Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Private vs Public

Featured Replies

XMAN85, I agree with everything you say, the tradition, the schools the alumni from X and T are awesome, all schools should use them as examples to pattern their schools and program. I have friends who are students and coaches at both schools and respect them all. But what I dont understand is with all these great aspects of these two schools why wont they level the number of kids to a more appropriate number relative to their competition.

I almost expect these two schools because of their high morals and tradition would be the parties suggesting a solution to the difference in size as a gesture of good sportsmanship. I credit you XMAN85 for admitting that you agree at least a little on this being a problem, not many in your camp have stated as such.

 

I think the X and T faithful have to question how great a victory is it to defeat a school with half as many students. Doesn't it just diminish the accomplishment to win when having such an advantage? How many times have you questioned your victories or heard others question it by saying "well they ought to win they have twice as many kids as the other team". All I keep hearing from most people in the X and T crowd is that the size advantage doesnt matter, if they truly believe that then why isnt it addressed and corrected?

 

I think if my kids were in the private school system I would want this situation corrected to remove any doubt as to the fairness of the competition.

What number would you suggest as a cap for participants in football.

 

I remember when I was in high school (many, many years ago) that most public schools had 60-70 players on their roster including the one that I was on. That is no longer the case. Do you propose that as average numbers go down the private schools should further limit the number of people they have on their team and then if the numbers go back up the cap would be raised?

  • Replies 72
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
XMAN85, I agree with everything you say, the tradition, the schools the alumni from X and T are awesome, all schools should use them as examples to pattern their schools and program. I have friends who are students and coaches at both schools and respect them all. But what I dont understand is with all these great aspects of these two schools why wont they level the number of kids to a more appropriate number relative to their competition.

I almost expect these two schools because of their high morals and tradition would be the parties suggesting a solution to the difference in size as a gesture of good sportsmanship. I credit you XMAN85 for admitting that you agree at least a little on this being a problem, not many in your camp have stated as such.

 

I think the X and T faithful have to question how great a victory is it to defeat a school with half as many students. Doesn't it just diminish the accomplishment to win when having such an advantage? How many times have you questioned your victories or heard others question it by saying "well they ought to win they have twice as many kids as the other team". All I keep hearing from most people in the X and T crowd is that the size advantage doesnt matter, if they truly believe that then why isnt it addressed and corrected?

 

I think if my kids were in the private school system I would want this situation corrected to remove any doubt as to the fairness of the competition.

 

How in the world do you expect Trinity or X to "level the number of kids to a more appropriate number"???

Since their enrollment is the equivalent of two schools,

why not two teams?

What number would you suggest as a cap for participants in football.

 

I remember when I was in high school (many, many years ago) that most public schools had 60-70 players on their roster including the one that I was on. That is no longer the case. Do you propose that as average numbers go down the private schools should further limit the number of people they have on their team and then if the numbers go back up the cap would be raised?

 

I am not suggesting that in my previous post, but you bring up an interesting point.

 

Is their currently a limit to the number of players that can dress for a KHSAA football game?

 

While I dont know alot about football, some type of cap seems to make sense? I would think a cap should be realistic and should be consistent by school classification and perhaps even administered by a National Governing Body.

 

You referenced the number of players back in your day (many, many years ago) and I think the number of kids participating today is probably decreasing from then. I think that is a trend that could stand to be reversed so I dont think a cap should be restrictive to kids participation, but should provide a limit on the number of players a team can dress for a game to avoid unfair advantages by one team over another team during the game.

XMAN85, I agree with everything you say, the tradition, the schools the alumni from X and T are awesome, all schools should use them as examples to pattern their schools and program. I have friends who are students and coaches at both schools and respect them all. But what I dont understand is with all these great aspects of these two schools why wont they level the number of kids to a more appropriate number relative to their competition.

I almost expect these two schools because of their high morals and tradition would be the parties suggesting a solution to the difference in size as a gesture of good sportsmanship. I credit you XMAN85 for admitting that you agree at least a little on this being a problem, not many in your camp have stated as such.

 

I think the X and T faithful have to question how great a victory is it to defeat a school with half as many students. Doesn't it just diminish the accomplishment to win when having such an advantage? How many times have you questioned your victories or heard others question it by saying "well they ought to win they have twice as many kids as the other team". All I keep hearing from most people in the X and T crowd is that the size advantage doesnt matter, if they truly believe that then why isnt it addressed and corrected?

 

I think if my kids were in the private school system I would want this situation corrected to remove any doubt as to the fairness of the competition.

 

 

I do understand your thoughts on this...but there is something you may not be considering....Football at X is a no-cut sport. If you sign up then you are on the team. You earn your playing time in practice. Some know that coming in...but just want the experience and to be a part of something great.

 

Football is an excellent tool for life. It teaches teamwork, committment, hard work...etc...the list goes on and on. I do not think X would ever limit the chance for a young man to experience this because of some outside grumblings.

Since their enrollment is the equivalent of two schools,

why not two teams?

 

Can you imagine the uproar if four St X & Trinity teams make the playoffs & shut two public schools out of the playoffs?

Private schools vs. public schools in the playoffs ... I'm putting Trinity and St. Xavier's records in parentheses to distinguish them from the rest ...

