Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gruden's QB Camp

Featured Replies

I think if Newton is thrown to the wolves he will fail miserably. Now if he carries a clip board for a couple of years he could be special..

I guess because you put the kid on the spot and he can't think of anything means he can't call plays? How many `qb's in college look to the side line for the number that means a certain play situation. There is always a knock on certain qb's, is he smart enough to run a prostyle offense? Oh he played in a spead offense can he adapt? If I'm not mistaken doesn't the kid from Mizz run a spread offense? I don't think those questions has once been raised about him. The bottom line is Newton played against the best defenses in the nation and won a National Championship, regardless how the plays were called in he still had to execute them.

 

You could be very right. Although Newton also struggled diagramming a play and explaining the different hots and reads. He certainly has all of the physical tools. He may very well be a very good NFL QB. Just from the shaow and nothing else, my takeway was that he would be the least likely to have immediate success.

I think if Newton is thrown to the wolves he will fail miserably. Now if he carries a clip board for a couple of years he could be special..

 

If Newton is put in the right situation Great defense and a running game he would have more margin for error..Like Sanchez or even Flacco, but I don't see many teams at the top that have that formula

You could be very right. Although Newton also struggled diagramming a play and explaining the different hots and reads. He certainly has all of the physical tools. He may very well be a very good NFL QB. Just from the shaow and nothing else, my takeway was that he would be the least likely to have immediate success.

 

This all may be true, but alot of qb coming from college have those problems and things are simplified in the beginning and alot of studying is put in to play calling at that level. I think the kid has things to learn just as they all do, I just thought the show and some of the questions asked were set up to exploit the young man. Were all the QB's ask the same questions on the show? I do believe he will be a better NFL Qb than the others mentioned in the long run.

It seemed they were generally asked the same stuff. They all made a huddle play call. They all diagrammed and watched plays, explaining the reads checkdowns and hots. Gruden did make points towards individual issues for each guy. For instance, he questioned Locker on his taking big hits, and being physically whipped at the end of games. Even showed some film on him being so exhausted that he had to helped off the field. I thought it was a very fair expose' on all of them.

It seemed they were generally asked the same stuff. They all made a huddle play call. They all diagrammed and watched plays, explaining the reads checkdowns and hots. Gruden did make points towards individual issues for each guy. For instance, he questioned Locker on his taking big hits, and being physically whipped at the end of games. Even showed some film on him being so exhausted that he had to helped off the field. I thought it was a very fair expose' on all of them.

 

I see, I wasn't able to watch all of the camp...I was wondering if all had similar questions. I think you walk a fine line when you start questioning someone intelligence.

I see, I wasn't able to watch all of the camp...I was wondering if all had similar questions. I think you walk a fine line when you start questioning someone intelligence.

 

I am not questioning anyone's intelligence. More of how they handled the the situations. Gabbert has an issue with pulling out from center in a quick manner, and Gruden called him out. He even showed him film on Peyton as a way to do it. Like I said he questioned Locker on his taking shots and not leaving anything in the tank. My point about Newton is that he just seemed sort of lost during the X's and O's session. I never said anything concerning intelligence. It seemed to show a lack of experience as to what was being asked of him.

I didn't think Cam Newton came off very well in this show. Gruden asked him to make an Auburn play call. Newton couldn't come up with anything. He pretty much stated that he looked to the sideline for a number posted on a board and that was the play. Gruden told him that, with no playcalling experience, he should look at NFL playcalling as moving to France and having to learn French in 2 weeks. It sounded like a team that drafts Newton to be it's starting QB in game 1 this season may have an issue. I was impressed with Locker and Mallet

 

I certainly agree on Newton, he was he wasn't very impressive imo. My favorite was the TCU qb. Really all were good but Newton, he really stunk.

I didn't think Cam Newton came off very well in this show. Gruden asked him to make an Auburn play call. Newton couldn't come up with anything. He pretty much stated that he looked to the sideline for a number posted on a board and that was the play. Gruden told him that, with no playcalling experience, he should look at NFL playcalling as moving to France and having to learn French in 2 weeks. It sounded like a team that drafts Newton to be it's starting QB in game 1 this season may have an issue. I was impressed with Locker and Mallet

 

That is really going to hurt Newton for this year. With the lockout, a team would ruin Newton if they tried to let him play this year IMO. He's a talented guy but do to the nature of Malzahn's offense he could be a complete bust if the proper steps are not taken.

 

I guess because you put the kid on the spot and he can't think of anything means he can't call plays? How many `qb's in college look to the side line for the number that means a certain play situation. There is always a knock on certain qb's, is he smart enough to run a prostyle offense? Oh he played in a spead offense can he adapt? If I'm not mistaken doesn't the kid from Mizz run a spread offense? I don't think those questions has once been raised about him. The bottom line is Newton played against the best defenses in the nation and won a National Championship, regardless how the plays were called in he still had to execute them.

 

I don't see it from Gabbert either. Though the QB coach at Mizzou is regarded as one of the best that offense is just as gimmicky as what Newton played in. 7-yard gun, 5 wide, 5 yard passes, yuck. He has the physical tools but I just don't see him as a good NFL QB. I could be wrong but I wouldn't draft him before round 3, well to be honest I wouldn't draft him period. Wouldn't really want any of these guys. JMO

 

I certainly agree on Newton, he was he wasn't very impressive imo. My favorite was the TCU qb. Really all were good but Newton, he really stunk.

 

Dalton is probably my favorite. He's a winner and a worker. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into a decent QB.

Newton did name a play "36" In Malzahn's offense that is the 3 running a 6. They package pass concepts with numbers. This is nothing new though they do it a little different than some teams. 36 is part of Auburn's Shallow package/family. If you watch the episode again it is drawn in the background at one point. You'll see a shallow, dig, post combination on the right. this is commonly known as Drive. UK runs the crap out of it and it comes from the 49ers. At BYU it was part of their Scat package during the Edwards time period. Air Raid teams also call their plays with numbers such as "6" which is 4 verts or 92 which is Mesh.

 

He also drew up their "bang 8" combo with no problem which was the Post/Out combo which he described with the coaching points. Only run it verse a 1 high look. Protect the WR. If you want a look at different versions of "36" and such go to the link below. He also had hot routes built in. The rec to the RB side is the hot on a sight adjustment to a quick slant.

 

http://smartfootball.com/uncategorized/a-page-from-gus-malzahns-passing-playbook-literally

 

Malzahn's run game is mainly power, counter and zone. He does run a sweep blocked like buck sweep a little and a small amount of veer. when he has a QB that can run he uses him but his offense does not require it.

 

Now Newton might end up being a big bust but some of the knocks on him are not accurate.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.