Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

OVC denies NKU the opportunity to join Conference

Featured Replies

Pay attention, son. I didn't say EKU had a problem. I used them to show the absurdity that any OTHER school would have to show to use that as an excuse.

 

I think NKU got burned. They floated the OVC story a while ago and now it turns out they're not that interesting to the OVC.

 

They are now scrambling to find a crappy conference to play in.

 

Sorry Dad I didn't realize that you were using EKU for comparative purposes. Tell mom I need more meetloaf by the way.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think, that the OVC had a concern that if NKU entered into the OVC, then with having four members from Kentucky EKU, Murray, Moorehead and new member NKU that they would yield too much power?

Do you think, that the OVC had a concern that if NKU entered into the OVC, then with having four members from Kentucky EKU, Murray, Moorehead and new member NKU that they would yield too much power?

 

I'd wondered the same, especially with all 3 KY schools voting in favor of adding NKU, perhaps they thought it would be too much KY influence.

Sorry Dad I didn't realize that you were using EKU for comparative purposes. Tell mom I need more meetloaf by the way.

 

Mom said she will after you do your spelling homework.

Do you think, that the OVC had a concern that if NKU entered into the OVC, then with having four members from Kentucky EKU, Murray, Moorehead and new member NKU that they would yield too much power?

 

So you're thinking there would be a KY contingent that votes as a block?

 

Don't buy it. No school in the world is looking out for anything than themselves.

 

What possibly could come up that would have a "KY influence?"

Mom said she will after you do your spelling homework.

 

Tell her...... ah nm, dang autocorrect.

  • Author
For the record, I'm a proud NKU alum.

 

With that, what is appealing to any conference in regards to NKU?

 

They're a blip on the college b-ball screen in the metro area.

 

They have zero fan support.

 

They have very few students on campus to suppor the team. You think students are going to go home and then drive back to see Kennesaw State?

 

As a good friend said their radio deal is 2 tin cans and a string.

 

I would think that a conference would want to add a school that will be very competitive in many of the sports. Several national championships in multiple sports over the years. Not to mention, I would imagine that its the fastest growing schools in the state of KY, and probably in and around the region.

 

There is a lot of upside for the future of NKU I feel like. It's changed a lot over the last 10 years and a ton in the last 5, in regards to facilities, academic buildings, academic standards, and etc.

  • Author

I'm somewhat confused about the funding model as well part of this as well.

 

You raise good questions Clyde, and I obviously don't have the answer to them. But I really don't think this is a Votruba spin, he's not really that type of individual. Now if this was a John Calipari, who is a PR genius, I would completely believe a spin was put on it lol.

I don't.

 

Seems like spin from NKU.

Bingo ...

The OVC is currently at 12 teams with the addition of Belmont, which enters the league next year. There is no reason to go to 13 teams.

 

Some OVC schools reportedly had some concerns about letting Belmont in because it doesn't have a football program, which some deem a competitive advantage. But Belmont has a high profile in mid-major basketball and adds something to the league.

 

Northern Kentucky doesn't, to be honest. I would rather have the Norse than SIU-Edwardsville, but their ship tried to dock about 2-3 years too late.

I would think that a conference would want to add a school that will be very competitive in many of the sports. Several national championships in multiple sports over the years. Not to mention, I would imagine that its the fastest growing schools in the state of KY, and probably in and around the region.

 

There is a lot of upside for the future of NKU I feel like. It's changed a lot over the last 10 years and a ton in the last 5, in regards to facilities, academic buildings, academic standards, and etc.

 

Basketball is the only sport that the conferences will use to determine if they're interested in NKU. The rest is fluff.

 

No radio presence.

 

No fan support.

 

99% of NKY sports fans cannot name the starting 5 for NKU.

 

That's not good.

I'm somewhat confused about the funding model as well part of this as well.

 

You raise good questions Clyde, and I obviously don't have the answer to them. But I really don't think this is a Votruba spin, he's not really that type of individual. Now if this was a John Calipari, who is a PR genius, I would completely believe a spin was put on it lol.

 

Maybe Mr. Votruba is in save-face mode after someone or some people let it be known through the ol' grapevine that the OVC was interested when in reality they were not.

  • Author
Maybe Mr. Votruba is in save-face mode after someone or some people let it be known through the ol' grapevine that the OVC was interested when in reality they were not.

 

I'd say that if 8 University Presidents voted in favor of NKU, and they only needed on more, then they must have been pretty interested.

 

You make good points in the post above this one, but to say that the OVC wasn't interested is just wrong. Only needed one more vote.

The OVC is currently at 12 teams with the addition of Belmont, which enters the league next year. There is no reason to go to 13 teams.

 

Some OVC schools reportedly had some concerns about letting Belmont in because it doesn't have a football program, which some deem a competitive advantage. But Belmont has a high profile in mid-major basketball and adds something to the league.

 

Northern Kentucky doesn't, to be honest. I would rather have the Norse than SIU-Edwardsville, but their ship tried to dock about 2-3 years too late.

 

FWIW, Jacksonville State is widely known for wanting to leave the OVC.

FWIW, Jacksonville State is widely known for wanting to leave the OVC.
There is talk they may go I-A in football and join the Sun Belt. If so, the OVC will be in the market for someone. I wouldn't be surprised if Lipscomb is the next target.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.