8th Region Draw - completed

Just spoke to Coach Roberts-Howell at Gallatin County for the 8th Region Draw. Here's how is shook out - Games at Gallatin County this year.

Monday

6:00pm - South Oldham/Collins

7:30pm - Walton/Gallatin

Tuesday

6:00pm - Owen/Simon Kenton

7:30pm - Anderson/Oldham County

Semifinals - Match 4th

Finals - March 5th

Might be several years before we see Shelby County back in the girls 8th Region tournament. I assume you don't think Monday brackets are tough?

Just tough because I think Anderson is the team to beat. I looked up today's Courier Journal/Litkenhous ratings...if you add Monday night, it totals 326 points, if you add Tuesday night, it totals 325.

South Oldham 94.6

Anderson Co 89.7

WV 86.8

SK 82.4

Owen 82.3

Collins 71.7

Gallatin 71.5

Oldham 70.6

Just tough because I think Anderson is the team to beat. I looked up today's Courier Journal/Litkenhous ratings...if you add Monday night, it totals 326 points, if you add Tuesday night, it totals 325.

South Oldham 94.6

Anderson Co 89.7

WV 86.8

SK 82.4

Owen 82.3

Collins 71.7

Gallatin 71.5

Oldham 70.6

Thanks for the research/info. Interesting South/Collins matchup considering that several of Collins players were part of Shelby team that upset South in the first round last year. I would venture to guess that South has not forgotten that. All of the matchups are interesting, I don't think there are any patsies in the tournament. South is my pick to cut down the nets in Warsaw on Saturday, although I would love to see one of the "small" schools win it.

Just spoke to Coach Roberts-Howell at Gallatin County for the 8th Region Draw. Here's how is shook out - Games at Gallatin County this year.

Monday

6:00pm - South Oldham/Collins

7:30pm - Walton/Gallatin

Tuesday

6:00pm - Owen/Simon Kenton

7:30pm - Anderson/Oldham County

Semifinals - Match 4th

Finals - March 5th

I see at least the semi-finals as this:

Walton vs. South Oldham

Anderson vs. SK

As always, each and every game of the girls' 8th region will be broadcast over the Pegasus Sports Network at http://www.pegasussportsky.com

All games will be aired live and as archives.

I'm hoping I will be back to action by then!! After a busy week covering the 29th and 30th districts this week, I've contracted laryngitis!!! Never had to deal with that before. Fortunately, PSN has other announcers who will be happy to fill in for me...!

Some thoughts...

South Oldham - playing awfully well right now. The Lady Dragons boast the region's longest winning streak (11), which includes wins over Anderson County, Oldham County, and Owen County - all by double figures. During that time, South is averaging nearly 70 ppg, and has been held under 60 points only once (55 vs. Bardstown).

Collins - the Lady Titans have dealt with an awful lot of adversity this year, but Phil Conder has done a good job of plugging the holes and keeping the ship afloat. Wells is a tough matchup on the baseline, but I'm not sure the Lady Titans have enough offensive firepower to win this.

Walton-Verona - This team can present matchup problems for a lot of teams, and their inside game is (IMO) the region's best. Now's their chance to prove that the off-season has produced a backcourt that can handle the pressure at the region that they're sure to get from teams such as South Oldham and Simon Kenton. This team has a quality every coach would like at tourney time: they shoot 75% AS A TEAM from the stripe.

Gallatin County - really playing well now that they are healthy. Strong inside game isn't perhaps on a par with W-V, but very strong...and the outside shooters are solid. Tough matchup and playing with a lot of confidence.

Owen County - Has really stepped it up this year; Gayheart (Player of Year) has evolved into the complete player, Toole is providing contributions on the inside, and Neeley is a superb outside shooter. Wins at Walton-Verona and Anderson County certify Owen as a serious contender.

Simon Kenton - will go as far as their defense can carry them. If they can turn teams over and get into transition, the Lady Pioneers can advance. Stowers always finds ways for his teams to win.

Anderson County - average grade/age is 8th grade!!! Despite this, the Lady Cats played the state's 22nd-toughest schedule pretty darn well! This is a frightening team, really, with tons of weapons inside and out. Makenzie Cann is one of - if not the - premier three point shooter in the region, and just a freshman. Sydney Brown is tough to handle inside, and AC has a host of weapons to throw at you.

Oldham County - Like SK, the Lady Colonels need their press to turn teams over. Oldham is a tad short this year, and needs a quick pace. Four Lady Colonels average in double figures for a team that led the region in scoring average. Oldham is also young; the leading scorer - Ashley McMurtrey (16.6 ppg) - is just a freshman.

Gonna be a fun one!!!!!!!