 

2005 ... 14-2 (4-0)

2004 ... 18-7 (6-1)

2003 ... 15-8 (8-0)

2002 ... 17-7 (7-1)

2001 ... 16-7 (5-1)

2000 ... 13-8 (6-2)

1999 ... 12-7 (7-1)

1998 ... 12-8 (4-2)

1997 ... 20-5 (8-1)

1996 ... 9-8 (4-2)

1995 ... 11-6 (5-1)

 

Totals ... 157-73 (64-12)

 

Private schools overall ... 157-73 (.654)

St. Xavier-Trinity ... 64-12 (.842)

Other private schools ... 93-61 (.604)

 

The scary thing is there is real possibility of 4 private schools winning titles this year.

I am not suggesting that you limit nor cut any of the kids wishing to play football. I am suggesting that you expand their opportunities to participate by fielding the same number of teams that your student enrollment represents in relation to other schools. I would suggest this solution to all sports not just football.

I am not suggesting that you limit nor cut any of the kids wishing to play football. I am suggesting that you expand their opportunities to participate by fielding the same number of teams that your student enrollment represents in relation to other schools. I would suggest this solution to all sports not just football.

 

So 4A X and Trinity should field 4 football teams because 4A Holmes has about 1050 students?

 

Oh and I guess Henderson County would have to field at least 2 teams. How would you like their 35 man roster split up? 18 on one team and 17 on the other?

So 4A X and Trinity should field 4 football teams because 4A Holmes has about 1050 students?

 

Oh and I guess Henderson County would have to field at least 2 teams. How would you like their 35 man roster split up? 18 on one team and 17 on the other?

 

Like it would matter if they made them do that. X and Ts "A" team would have all the best players and the B team would be a mix of the second, third, and JV teams.

Like it would matter if they made them do that. X and Ts "A" team would have all the best players and the B team would be a mix of the second, third, and JV teams.

 

Your right Delta, that wont work, random assignment upon enrollment. When you sign up to go to the school each student is randomly assigned to either the Green or Gold Athletic Student body, could be done by an impartial third party like the financial aid.

Delta,

By the way, cool graphic!

I like the "X"

So 4A X and Trinity should field 4 football teams because 4A Holmes has about 1050 students?

 

Oh and I guess Henderson County would have to field at least 2 teams. How would you like their 35 man roster split up? 18 on one team and 17 on the other?

 

All play,

I am not suggesting anything about Henderson County, they along with Lex. Dunbar would become the largest of the 4A's.

 

If X&T both field two teams each team could pull from student bodies of approx 700. Much more inline with the average 4A teams than the current 1400 students at each school.

 

If you look on the KHSAA site it list that as of last year X & T each had approx 1400 boys, the next two largest are Henderson County and Dunbar with approx 1100 boys. The remaining schools are all below 1000 and many schools in the 700-800 range. Your example of Holmes only has around 500 boys, that is a significant difference when compared to 1400 boys at each, T&X. Is Holmes really 4A?

 

What is the most kids allowed to be in a school and still be considered 4A?

 

I dont know that there is a limit. Yet we have limits to all the smaller school classifications. When does a school become to large to be 4A?

 

What is the criteria used for the other classifications relating to school size?

All play,

I am not suggesting anything about Henderson County, they along with Lex. Dunbar would become the largest of the 4A's.

 

If X&T both field two teams each team could pull from student bodies of approx 700. Much more inline with the average 4A teams than the current 1400 students at each school.

 

If you look on the KHSAA site it list that as of last year X & T each had approx 1400 boys, the next two largest are Henderson County and Dunbar with approx 1100 boys. The remaining schools are all below 1000 and many schools in the 700-800 range. Your example of Holmes only has around 500 boys, that is a significant difference when compared to 1400 boys at each, T&X. Is Holmes really 4A?

 

What is the most kids allowed to be in a school and still be considered 4A?

 

I dont know that there is a limit. Yet we have limits to all the smaller school classifications. When does a school become to large to be 4A?

 

What is the criteria used for the other classifications relating to school size?

 

Holmes was in 4A this year and last year. They are one of the smallest 4A schools.

 

You take all the schools playing football and divide by 4. The largest 25% are 4A, the next 25% are 3A, etc.

 

Why is it unfair for Henderson County with 1000 boys to have to play Trinity and X with 1400 boys, but it is okay for Henderson County with 1000 boys to play Holmes with 550 boys?

Holmes was in 4A this year and last year. They are one of the smallest 4A schools.

 

You take all the schools playing football and divide by 4. The largest 25% are 4A, the next 25% are 3A, etc.

 

Why is it unfair for Henderson County with 1000 boys to have to play Trinity and X with 1400 boys, but it is okay for Henderson County with 1000 boys to play Holmes with 550 boys?

 

I agree Holmes is outsized in 4A.

I dont know how the classifications are established but if you are correct then that means that 1A, 2A and 3A are very similar in size and the top of the spectrum 4A is out balance. Sounds like there is to much of a range in the 4A class. Re-alignment of the classes would help teams like Holmes, but X & T would still be to large to fit anywhere at their current size.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.