Covington Catholic 3 Newport 0

Clyde

If you're going to have a discussion about top defensive OF'ers in NKY, there is zero question that Ryle's Caleb Lonkard should be in the conversation.

No disrespect to Leeke but Rodney Orr arm ovetakes even Leeke IMO. Orr's arm changes the game when taking extra bases and or tagging up.

That is my point, all these guys mentioned are great CF's. However Rodney Orr really does it all out there, has the speed, gets great jumps on balls, and to top it off he he has a rocket arm from centerfield. I don't think anyone outside of Newport thought he had a chance to throw out CovCath's runner at the plate yesterday after the basehit and he still got him. So all the guys named are great, however when it comes to doing it all at a very high level it would have to be him. I think if he was at a school like a CovCath, Ryle, etc. that this wouldn't be being even questioned. However as usual, when it comes to players from teams that might not been seen as much, or recognized as much. People have a hard time believing someone could be better from a top team who has a good player that position. Put him on one of those teams, and then people wouldn't even be questioning it IMO.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Future Coach I would put Travis Jones on that list of kids who if they went to a Ryle, Conner, CovCath, Dixie, Beechwood, Boone, or a NCC you would be hearing a lot more of.

I have watched the young man play the last couple of years and he has impressed the heck out of me. I believe it was his Grandfather that I spoke to last year when we played Newport at Newport and spoke to his Dad at Freedom on Monday and I express my joy in watching the kid preform. I inquired if he was going to get to play ball at the next level and he told me that he hasn't received any offers. D3 College Coaches, if your looking for a young man with a huge upside.....

Future Coach I would put Travis Jones on that list of kids who if they went to a Ryle, Conner, CovCath, Dixie, Beechwood, Boone, or a NCC you would be hearing a lot more of.

I have watched the young man play the last couple of years and he has impressed the heck out of me. I believe it was his Grandfather that I spoke to last year when we played Newport at Newport and spoke to his Dad at Freedom on Monday and I express my joy in watching the kid preform. I inquired if he was going to get to play ball at the next level and he told me that he hasn't received any offers. D3 College Coaches, if your looking for a young man with a huge upside.....

You would definitely be right about that, he is a very good ball player and just a good young man. He has a good positive attitude and a good work ethic. I do think we will see him playing college ball somewhere before its all said and done.

I have watched Travis Jones play over the years and he is one of or the best SS in NKY. Its just that he plays on a bad team and no one notices. "You can be a good player on a bad team". He hits,runs,fields well and is just an all around good player! Any college would be lucky if this kid falls in their lap. He is just as good a person and student as well as a very good baseball player.

I have watched Travis Jones play over the years and he is one of or the best SS in NKY. Its just that he plays on a bad team and no one notices. "You can be a good player on a bad team". He hits,runs,fields well and is just an all around good player! Any college would be lucky if this kid falls in their lap. He is just as good a person and student as well as a very good baseball player.

I've watched Travis "Choppy Jr." (sorry Chop, you're dad is still the original) play for many years...as a matter of fact, I've even watched him playing a little tee-ball. He's always played a year above his age. This has been the only season of his career that he has been an "older" kid on a team. He played for the District 22 KNOTHOLE, American Legion team from Newport that would routinely enter "select" tournaments and kick-butt, not to mention winning the Greater Cincinnati Knothole Tourney numerous times. The tropheys that this team collected was astronomical! It was a great group of ballplayers.

And yes, any college would be lucky to have this fine young man fall in their lap.

I've watched Travis "Choppy Jr." (sorry Chop, you're dad is still the original) play for many years...as a matter of fact, I've even watched him playing a little tee-ball. He's always played a year above his age. This has been the only season of his career that he has been an "older" kid on a team. He played for the District 22 KNOTHOLE, American Legion team from Newport that would routinely enter "select" tournaments and kick-butt, not to mention winning the Greater Cincinnati Knothole Tourney numerous times. The tropheys that this team collected was astronomical! It was a great group of ballplayers.

And yes, any college would be lucky to have this fine young man fall in their lap.

That had to be one of the best Knothole teams of all time. With the Jones' and Shaun Meyer pitching, they were unstoppable. My boys first Knothole playoff game was against them - American Legion - Post 11 I believe.