January 7, 201214 yr I saw a lot on some other message boards. And it wasn't just about Wall, but also Knight, and now Teague. Teague can be debated. Wall & Knight not even close. It doesn't mean every UL fan claimed that, but there were many that did--at least those that frequent message boards. I think what is happening to Siva is that he's struggling from not having that consistent scorer that he had last year in Preston Knowles. Agree.
January 7, 201214 yr Why? Because ALL of my friends that are UL fans would totally disagree and they would laugh too. I even asked a couple of them to see. 1st thing they did was a huge smile and say the opposite. Reverse 80% rule maybe?
January 7, 201214 yr Because ALL of my friends that are UL fans would totally disagree and they would laugh too. I even asked a couple of them to see. 1st thing they did was a huge smile and say the opposite. Reverse 80% rule maybe? Well, I guess i just run with different UL fans....and glad I do, frankly. Why would Wall have been better for UL than Siva?
January 7, 201214 yr Well, I guess i just run with different UL fans....and glad I do, frankly. Why would Wall have been better for UL than Siva? You don't think having the #1 overall pick in the NBA Draft is better than having a four-year guy who likely will never play in the league? During Siva's two years, UL has flamed out in the first round of the tournament...you don't think having someone like Wall would help get them to at least the second round in one of those years? That Wall & Knowles would have made a much better backcourt combination? Will Siva ever have a year that will statistically compare to John Wall's one year? He's yet to average 10 ppg. in a season. I guess I'm trying to see the rationale used in choosing Siva over Wall.
January 7, 201214 yr You don't think having the #1 overall pick in the NBA Draft is better than having a four-year guy who likely will never play in the league? During Siva's two years, UL has flamed out in the first round of the tournament...you don't think having someone like Wall would help get them to at least the second round in one of those years? That Wall & Knowles would have made a much better backcourt combination? Will Siva ever have a year that will statistically compare to John Wall's one year? He's yet to average 10 ppg. in a season. I guess I'm trying to see the rationale used in choosing Siva over Wall. Wall would have helped us 1 season. I'm trying to see the rationale that a 1 year player is better than a (likely) 4 year player, and not just relative to Siva...as a whole. There are other things to consider than whether the player will play in the NBA. Frankly, I really don't care about that at all. It doesn't make the program better in the long run.
January 7, 201214 yr Wall would have helped us 1 season. I'm trying to see the rationale that a 1 year player is better than a (likely) 4 year player, and not just relative to Siva...as a whole. There are other things to consider than whether the player will play in the NBA. Frankly, I really don't care about that at all. It doesn't make the program better in the long run. I'm not saying one year guys are always better than four year guys. I'm saying this particular one year guy is better than this particular four year guy.
January 7, 201214 yr I'm not saying one year guys are always better than four year guys. I'm saying this particular one year guy is better than this particular four year guy. In one year, which is all you can use to gauge, as Wall didn't stay. I think it's silly to compare a 1 year college player to one that is now a 3 year, and likely will have a 4th. Is it possible that Wall could have gotten hurt in a future season? What if Siva hadn't? Those questions and a host of other what-if's make the question impossible to answer, and again....I already stated I would rather have Siva over Wall. My main reason is that I feel to have a program built for longevity, you need multi-year players...I don't at all like it when players leave early, and I (maybe the only one on the planet) do NOT want UL going the route of one and dones. And although you say proving that with Siva on the team instead of Wall is a detriment due to the flameouts in the NCAA tourney....aren't you at all disappointed that with all the draft picks UK has had the last 3 years, they haven't gotten a championship? Granted, I don't think their draft order has anything to do with gauging their college play. But if that's one of the criteria used to base the value of Wall vs. Siva on the college level, then I think it's a fair question.
January 7, 201214 yr Also, another factor to consider is that Pitino is not big on playing freshmen the way Wall got to play. So, there's something else to consider.
