Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Most Playoff Wins & Appearances in KY

Featured Replies

It's interesting to me that some teams may have higher numbers and fewere appearances because of the playoff expansions. Case Study on Boyle may reveal this.

 

The Rebels (if my memory is correct) only made the playoffs in '77 and '82, losing both times in their first game (the old Regional Final).

 

Hatz, I believe Boyle County also made the playoffs in 1965, losing to Old Kentucky Home. I believe OKH, which later consolidated into Nelson County, had a star running back named Herbie Phelps who must have been great.

Wow! gchs_uk9, no idea how you got'em but very impressive, thanks!

 

Lots of work! Actually, it wasn't too tough. Spent some time with old state tournament game programs at EKU and with the Herald-Leader archives at UK. Work wasn't tough, just took a while to find everything.

They start with the institution of official state playoffs by the KHSAA in 1959.

 

Very good. I must say, I am slightly surprised by Trinity being above Highlands. Was Trinity that good in the 60's and 70's? For some reason, I didn't think Trinity became the football machine they are till the late 70's. So I thought Highlands' record in the 60's and 70's would give them the edge over Trinity.

Very good. I must say, I am slightly surprised by Trinity being above Highlands. Was Trinity that good in the 60's and 70's? For some reason, I didn't think Trinity became the football machine they are till the late 70's. So I thought Highlands' record in the 60's and 70's would give them the edge over Trinity.

 

Our first title came in 1969 and we won them off and on in the 70's, mostly on in the 80's (ESPN named us Team of the Decade) and only 2 in the 90's. I think the biggest contributor to our jump over HHS is in the last decade since coach Beatty arrived. He has won the title all but 3 times since 2000, the exceptions being the loss in the title game to Male in 2000, the loss to Dixie in the playoffs in 2004 and the loss to X in the 2009 title game. Outside of those three instances he has won all of his playoff games.

Very good. I must say, I am slightly surprised by Trinity being above Highlands. Was Trinity that good in the 60's and 70's? For some reason, I didn't think Trinity became the football machine they are till the late 70's. So I thought Highlands' record in the 60's and 70's would give them the edge over Trinity.

 

Trinity has always been pretty good. One thing that helped, however, was for several years that playoff system in the larger class allowed for a few extra Jefferson County teams (and subsequently a few extra wins) than it did in the rest of the state.

Our first title came in 1969 and we won them off and on in the 70's, mostly on in the 80's (ESPN named us Team of the Decade) and only 2 in the 90's. I think the biggest contributor to our jump over HHS is in the last decade since coach Beatty arrived. He has won the title all but 3 times since 2000, the exceptions being the loss in the title game to Male in 2000, the loss to Dixie in the playoffs in 2004 and the loss to X in the 2009 title game. Outside of those three instances he has won all of his playoff games.

 

That's just an incredible run!

  • Author
Trinity has always been pretty good. One thing that helped, however, was for several years that playoff system in the larger class allowed for a few extra Jefferson County teams (and subsequently a few extra wins) than it did in the rest of the state.

 

What years???

gchs_uk9 this is good stuff, I cant recall ever having seen these stats before, again great job

What years???

gchs_uk9 this is good stuff, I cant recall ever having seen these stats before, again great job

 

I'd have to check with my stuff at home. I want to think that the early years of AAAA football in the mid-70s required teams to win 4 games to win a state title, while most of the smaller classes needed on 3 wins. That lets the numbers add up just a bit.

Our first title came in 1969 and we won them off and on in the 70's, mostly on in the 80's (ESPN named us Team of the Decade) and only 2 in the 90's. I think the biggest contributor to our jump over HHS is in the last decade since coach Beatty arrived. He has won the title all but 3 times since 2000, the exceptions being the loss in the title game to Male in 2000, the loss to Dixie in the playoffs in 2004 and the loss to X in the 2009 title game. Outside of those three instances he has won all of his playoff games.

 

Trinity's first title actually came at the end of the 1968 season. The seniors obviously were of the 1969 graduating class.

I'd have to check with my stuff at home. I want to think that the early years of AAAA football in the mid-70s required teams to win 4 games to win a state title, while most of the smaller classes needed on 3 wins. That lets the numbers add up just a bit.

 

There was a time when all of Jefferson County was in the largest class and were one of the two regions of AAA and then eventually AAAA.

Trinity's first title actually came at the end of the 1968 season. The seniors obviously were of the 1969 graduating class.

 

 

DOH!!!

 

I do that every now and then. Oops.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.