The Amazing Spider-Man

Incredibly stupid to reboot this IMO. Count me among those who won't be seeing it. No sense in rewarding Hollywood's incredible lack of creativity and originality.

While my displeasure for this film persists, it looks like I actually am going to see it. Junior Parker really wants to see it, so I have caved in.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ A follow-up to your original post, the only reason the film was made was that Sony has to make one every so often or lose the rights to the Spider-Man character and all those in that universe. That's why they went with the reboot so quickly. Same thing you see things like X-Men Origins: Wolverine and X-Men: First Class from Fox (though First Class was good - Wolverine, not so much). Which is unfortunate, because so far Marvel has been pretty well lights out with every film that has been under their jurisdiction. I'd like to see Disney just buy back the rights to these characters if they don't just revert.

In a tangential note, Fox is in danger of losing Daredevil if they don't get cracking soon. The story just broke that the director for that reboot just pulled out of the project. Word is that Fox has to get started by the fall or they'll be in serious danger of not getting a film out in time to avoid the rights reverting. The clock is ticking on Fantastic Four as well.

^ A follow-up to your original post, the only reason the film was made was that Sony has to make one every so often or lose the rights to the Spider-Man character and all those in that universe.

I heard that a while back & it does make the reboot more understandable. I still think it's a little silly to totally reboot the thing, but with Spidey being the cash cow that it is, I can see why they've done this.

I watched it with my boys and we all enjoyed.

If you like the previous Spiderman movies you will like this new one.

Sony has noticed the success of Batman...

With this version, they are trying to remove the cartoonish aspect of the previous movies. An example of this is that Spidey's web is no longer part of him ... it's now a gadget attached to his wrist.

Batman is a good example of making things appear as the real deal ... it's darker ... it's more human

I watched it with my boys and we all enjoyed.

If you like the previous Spiderman movies you will like this new one.

Sony has noticed the success of Batman...

With this version, they are trying to remove the cartoonish aspect of the previous movies. An example of this is that Spidey's web is no longer part of him ... it's now a gadget attached to his wrist.

Batman is a good example of making things appear as the real deal ... it's darker ... it's more human

Which is how it was in the comics.

Just got back. My evaluation is that it was a good film, but I don't believe it's better than the first Spiderman. Certainly not better than Spiderman 2.

The strongest point of the reboot is Emma Stone. She's leaps & bounds a better love interest than Dunst. Of course, Habib is better than Kirsten Dunst. :lol: I also like Denis Leary being in this one, but I like him in just about everything.

The weakest point is that in many aspects, it is a carbon copy of the first film, meaning very little suspense & intrigue. Even some of the more dramatic elements were the same, like when Spidey hangs from a bridge while also holding onto a car. I also thought The Lizard was a ho-hum villain compared to Green Goblin & especially to Dr. Octopus.

As far as Spiderman himself, I don't think Garfield is any better than Maguire. The two are about the same IMO. I agree that this reboot was less cartoonish than the first film, but it certainly doesn't come close to the realism of Chris Nolan's Batman stuff.

Just got back. My evaluation is that it was a good film, but I don't believe it's better than the first Spiderman. Certainly not better than Spiderman 2.

The strongest point of the reboot is Emma Stone. She's leaps & bounds a better love interest than Dunst. Of course, Habib is better than Kirsten Dunst. :lol: I also like Denis Leary being in this one, but I like him in just about everything.

The weakest point is that in many aspects, it is a carbon copy of the first film, meaning very little suspense & intrigue. Even some of the more dramatic elements were the same, like when Spidey hangs from a bridge while also holding onto a car. I also thought The Lizard was a ho-hum villain compared to Green Goblin & especially to Dr. Octopus.

As far as Spiderman himself, I don't think Garfield is any better than Maguire. The two are about the same IMO. I agree that this reboot was less cartoonish than the first film, but it certainly doesn't come close to the realism of Chris Nolan's Batman stuff.

Could not agree more on every single thing you said, except not even a good film for me. Average© at best. Love Emma Stone in everything though, not a Garfield or Maquire fan whatsoever and Leary can never do any wrong in my book.

• 4 months later...
What is Electro's story? I've never heard of him. I really like Jamie Foxx, so I might actually anticipate watching this film.

I'm a little rusty on him, but he's shown up in pretty much all of the long-standing Marvel books from time to time, but I think he's primarily a Spider-Man villain. He was an electrical lineman who gained his power through a freak lightning strike accident. He can shoot lightning bolts and control anything that runs on an electrical current, and I believe he can fly. I don't really know much of his backstory beyond that, but his skillset of powers could certainly make for an interesting bad guy...

I'm a little rusty on him, but he's shown up in pretty much all of the long-standing Marvel books from time to time, but I think he's primarily a Spider-Man villain. He was an electrical lineman who gained his power through a freak lightning strike accident. He can shoot lightning bolts and control anything that runs on an electrical current, and I believe he can fly. I don't really know much of his backstory beyond that, but his skillset of powers could certainly make for an interesting bad guy...

They also believe that he was used in the extra scene after the amazing spider man movie had ended.