Whitley County 27 Somerset 21

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be disrespectful but I really don't know what game you were watching if you thought that Somerset outplayed Whitley County most of the night. In the first quarter Whitley had 17 offensive plays, Somerset had 3 (three, III). Whitley had 20 first downs Somerset had 9 (nine, IX) Boston Bryant had 179 yards rushing, Somerset had something in the neighborhood of 140 AS A TEAM. Somerset had a great drive with the last meaningful possession but when it came time to make plays with the game on the line, it was Whitley making plays; diving tackle by Ysidro to stop a TD, penalties at critical times by SHS. The tipped pass by the DB to end the SHS threat. Then there was the last drive and 4th down play, then the reverse pass and catch, the Boss Bryant forcing his will on multiple SHS defenders to get into the endzone, without the help of the officials blocking for him. No I think it is safe to say WCHS outplayed SHS, and actually could have put them away early if their offense had not sputtered in the second quarter.

Whitley executed a nice game plan by playing keep away and it worked. Somerset has a great bunch of athletes and Whitley knew they had to keep the ball out of their hands.

You are right as to not get into the officiating. But I will....they were inept!!!!! They missed calls on both side of the ball, and I have watched the film several times and every TD called back was a legit call. Officials don't throw flags to call back TDs, they call them back because they saw (real or imaginary) rules infraction. But lets face facts, Whitley had some bad calls or non-calls too.

The best TEAM won. Somerset without a doubt has more and better athletes but Whitley has a better TEAM!!! The sum of the parts are much better than the individuals standing alone.

They did miss calls on both sides. Somerset should have been called for a late hit on a tackle near the Whitley sideline that the coaches and fans were upset about. The clip on the punt return was completely legit, and unnecessary--that touchdown definately should have been called back. The 2 called back on the final drive by Somerset were really bad calls. You could not have watched the film if you thought those 2 were legit. The second one is very clear on the film. On it #7 for Somerset gets his helmet on the front of the shoulder pads of the Colonel defender and has his hands on his waist and rides him right by the ball carrier. As the defender passes the ball carrier he tries to spin and is ridden to the ground by the blocker--that was the only time any contact was made with his back, and perfectly legal. The official was watching the block the whole time and only dropped the flag at this point as #22 crossed the goal line with the ball. It was a very poor call.

As far as outplaying Whitley I wasn't talking about yardage totals. Somerset fumbled inside the 5 and had those 2 touchdowns called back on the final drive. Even after the first one was called back on a questionable call the Jumpers were able to score again only to have it called back on a very poor call. Without the fumble and poor call Somerset wins the game by a touchdown. Whitley deserves the credit for making some big plays at the end and coming out with a win but this is a game that the Briar Jumpers should have won--2 self inflicted errors prevented 2 touchdowns and a poor call another. Good luck Whitley, you should do very well in district play and could very well be playing for a regional title if you can get the 2nd seed.

Didn't you think MC would win 8 games.......you better rethink that one along with calls you are talking about!!!
NO, I never said they would win 8 games, I said 8 winnable games. What does that have to do with Whitley Co. Somerset game. On the last drive Somerset had 2 TD's called back on bad calls.Hats off to Whitley Co. they plkayed a great game. Good Luck the rest of the way.

No mention of the 2 called back TD. Just proves we see what we want to see.

No this is just reporting, no opinions, no bias, no whining. Bottom line, Somerset could have and honestly should have won the game, they had the lead and all they had to do was stop Whitley County on ONE drive. They could not, period end of story, end of game. I don't see you complaining about the late hits, and cheap shots that were taken by SHS during the game. One of which led to a WC player being unable to play this week due to concussion, and one to a hyper extended elbow. Or the head slaps on the last offensive play by Somerset.

Certainly, the crew that called the game was not perfect, no where near it. But I think that Whitley could give you just as many examples of how bad it really was, fact is they were inept. Somerset had the lead and 85 yards of field to defend and they could not, Somerset complained about the late hit which aided the last drive, but Whitley had the same complaint about the personal foul on #10 for tackling out of bounds, he engaged the player inbounds but finished out of bounds, just like what Somerset is saying who is right? Well in this case they both probably are, but it was at a more critical point in the game for Somerset. And THEY still had the chance to stop the Colonels but they could not.....4th and about 7.....Whitley picks up 15, did an official make any blocks on that one? Did an official catch the ball for the Whitley receiver? NO! Did an official run the ball down the throat of the Somerset defense? No Boston Bryant did...LOL.

Time to stop the whining and move on to the next game.