Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Can One Root for Two Teams in the Same Conference?

Featured Replies

I think there is a really big difference in people that say they root for different conference foes and those that want them both to do well. The true test is when they take on one another. Are you truly conflicted? If you are, then you can actually say you root for both.

I root for UK and Morehead State in hoops, UK in football and whoever I bet on. HAHA

Saw a lady at the USF/UofL game in Louisville a few years ago, that had a half USF half UofL sweatshirt on. She pointed to the UofL half and said, "This where I graduated from.", then pointing to the USF half, she said, "This is where my money goes."

I have a bigger problem with 'I root for UK basketball and ______ football'. That is my #1 pet peeve!
I moved from Alabama to Kentucky when I was 10. I spent all my summers in Alabama. Huge Joe Namath fan/Snake/ loved the Bear. have two sons names after Bear /Joe so Bama football is in my heart.

 

But as a 10 year old who loves sports, I never played basketball. In Gym class I couldn't even make a layup in the 7th grade. But all my buds either like Wes Unseld or Pat Riley (Rupp Runts). I started listening to the Cats basketball with my friends, and got into them. So when they played Bama in basketball I pulled for the Cats. Its two different sports at different times of the year. You couldn't even see Bama basketball unless they played the Pistol or UK.

 

Can't help the way I feel. In 1978 Bama won NC/UK won NC/ and the Yanks won WS.

 

So, when I started to follow UK basketball it was 1966, and it was fun, but they didn't win the NCAA until 12 years later. I was 25

I guess my problem with it stems really from living in Kentucky, North Carolina, Alabama, and Tennessee as an adult. All four of those states claim to have the most passionate fan base ever...only they pick and choose which sports they love about THEIR schools. I'm just a fan of UK. Now, do I follow other schools and players? Sure. I just get tired of fans getting excited about their school in "the other sport" every now and then when they are decent.

I guess my problem with it stems really from living in Kentucky, North Carolina, Alabama, and Tennessee as an adult. All four of those states claim to have the most passionate fan base ever...only they pick and choose which sports they love about THEIR schools. I'm just a fan of UK. Now, do I follow other schools and players? Sure. I just get tired of fans getting excited about their school in "the other sport" every now and then when they are decent.
Nice points and I understand what you are saying, but for me back when I was getting into my Roots of teams the TV channels were so much different than for like my 14 year old in todays time. I even subscribed to the Birmingham News for the Sunday paper to get info on our games.

Pull for Kentucky in basketball but I am a big Florida Gator fan in football. Will pull for UK in football except for when playing Gators and will pull for Gators in basketball except when playing UK.

I have a hard enough time following two teams that aren't even in the same league and I have no idea how people do it with two in the same league or the few I know that follow even more teams. I've witnessed three Louisville-Dayton basketball games since I enrolled at UD and each was agonizing (though I fully admit I cheered loudly for Dayton in all three; all three were Dayton wins... Go Flyers).

Nice points and I understand what you are saying, but for me back when I was getting into my Roots of teams the TV channels were so much different than for like my 14 year old in todays time. I even subscribed to the Birmingham News for the Sunday paper to get info on our games.

 

I understand that. In pro sports I was the same way. Big Cowboys and Braves fan in the 80's when I was a kid. Have no real ties to the teams and my "fanhood" is no more with either of them and wasn't in the 90's either. I guess that is why I love UK so much. Home state school and I can get behind the entire program.

I understand that. In pro sports I was the same way. Big Cowboys and Braves fan in the 80's when I was a kid. Have no real ties to the teams and my "fanhood" is no more with either of them and wasn't in the 90's either. I guess that is why I love UK so much. Home state school and I can get behind the entire program.
Yep, and my Bama buddies don't understand why I cannot pull 100 % for the, well all Bama Sports. I love soccer and Bama doesn't even have a Men's team. Go Cards!

What if you attended one school and your son/daughter plays for another?

^^^Great question, my son wants to kick in college and lets say Tennessee/Auburn/LSU/Norte Dame/Ohio State offers him a scholarship. Its my list of my least favorite schools with football programs. I need to ponder on this one as I hope others also play along.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.