Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Xavier Streak Reaches 80

Featured Replies

The last 80 senior b-ballers at X have earned their degree. Dante Jackson makes #80 this weekend.

 

Impressive to say the least.

The last 80 senior b-ballers at X have earned their degree. Dante Jackson makes #80 this weekend.

 

Impressive to say the least.

 

 

Very impressive indeed.

The last 80 senior b-ballers at X have earned their degree. Dante Jackson makes #80 this weekend.

 

Impressive to say the least.

 

Key word there is senior basketballers. Impressive but as with any statistic, you can not look at it in a vacuum. I would be curious as to how other school's senior basketballers compare. I have to think it is a very high percentage at all schools once you get to senior year.

  • Author
Key word there is senior basketballers. Impressive but as with any statistic, you can not look at it in a vacuum. I would be curious as to how other school's senior basketballers compare. I have to think it is a very high percentage at all schools once you get to senior year.

 

VOR - you are 100% correct in regards to it being seniors.

 

I think you will be hard-pressed to find many programs who have had X's success with this level of academic success.

 

I would bet that none of the schools within 3 hours have that success. Agreed?

VOR - you are 100% correct in regards to it being seniors.

 

I think you will be hard-pressed to find many programs who have had X's success with this level of academic success.

 

I would bet that none of the schools within 3 hours have that success. Agreed?

 

That is what I don't know. I would be very surprised if any school has less than a 90% graduation rate with its senior basketballers. I will agree that 80 consecutive is probably the best in the area and definitely something to be very proud of, but I would like to see how the other schools compare.

  • Author
That is what I don't know. I would be very surprised if any school has less than a 90% graduation rate with its senior basketballers. I will agree that 80 consecutive is probably the best in the area and definitely something to be very proud of, but I would like to see how the other schools compare.

 

I checked with Mike DeCourcy just to see if my thinking was correct. His quote when I asked if 80 in a row in unusual:

 

Highly unusual. Especially given their b-ball success.

 

VOR - I'd be stunned if many had a 90% rate over a prolonged period of time.

^ That's what makes me so curious to see these numbers. How many four-year guys don't end up with a degree? I'd have thought it wouldn't be very many, but according to your guy, it's far more common than I would have ever thought.

Any basketball player that makes it to senior year and does not get a degree is an indictment of the student athlete and the school. Until I see numbers that are different, I have to believe there are very few schools with less than 90% of their seniors getting their degrees.

  • Author
Until I see numbers that are different, I have to believe there are very few schools with less than 90% of their seniors getting their degrees.

 

Two things make me question your 90% theory: DeCourcy's comment and basketball's overall weakness in graduating players. Basketball and baseball seem to be the two biggest culprits in overall graduation rates being lower than we would expect.

 

I've tried googling but I can't find a stat for the kids that stay 4 years.

^ Yeah Google has not been very helpful on this. I can find overall rates for schools, but not for simply four-year players.

Any basketball player that makes it to senior year and does not get a degree is an indictment of the student athlete and the school. Until I see numbers that are different, I have to believe there are very few schools with less than 90% of their seniors getting their degrees.

 

 

Most college students do not graduate in 4 years, so why would student athletes be at a higher percentage.

Most college students do not graduate in 4 years, so why would student athletes be at a higher percentage.

 

The key point here is we are talking about senior athletes. With the emphasis on graduation rates in athletics and the help of tutoring, I would expect basketball players to have a higher graduation percentage. Add in the fact that many of them likely take summer classes when they are on campus while most other students aren't. I may be wrong. But this discussion reminds me the baseball stat that a team has won 95% of their games when leading after 7 innings. That sounds impressive until you check the stats of other teams and find out that they all win 90% or more when leading after 7, even the bad teams. I would just like to see how that stat compares with other schools to find out how impressive it is.

Most college students do not graduate in 4 years, so why would student athletes be at a higher percentage.

 

Maybe because student-athletes graduate at a much higher rate than the general student body.

Maybe because student-athletes graduate at a much higher rate than the general student body.

 

Exactly!

  • Author
The key point here is we are talking about senior athletes. With the emphasis on graduation rates in athletics and the help of tutoring, I would expect basketball players to have a higher graduation percentage. Add in the fact that many of them likely take summer classes when they are on campus while most other students aren't. I may be wrong. But this discussion reminds me the baseball stat that a team has won 95% of their games when leading after 7 innings. That sounds impressive until you check the stats of other teams and find out that they all win 90% or more when leading after 7, even the bad teams. I would just like to see how that stat compares with other schools to find out how impressive it is.

 

I have no empirical data but I'd bet you'd lose your "90%" bet. Seems like it should be that high because of all of the help they get but, sadly, it's not.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.