Covington Catholic 3 Newport 0

Clyde

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cov Cath didn't get a bad deal either. Easy first round draw and then face the winner of two teams that are also not deep pitching-wise. I see a CCH-Boone finals matchup and, if so, would go with Boone because they are a better hitting team.

Bellevue. Newport was 7-15 on the season. Wins were: Dayton (2x), Bellevue (2x), Villa Madonna, Highlands, and St. Henry.

Would be one of the biggest upsets in 9th Region history. I'd say the chances are around 100-1. Just because I'm in a generous mood. :D

Man wouldn't that have been embarrassing today, if CovCath didn't hang on to win to beat that horrible Newport team you have talked about. You sure have went out of your way to put them down over the last week, and keep trying to basically say they are just a bad team with no chance in your post. I guess we all should not take CovCath that seriously for the rest of the tournament, since they could barely beat that bad team as you say from Newport who had no chance. It's not like they had guys in scoring position in 4 of the 7 innings, and just couldn't get the hit to get them in or anything. Or else CovCath would have been sitting at home the rest of the tournament.

Obviously that was a lot of sarcasm in my post just now, however this is just another case you should never judge a book by its cover. Yes we all know their record was not that good this year, however they did what they had to do to get in the region. Which is silly to dislike to, since all sports have divisions, and all sports have divisions not as strong as others. They did what they had to do to get in. And as I tried to tell you, they had started playing better by the end of the year, and was healthy with their best nine starters for the end of the year. They were one to two hits away from winning this game. Which I give CovCath credit because they did come up with the big hits when they needed in the 5th and 6th to get guys in. While Newport failed to do so, however it is fair to say that Newport surprised a lot of people today including CovCath. Which I believed I told you they would surprise people, never said they would win but did say they could surprise and I think its safe to say I was right! :)

Good luck to CovCath the rest of the way. I do think it will be them and NCC in the finals, but NCC winning it.

That's baseball. A pitcher has a good day, the hitters don't show up and any decent team can beat another in one game. Nice job by Newport playing well and giving themselves a chance for a huge upset. But the Colonels got it done and move on to game 2.

CCH pitching won this game.

CovCath pitching did do a very good job today. As Voice of Reason said, if the hitters don't show up then any team can be beat. Which I know he was talking about CovCath's batters, however the same could be said for Newport today. Newport's 3 and 4 hitters were held hitless today, and two times Newport had their 3 hitter up with guys in scoring position, and he was someone who has been having big hits all year, including against better competition. It just didn't happen today, CovCath did a good job holding him down, and the #4 hitter. That was the difference in the game, because Newport had guys in scoring position in 4 of the 7 innings, but just never got the hit to get them in. While CovCath was able to do that in the 5th and 6th. CovCath deserved to win, because they made the plays. However I tried to tell people that Newport had some talent, and was playing better and could surprise people. Yet I caught a lot of heat from people on here for saying that. People were basing opinions on things withouth really seeing the team play, you can't judge a book by its cover.

It was a great game to see, and good luck to CovCath the rest of the way.

CovCath still has their top 2 starters and top 2 relievers available.

They are in good shape, and I do think they will make the finals. People will say they didn't hit well today, however they did hit the ball hard quite a few times. Just Newport was playing very good defense, and was covering a lot of ground that a lot of people wouldn't have got to.

CovCath pitching did do a very good job today. As Voice of Reason said, if the hitters don't show up then any team can be beat. Which I know he was talking about CovCath's batters, however the same could be said for Newport today. Newport's 3 and 4 hitters were held hitless today, and two times Newport had their 3 hitter up with guys in scoring position, and he was someone who has been having big hits all year, including against better competition. It just didn't happen today, CovCath did a good job holding him down, and the #4 hitter. That was the difference in the game,because Newport had guys in scoring position in 4 of the 7 innings, but just never got the hit to get them in. While CovCath was able to do that in the 5th and 6th. CovCath deserved to win, because they made the plays. However I tried to tell people that Newport had some talent, and was playing better and could surprise people. Yet I caught a lot of heat from people on here for saying that. People were basing opinions on things withouth really seeing the team play, you can't judge a book by its cover.

It was a great game to see, and good luck to CovCath the rest of the way.

I think that credit should be given to the CovCath pitchers who were getting ground ball outs all day. Newport did not have a hit out of the infield until the fifth inning (although there were a few fly ball outs which obviously left the infield). Kudos to the Newport pitcher who kept the CovCath hitters off balance, and to the Newport fielders who made a number of impressive plays ( Newport was very strong up the middle -C, SS, 2B and CF).

