St. Henry 40 Highlands 37

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listening to coach Stamm and Buttels was worth the price of admission. I wish I had a dollar for every "WHAT!, NO WAY!, and NOOOOO, YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

It was even funnier when I could hear a whistle...then total silence while these two were trying to figure out what was called. It sounded like I had a better chance at "guessing" the call from my home than they did sitting courtside :)

All I can say is the only time I watched 8th Region officials this season was the Boys Highlands/WV game and it was completely laughable. Especially the guy that looked like Spike Lee on stilts. I just pray that those 3 guys are nowhere near BOK during the Boys games this week.

That was pretty unbelieveable. IMO, it should of been a technical and ejection.

You must be referring to the play when St Henry was on a fast break 2 on 1, Gamm heading to basket when I think #2 (Abner) throws elbow to the face of Anne Fugate off ball. Ref was right on top of the play, calls a foul, not a TECHNICAL and awards St Henry the ball out of bounds. From where I was sitting, and had a pretty good view, looked to be intentional and quite possibly an ejection from the game.

You must be referring to the play when St Henry was on a fast break 2 on 1, Gamm heading to basket when I think #2 (Abner) throws elbow to the face of Anne Fugate off ball. Ref was right on top of the play, calls a foul, not a TECHNICAL and awards St Henry the ball out of bounds. From where I was sitting, and had a pretty good view, looked to be intentional and quite possibly an ejection from the game.

Not goin to argue about the technical. Looked and sounded pretty obvious from my viewpoint. St H got the makeup calls for it and also one when Gamm 10 floored the Abner girl later in the game. Good no technical and ejection on that one as well. Just sayn........

You are partially correct in your assessment in that there was an elbow intentionally thrown. I will also say that there was a moving screen that was occuring at the same time. I have seen this become more and more prevalent in both the boys and girls games. Usually a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 break and a player acts as if they are boxing out the defender or posting up thus pushing the defender out of the way for an easy layup.

Game was entertaining if for no other reason than trying to figure out what game the men in stripes were watching. First game crew was pretty good, but game two was a much different story. Lady Birds have some good young talent that hopefully gets the chance to develop so that one day they can become a senior laden team much like St. Henry. Experience was the difference in the final outcome of this game IMO.

I stated it in the boys thread regarding the refs; the top 5 or so guys in the 8th are awesome; once you get past that, you don't know what you are going to get. Only thing that frightens me is one of the guys I see in Panda's awesome photos is usually a guy who does a decent job; wouldn't call him one fo the tops but he is usually decent.

Would like to hear Buttels thoughts since he is pretty much an 8th Region guy although he probably isn't in a position to comment.

Ask and you shall receive. In the 6 years I have covered the 8th Region (but more recently the 9th), You know who is going to call the good games and who is not. In the first game, you had Brian Sandlin who is good, there was another guy that Coach Stamm and I thought was from the 10th region as they had to piece together a team as the fire on I-71 prevented a few of the guys from traveling north to the BOKC.

In the second game, at the top of the broadcast, you heard me mention "Mr. Watkins". Those who know me, know that He and I have had a "stare down or two" due to his hearing me call the game and some of the calls he makes. I think I even said last night that about half of the teams in the 8th at one time had him scratched. How he makes the 9th Region I don't know. There are plenty of other good 8th Region officials, that we will look for throughout the week and into the boys games. Coach Stamm is waiting for "Cornbread" to make his appearance.

When I heard the ref rotation I knew it would be not only interesting on the floor but what we heard from the stands. Last night didn't dissappoint and I'm sure the rest of the Tournament will be the same way!!!

"Listening to coach Stamm and Buttels was worth the price of admission. I wish I had a dollar for every "WHAT!, NO WAY!, and NOOOOO, YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

It was even funnier when I could hear a whistle...then total silence while these two were trying to figure out what was called. It sounded like I had a better chance at "guessing" the call from my home than they did sitting courtside :) "

I'm sure there will be more of this to come.....as we said, we're here all week...be sure to tip your broadcasters.

Not goin to argue about the technical. Looked and sounded pretty obvious from my viewpoint. St H got the makeup calls for it and also one when Gamm 10 floored the Abner girl later in the game. Good no technical and ejection on that one as well. Just sayn........

WOW, can't even believe you would compare the two calls. An elbow to the face on a fast break resulting in an out of bounds compared to an offensive foul where the offensive player is being held then pushes her way loose from the defender resulting in a offensive foul and 4th foul on a key player for SH (typical 2nd infraction being whistled). Ref's were terrible both ways, agreed, but don't see the comparison you made. Just sayn....

I'm off to yoga class to learn how to channel my energy so I can enjoy tonight's Ryle-NDA game:)

Skyline bar may have been a better suggestion! Yoga, to employ a pun, might be a stretch!