Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Wing-T vs. Spread

Featured Replies

What has to be done to stop both offenses?

Wing T is all misdirection. You must get penetration from your line and have disciplined LB's.

 

Spread has advantages in isolations so once again players must be discplined and do their assignments.

Wing T is all misdirection. You must get penetration from your line and have disciplined LB's.

 

Spread has advantages in isolations so once again players must be discplined and do their assignments.

I would not penetrate to defeat the wing t. You may make a few stops for loss but eventually you will get trapped by some rabid guard and then you've got real problems. The teams that have the most success against basically any offensive scheme (and vica versa) is to play the scheme you normally play with as few modifications as possible. Ultimately, if you block and tackle best, you will be successful. A scheme is just applying order to the basic fundalmentals - blocking and tackling. Schemes should not replace the basics. Defensing the spread is the same as any scheme. Execute the fundamentals as well as possible and don't change too radically. That's where young coaches make mistakes, emphasizing the scheme over the execution and the athletes. The scheme is secondary to the athletes and execution.

Two good replies so far, and I'll take the middle road.

 

I think if you have the athletes that are capable of overcoming a mistake, you can play "high risk, high reward" defense. In other words, penetration by linemen can be a worthwhile gamble if you have very athletic linebackers that can cover a mistake in the defensive stunt.

 

On the other hand, I agree with KYBall, in that football is by far, the easiest sport to overcoach. If your defensive talent has not allowed you to play a very aggressive brand of football all season long, then now is certainly not the time to "open it up". If you have very disciplined athletes that are not quite as athletic, then playing within those limitations is the prudent choice.

 

More than anything, I think a teams defense is a reflection of the personality and philosophy of the head coach and defensive co-ordinator. Some coaches are strict adherents of the Bend But Don't Break school of thought, while others are more in the Constant Pressure camp.

 

If you believe in Bend But Don't Break, you close down gaps and play tight to the line of scrimmage. If you are an aggressive, attacking team, you stunt, blitz, change fronts, bring corners, rush four and drop seven, rush eight and play man, etc. Anything to confuse and pressure the offense.

 

Either way, stay true to what got you there.

 

 

Frances

Two good replies so far, and I'll take the middle road.

 

I think if you have the athletes that are capable of overcoming a mistake, you can play "high risk, high reward" defense. In other words, penetration by linemen can be a worthwhile gamble if you have very athletic linebackers that can cover a mistake in the defensive stunt.

 

On the other hand, I agree with KYBall, in that football is by far, the easiest sport to overcoach. If your defensive talent has not allowed you to play a very aggressive brand of football all season long, then now is certainly not the time to "open it up". If you have very disciplined athletes that are not quite as athletic, then playing within those limitations is the prudent choice.

 

More than anything, I think a teams defense is a reflection of the personality and philosophy of the head coach and defensive co-ordinator. Some coaches are strict adherents of the Bend But Don't Break school of thought, while others are more in the Constant Pressure camp.

 

If you believe in Bend But Don't Break, you close down gaps and play tight to the line of scrimmage. If you are an aggressive, attacking team, you stunt, blitz, change fronts, bring corners, rush four and drop seven, rush eight and play man, etc. Anything to confuse and pressure the offense.

 

Either way, stay true to what got you there.

 

 

Frances

 

I love a woman who knows her football...If I weren't already married!! ;):D

Two good replies so far, and I'll take the middle road.

 

I think if you have the athletes that are capable of overcoming a mistake, you can play "high risk, high reward" defense. In other words, penetration by linemen can be a worthwhile gamble if you have very athletic linebackers that can cover a mistake in the defensive stunt.

 

On the other hand, I agree with KYBall, in that football is by far, the easiest sport to overcoach. If your defensive talent has not allowed you to play a very aggressive brand of football all season long, then now is certainly not the time to "open it up". If you have very disciplined athletes that are not quite as athletic, then playing within those limitations is the prudent choice.

 

More than anything, I think a teams defense is a reflection of the personality and philosophy of the head coach and defensive co-ordinator. Some coaches are strict adherents of the Bend But Don't Break school of thought, while others are more in the Constant Pressure camp.

