Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Conner 4 Covington Catholic 2

Featured Replies

So how many innings did Maines go and did he start?

 

Maines 109 pitches 6 complete innings 27 PA 2 runs 2 earned runs 7 hits 1 walk and 9 K's

  • Replies 44
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how many innings did Maines go and did he start?

 

6 innings plus 2 batters in tne 7th.

Two reasons: Experience and he was completely overmatched this day. Simply looked liked the water was to deep. I would find it hard to believe that Krumps was not seeing what I was seeing. If I had a senior that could of hit (Shumate) in that situation, I think I would have utilized that option. I saw Krumps come to the umpire and I was shocked to see the freshman stay for his AB.

 

Last game of the regular season against Campbell Count. Grant Schriever hits a single and then scores as CovCath comes back to tie the game in the seventh and in the eight he wins the game with a RBI single to end the game.

 

Players have bad games but you stick with who got you there and Grant got CovCath to that point all season long.

Conner Has Impressed Me This Tournement. With NewCath Upsetting Boone Tonight. From What I've Seen In All The Games This Tournement, I Like Conners Chances Of Going To State.

Baseball is without a doubt the toughest tournament to win and predict. Unless a team has dominant pitchers, it is anybody's game every night when competitive teams play. Very few, if any, had Conner versus NCC for the title. Very good teams. I am sure some picked Conner. I am sure a fair number picked NCC. But I doubt there are many that picked the both to be there.

Hart also made a real nice defensive play at 3rd base in the 6th - he went to his right to snag the ball and fired on to first for the out. Real nice play - but what was he wearing on his head? He looked like some kind of skunk on a bad day.....or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

I caught the last 4 innings of the CC / Conner game and the CovCath boys did not look good in the field today. Talked with an CCH assistant after the game and he said Krumps tried everything to get the kids moving---they just didn't have it tonight. Big turning point in the game was when Krumps made a double switch and changed shortstops. No need to mention names--but the replacement was involved in two plays that should have been easy outs---both resulted in a botched play (and of course, the runner ultimately scored).

 

Conner played their typical, aggressive style---tonight it worked for them.

Hart also made a real nice defensive play at 3rd base in the 6th - he went to his right to snag the ball and fired on to first for the out. Real nice play - but what was he wearing on his head? He looked like some kind of skunk on a bad day.....or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

I Think He Did It Right Before The Ryle District Tournement Game.. They've Been On A Roll Since.

Hart also made a real nice defensive play at 3rd base in the 6th - he went to his right to snag the ball and fired on to first for the out. Real nice play - but what was he wearing on his head? He looked like some kind of skunk on a bad day.....or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

 

Pepe Le Pew....it was definitely a skunk

100% agreement. He is very calm and encouraging and that is contagious. Many coaches just are WAY too uptight about baseball and you have to be relaxed and have fun to do well IMO. Congrats to the Coach Arlo and the Cougars and best wishes in the Championship game. I would love to see Conner take home the prize! Good luck on in the finals!

 

It was interesting to see the contrast in coaching styles. Ol' Krumpelbeck yelling from the coach's box at his batter for doing the obligitory fake bunt on a 2-0 count (don't know why Krumpelbeck didn't approve) - although it worked because the batter lined a single to right center a few pitches later. And Krumpelbeck yelling at his runner who got thrown out at third on a bunt (with runners on first and second) that was hit right back to Maines - who turned and fired for the easy out at third. I guess Coach thought the runner didn't get a good enough lead? Believe me, I'm not criticizing Krumpelbeck - just comparing styles. Compared to Arlinghaus whose runner got thrown out at third later in the game - I think it was Fogle - not sure - the runner had no business trying to take the extra base from 2nd to 3rd and got easily thrown out to end the inning - Arlinghaus just smiled and the player went back to the field - no earful - just a little love.

Good win for Conner.

 

They remind me alot of Boone last year getting hot at the right time.

It was interesting to see the contrast in coaching styles. Ol' Krumpelbeck yelling from the coach's box at his batter for doing the obligitory fake bunt on a 2-0 count (don't know why Krumpelbeck didn't approve) - although it worked because the batter lined a single to right center a few pitches later. And Krumpelbeck yelling at his runner who got thrown out at third on a bunt (with runners on first and second) that was hit right back to Maines - who turned and fired for the easy out at third. I guess Coach thought the runner didn't get a good enough lead? Believe me, I'm not criticizing Krumpelbeck - just comparing styles. Compared to Arlinghaus whose runner got thrown out at third later in the game - I think it was Fogle - not sure - the runner had no business trying to take the extra base from 2nd to 3rd and got easily thrown out to end the inning - Arlinghaus just smiled and the player went back to the field - no earful - just a little love.

 

Coach K. doesn't need me defending him, but coaches have to be themselves. I am quite certain the CCH faithful are happy with all the wins the Colonels have put up over the years, not to mention a state championship. I like Arlo too, and remember, he played for Bill at CovCath, but his personality is more low key and loose, and for him to be otherwise would not be true to his persona.

 

Different styles work with different individuals at different times and different schools. I have been to many a Conner game when parents and fans were critical of Arlo and moves and his demeanor. I didn't think that was right either. Of the major sports, baseball is by far and away the most difficult to predict and get consistent effort from high schoolers. I commend both coaches on their careers to this point, and like both of their styles.

How many times do you see a regional semi-final where one team doesn't take infield practice prior to the game and the kids get to make that decision?

Maines pitched 6 and had 9 Ks.

 

Has he pitched much this year? Other than Cooperstown mentioning him in a thread as being Conner's best pitcher I don't recall seeing his name a lot.

 

P.S. He triggered the first two runs with a double.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.