Edited by Alex Chilton

Man wouldn't that have been embarrassing today, if CovCath didn't hang on to win to beat that horrible Newport team you have talked about. You sure have went out of your way to put them down over the last week, and keep trying to basically say they are just a bad team with no chance in your post. I guess we all should not take CovCath that seriously for the rest of the tournament, since they could barely beat that bad team as you say from Newport who had no chance. It's not like they had guys in scoring position in 4 of the 7 innings, and just couldn't get the hit to get them in or anything. Or else CovCath would have been sitting at home the rest of the tournament.

Obviously that was a lot of sarcasm in my post just now, however this is just another case you should never judge a book by its cover. Yes we all know their record was not that good this year, however they did what they had to do to get in the region. Which is silly to dislike to, since all sports have divisions, and all sports have divisions not as strong as others. They did what they had to do to get in. And as I tried to tell you, they had started playing better by the end of the year, and was healthy with their best nine starters for the end of the year. They were one to two hits away from winning this game. Which I give CovCath credit because they did come up with the big hits when they needed in the 5th and 6th to get guys in. While Newport failed to do so, however it is fair to say that Newport surprised a lot of people today including CovCath. Which I believed I told you they would surprise people, never said they would win but did say they could surprise and I think its safe to say I was right! :)

Good luck to CovCath the rest of the way. I do think it will be them and NCC in the finals, but NCC winning it.

Relax junior. :cool: Yes, they played CCH tight and made them earn it. Good for them. Not sure which of my above posts contained something not accurate. At the end of the day, they got to qualify from a district that perenially places a second seed with a sub-.500 record, who has to beat no one of signuficance to advance, and has little chance of winning a game at region. With respect to your "all sports have divisions and all disvisons aren't as strong . . .", when is the last time two teams from the Highlands/Newport/Bellevue/Dayton grouping had above .500 seasons in the same year? I don't know the answer to that question, I'm only thinking aloud, but I'm going to guess a long time (possibly 2009 when Bellevue had Hunter Jones). I'm cool with a district/divison's strength fluctuating, but this 36th's doesn't. NCC is good year in and year out. The others are weak, year in and year out. Enough on this topic. Newport put up a good fight and I'm glad CCH was tested, but ultimately Newport was shut out for the fifth time this year. That's alot.

CCh is going to have their hands full with Conner. . . . .

Relax junior. :cool: Yes, they played CCH tight and made them earn it. Good for them. Not sure which of my above posts contained something not accurate. At the end of the day, they got to qualify from a district that perenially places a second seed with a sub-.500 record, who has to beat no one of signuficance to advance, and has little chance of winning a game at region. With respect to your "all sports have divisions and all disvisons aren't as strong . . .", when is the last time two teams from the Highlands/Newport/Bellevue/Dayton grouping had above .500 seasons in the same year? I don't know the answer to that question, I'm only thinking aloud, but I'm going to guess a long time (possibly 2009 when Bellevue had Hunter Jones). I'm cool with a district/divison's strength fluctuating, but this 36th's doesn't. NCC is good year in and year out. The others are weak, year in and year out. Enough on this topic. Newport put up a good fight and I'm glad CCH was tested, but ultimately Newport was shut out for the fifth time this year. That's alot.

CCh is going to have their hands full with Conner. . . . .

Your right they were shut out, and that is why they didn't win. They had guys in scoring position in 4 of the 7 innings, they just couldn't come up with the hit to get them in. That is why I didn't predict that they would win, but I knew they were very capable of it and that is why I said they could surprise people. I know for a fact CovCath was surprise, and didn't expect the game to be this close. Especially being 0 to 0 still going to the bottom of the 5th.

You are right it is one of the weaker districts, however like it or not in all sports there is going to be a weak division. And there are going to be teams who come out of those weak divisions, that is just how it goes IN ALL SPORTS. There is no reason to question a team as much as you did, and continually put them down and basically say they have no right to be there, and say for the most part they have no chance to win like you did. We are talking about high school kids here, and there is no need to do that. ESPECIALLY when you don't know much about the team at all, if you did you would have seen what I saw to make me say that they very well could surprise people in the region like they did today. In the end of the day the better team is the one who advanced, so there is no need to make such a big deal out of who makes it like you had. The teams who are left earned their way to the final four in the region, even though EVERY TEAM had a chance to get to this spot because everyone played in the districts and had a chance to keep their seasons going.