 

If you believe in Bend But Don't Break, you close down gaps and play tight to the line of scrimmage. If you are an aggressive, attacking team, you stunt, blitz, change fronts, bring corners, rush four and drop seven, rush eight and play man, etc. Anything to confuse and pressure the offense.

 

Either way, stay true to what got you there.

 

 

Frances

 

Very nice, Frances. I think we are saying the same thing but you are much clearer. I personally would not penetrate to stop wing t. I have an awful lot of experience with the wing t and love to see people running upfield. That being said, if that is what you have done successfully for 13 games, 5 years, or 27 years, then that would be the best thing to do. That is my point. Don't change what you do for any one offense. All defensive packages have will have ways to deal with divergent styles, otherwise you would never use that package. I've always said that the biggest mistake I see when a team plays wing t is that they run a totally different scheme than they normally play, particularly in high school. A coaches' playbook is always thinner at the end of his career than at the beginning. Just execute.

I love a woman who knows her football...If I weren't already married!! ;):D

I'm sure she's one lucky woman, Devil58. With a husband as devoted (and well informed) as you, she undoubtedly considers herself blessed - every day. Of course, if anything should ever happen to her .....

 

 

 

... Just execute.

I can smell the testosterone from here. You don't mind if I swoon, do you? That is to say - I agree - completely.

 

 

 

With sweating palms,

Frances

 

PS - I'll trust that both of you have the good taste to not mention any of this to Painter or Graybeard - those young men can be so volatile at times...

To stop a spread offense you have to do one thing and that is not let the offesne control what you do on defense. Ex: If you a spread team opens with 5 wide dont get nervous and send 9 people to cover. Play your base. Continue to do what you do on defense. If you like to pressure then pressure the ball. Remember no matter how many they have split out wide there is only ONE BALL! I think coaches change to much of their base to cover multi wideouts. IMO the key is to play Zone and pressure the ball. If you cant pressure the QB then its a long night.

 

As for the wing-t just play football. If the wing goes in motion realize something is coming back.(wing-t big plays are double hand off and Wing under reverse) everything else is basic. Just dont over coach your LB's stay on your keys.

I love a woman who knows her football...If I weren't already married!! ;):D
I met and becomes friends with a sweet lady who also know her football, unfortunately she is married. :cry:

Spread by far. Wing T is outdated but still difficult to defend. The misdirection and reverses are dictated by the motion and arc motions. Spread offense is available to run the football with an option or straight rushing. As well, its the most available set to pass out of and makes you change your ENTIRE defensive philosophy. Spread teams can make a 4-4 base defensive team and turn them into a 3-3-5 stack and sending coverages everywhere. Spread by far makes you prepare far greater as well in terms of blitz packages, zone coverages, and shifting defenses. Overall, the spread offense is my favorite offense by far and is head and shoulders above other offenses.

Most good wing-T teams do run a "spread offense". Out of the double wing set you can flat motion into trips. Most good teams utilize THEIR SYSTEM to whatever the defense is giving them. Any good offense should be versatile whether running a spread or wing t.

 

"We don't rent pigs"

Spread concepts are utilized by most everyone using a two-minute offense. As stated before wing-t concepts are evident in many different scemes.

Realizing the Wing T and stopping it is 2 different things. Run it until you stop us attitude is the way of the CLOCK. I have seen McGlone run the same play 6-8 times in a row. When you RUN a play, the defense is looking for the counter on the next play. 2 plays to the right with a pitch or long hand off will set up the next. BUT if you are successful with the plays or you have been shut down on the plays, you still have to gamble on the next. Misdirection is the way of the Devils. stopping them is a different story.

You stop the wing t by playing gap controlled responsilbility. You can not get to deep or your going to get trapped. That is why the wing-t is used by so many teams today (high school kids are not really disciplined). The LB's must really do a great job of reading the guards but watch out for false pulls. Either the Spread or Wing-t are both good offenses if taught well.

All I know is the Wing-T was plenty good enough to beat the spread in the 2A championship game...So do you think they might run pitch left????...actually, Russell had most of their consistent success out of Power-I, but who really cares!?! WE'RE STATE CHAMPS!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.