January 7, 201214 yr In one year, which is all you can use to gauge, as Wall didn't stay. I think it's silly to compare a 1 year college player to one that is now a 3 year, and likely will have a 4th. Is it possible that Wall could have gotten hurt in a future season? What if Siva hadn't? Those questions and a host of other what-if's make the question impossible to answer, and again....I already stated I would rather have Siva over Wall. My main reason is that I feel to have a program built for longevity, you need multi-year players...I don't at all like it when players leave early, and I (maybe the only one on the planet) do NOT want UL going the route of one and dones. And although you say proving that with Siva on the team instead of Wall is a detriment due to the flameouts in the NCAA tourney....aren't you at all disappointed that with all the draft picks UK has had the last 3 years, they haven't gotten a championship? Granted, I don't think their draft order has anything to do with gauging their college play. But if that's one of the criteria used to base the value of Wall vs. Siva on the college level, then I think it's a fair question. As a UK fan, I'm not a fan of the one and done either, but Cal and Ricky P are recruiting a lot of the same kids. So it stands to reason that if UL wants the most talented players too, they just aren't getting them right now. It will turn and they will get some of them too and then you will have to deal with it. It is part of the business. Duke fans that I hang out with stand up year after year and say they don't like 1 and dones, but they recruited Wall and company too. Got Rivers and will watch him be 1 and done.
January 7, 201214 yr Also, another factor to consider is that Pitino is not big on playing freshmen the way Wall got to play. So, there's something else to consider. That's because he doesn't have any that are even close to the level of Wall. He doesn't have a choice.
January 7, 201214 yr Wall would have helped us 1 season. I'm trying to see the rationale that a 1 year player is better than a (likely) 4 year player, and not just relative to Siva...as a whole. There are other things to consider than whether the player will play in the NBA. Frankly, I really don't care about that at all. It doesn't make the program better in the long run. Holistically, I am agreeing with many of your points. This one I can't agree with at all. I could see how you'd rather have 4 year players and all that. However, John Wall became iconic at UK. What he did for UK in one year extended much more than that one year. It set a precedent and a pace for the organization that, since, has been kept. Siva has not even put himself on the map. The 4-year vs. 1-and-done argument is a poor one when comparing Wall to Siva, because Wall has the unique advantage of presenting a charisma that's stuck with the program two years since his departure.
January 7, 201214 yr In one year, which is all you can use to gauge, as Wall didn't stay. I think it's silly to compare a 1 year college player to one that is now a 3 year, and likely will have a 4th. Is it possible that Wall could have gotten hurt in a future season? What if Siva hadn't? Those questions and a host of other what-if's make the question impossible to answer, and again....I already stated I would rather have Siva over Wall. My main reason is that I feel to have a program built for longevity, you need multi-year players...I don't at all like it when players leave early, and I (maybe the only one on the planet) do NOT want UL going the route of one and dones. And although you say proving that with Siva on the team instead of Wall is a detriment due to the flameouts in the NCAA tourney....aren't you at all disappointed that with all the draft picks UK has had the last 3 years, they haven't gotten a championship? Granted, I don't think their draft order has anything to do with gauging their college play. But if that's one of the criteria used to base the value of Wall vs. Siva on the college level, then I think it's a fair question. I'm saying that if I have a choice between John Wall for one year vs. Peton Siva for four years, I'm taking Wall. Siva's body of work--at least for 2 1/2 years--has yet to match what Wall accomplished in one. Of course I would like for UK to have won a championship. But I'd rather they go to an Elite Eight & Final Four than lose consecutive first round games to California & Morehead State respectively. Would I take Wall over every four-year guy? No way. My mind is drawing a blank right now on four-year PG's, but I think I'd prefer four years of Kansas' Sherron Collins over Wall. And I would most certainly prefer Duke's Nolan Smith, even though he was a 2 a lot of times. But over Peyton Siva, I absolutely would. And I'm not hating on Siva, because by all accounts, he seems like a quality kid & a good talent. I'm looking at these two players specifically; not just one-year guys vs. multiple year guys.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.