Obama Reverses on Guantanamo

If we accept that excuse then we can no longer hold any politician accountable for his/her campaign promises. They simply have to say "I didn't have all the facts". Of course that's already a staple of politicians' excuses.

Have things changed all that much since he made those promises? If not we have a right to wonder if he was naive, ignorant or simply lying. If they have we can wonder why he's so ineffective.

I think I'd prefer it if they said they didn't have all the facts, instead of spouting off solutions for problems they don't fully grasp. And that goes for any politician, of any party, for any office.

Tell what you'd LIKE to achieve, and how you think you can do it, but I already know it's not likely going to turn out exactly like you promised. And I'm ok with that. Frankly, not much in life anywhere every fully meets the promises made in the past, when it finally arrives.

I think I'd prefer it if they said they didn't have all the facts, instead of spouting off solutions for problems they don't fully grasp. And that goes for any politician, of any party, for any office.

Tell what you'd LIKE to achieve, and how you think you can do it, but I already know it's not likely going to turn out exactly like you promised. And I'm ok with that. Frankly, not much in life anywhere every fully meets the promises made in the past, when it finally arrives.

I too would prefer they do that but let's face it, that would require them to be brutally honest and that's rarely going to happen.

Obama made it clear that he would close Guantanamo as a campaign pledge.

If he said he would try to close it, that would not have appealed to his base

I believe he thought it just could be closed with no problems.

He may still close it down, only not as quickly as he would have liked. Sometimes, things don't happen at the pace you want them to.

I support the idea of closing Guantanamo, but there are lot of issues that stem from the Iraq War that aren't easy to solve.

He may still close it down, only not as quickly as he would have liked. Sometimes, things don't happen at the pace you want them to.

I support the idea of closing Guantanamo, but there are lot of issues that stem from the Iraq War that aren't easy to solve.

I think we all wish that a place like Guantanamo would not have to exist. Its not just the problems from the Iraq War that is keeping it open.

He either 1. failed to properly understand the Gitmo issue when he took such a strong position against the trials, or 2. he understood the issue but said on the stump what the voters wanted to hear. You choose the whichever one you want. Both reflect pretty poorly on the man in my opinion.

I'm glad he is doing the right thing now.