UK Bowl Game

gametime

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon. We talked ad nauseum in the schedule thread that UK fans were just happy going 7-5 and making a bowl. It's not 7-5, but it is making a bowl. Why aren't UK fans going to the game when they are considered some of the best traveling fans in the nation?

UK fans can't have it both ways. We can't embrace a weak schedule and then complain because we're in Birmingham with a bunch of empty seats.

C'mon. We talked ad nauseum in the schedule thread that UK fans were just happy going 7-5 and making a bowl. It's not 7-5, but it is making a bowl. Why aren't UK fans going to the game when they are considered some of the best traveling fans in the nation?

UK fans can't have it both ways. We can't embrace a weak schedule and then complain because we're in Birmingham with a bunch of empty seats.

I can't speak for everyone, but I will be there. I haven't missed a UK bowl game since the 80's.

Let's be a little realistic about this too...if UK were 6-6 and playing in Nashville again, there would be a HUGE amount of UK fans there. Bham isn't a great spot.

True, but it's no farther than Atlanta.

Congrats on the streak. Try some Jim and Nick's BBQ while in the greater Birmingham Metropolitan area

True, but it's no farther than Atlanta.

Congrats on the streak. Try some Jim and Nick's BBQ while in the greater Birmingham Metropolitan area

That is one of things i'm looking forward to about the trip...I used to live in Bham so I know the area pretty well. I think UK would have had a good showing in any of the New Years Bowls in Florida. Liberty...probably not.

Apparently the schedule wasn't weak enough, because they didn't go 7-5. It has been discussed ad nauseum, and you're living in some fantasy world where scheduling tougher opponents instantly makes the team better. If that was the case, San Jose State should have been awesome.

The response you keep getting from UK fans is that we'd rather play weaker competition and make a bowl game than end up 5-7 sitting at home. That's not saying 6-6 is the ultimate expectation. You just keep twisting it into that so you can rag on UK fans.

Again, NOBODY said this was a successful season, and swapping Charleston Southern for UC or IU would have had ZERO impact on the season. You really have some sort of strange hang up about this.

I'd also hazard a guess that the poor ticket sales are hugely impacted by stupid scheduling of lower tier bowl games on January 8th. Everybody has gone back to work already, and nobody is going to take vacation time to go to Birmingham. If this game had been just before or after New Year's like all of the previous games, you'd have seen much better attendance.

Apparently the schedule wasn't weak enough, because they didn't go 7-5. It has been discussed ad nauseum, and you're living in some fantasy world where scheduling tougher opponents instantly makes the team better. If that was the case, San Jose State should have been awesome.

The response you keep getting from UK fans is that we'd rather play weaker competition and make a bowl game than end up 5-7 sitting at home. That's not saying 6-6 is the ultimate expectation. You just keep twisting it into that so you can rag on UK fans.

Again, NOBODY said this was a successful season, and swapping Charleston Southern for UC or IU would have had ZERO impact on the season. You really have some sort of strange hang up about this.

I'd also hazard a guess that the poor ticket sales are hugely impacted by stupid scheduling of lower tier bowl games on January 8th. Everybody has gone back to work already, and nobody is going to take vacation time to go to Birmingham. If this game had been just before or after New Year's like all of the previous games, you'd have seen much better attendance.

So why is it that in every sport, the common theme is you get better by playing better competition. Except Kentucky football.

I understand UK fans are happy with 6-6 and 7-5. Fans were happy with making bowls until they get sent to Birmingham.

I understand what expectations UK fans have for football.

Joker and Mitch have different expectations. They are saying they want to win the SEC East and play in the SEC title game or at least a legit bowl game. But the reality is, they dont have the players Florida, LSU and Alabama have. So how do you get better? Not by playing Charleston Southern. Or Kent State.

Mobaar, I understand your expectations for the UK football program. They are different from mine. And they are different from the coach and the AD. If Joker and Mitch came out and said we are happy with 7-5 and annual trips to Nashville or Memphis, we aren't having this conversation.

I know Florida and South Carolina schedule just as bad as UK does. So do LSU and Arkansas. But they are also the upper tier of the SEC. For UK to do that, they have to do two things different. Get better players and play better competition with those players.

Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result. It's a common theme with Kentucky football.

Wannstache just announced he is not coaching Pitt in the Bowl Game. What a train wreck...

At least Pitt will not have 20+ players suspended like Florida State a couple of years ago. UK seems to be getting some breaks with their bowl opponents having difficulties at the most inopportune times. Let's hope the Cats can capitalize.

So why is it that in every sport, the common theme is you get better by playing better competition. Except Kentucky football.

What mythical theme is this that you just made up?

I understand UK fans are happy with 6-6 and 7-5. Fans were happy with making bowls until they get sent to Birmingham.

For the 79th time. Who is satisfied with 6-6? Its only preferable when compared to 5-7.

I understand what expectations UK fans have for football.

Apparently not.

Joker and Mitch have different expectations. They are saying they want to win the SEC East and play in the SEC title game or at least a legit bowl game. But the reality is, they dont have the players Florida, LSU and Alabama have. So how do you get better? Not by playing Charleston Southern. Or Kent State.

But IU or UC would be the magic ticket to the SEC title game?

I know Florida and South Carolina schedule just as bad as UK does. So do LSU and Arkansas. But they are also the upper tier of the SEC. For UK to do that, they have to do two things different. Get better players and play better competition with those players.

You're half right.

Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result. It's a common theme with Kentucky football.

I'm just amazed at your insistence that a one game change in the schedule would shoot UK from SEC bottom feeder to major bowl contender.

Please tell me how you would have changed the schedule this year and how it would have impacted the season.

I'm just amazed at your insistence that a one game change in the schedule would shoot UK from SEC bottom feeder to major bowl contender.

Please tell me how you would have changed the schedule this year and how it would have impacted the season.

Explain to me how playing Kent State and Charleston Southern prepares UK to win in the SEC.