St. Xavier 40 Covington Catholic 19

Bluesport

3 TD win for St. X.

Key deciders:

80 yd Punt Return for St. X

Hiked snap over CCH punter's head which gave St. X the ball at the 3 that they immediately punched in.

St. X converted their 3rd downs...CCH was something like 3 of 9.

Final yardage: St. X 355 to CCH's 249.

CCH had it down to 2 scores and were in St. X territory late in 3rd but couldn't convert.

Main thing is CCH comes out healthy for playoffs.

Well, I was close with my prediction of 38-14. So the final score is about what I expected.

Statements of the program's progress and prospects for the future ride on Cov Cath's performance in the playoffs. (A lot of p's rolling in that sentence.) Right now, the new direction is looking a lot like the old direction. At least everyone seems much happier with the "direction", if not the results.

Sounds like CCH fought hard. With an 80 yard punt return for a TD & a bad snap that basically gave them 7 points, it sounds like this game could've been 26-19. Does that mean it's time for theguru to start another thread regarding a potential moral victory for the Colonels?

I continue to say the postseason will determine the ultimate success of this season for CCH. Close loss to Highlands, close win over Dixie. Bad start to the year. A couple of playoff wins and folks will say moving in the right direction. If they lose big in round two, then the verdict is still out.

Decent effort by the boys today. Special teams giving up 14 points certainly doesn't help the cause. The positives are a)nice comeback. CCH was inside the 30 hoping to cut it to 8 when they threw a pick in the end zone and b)no major injuries.

Just for you.....tdyballgame :D

7-0 St X

Jackson 47 yard pass from Brohm

1st quarter 9:00

Raque good

14-0 St. X

The print out doesn't show the scoring play....

14-3 St. X

Talkers 41 yard FG

1st quarter 2:06

14-10 St. X

Slabaugh 27 yard TD run

2nd quarter 11:55

Talkers good

20-10 St. X

McMurry 13 yard TD tun

2nd quarter 10:31

Johnson 2pt conversion no good

27-10 St. X

McMurry 92 yard punt return for a TD

2nd quarter 6:23

Raque good

27-17 St. X

Slabaugh 68 yard TD pass from Bir

2nd quarter 4:30

Talkers good

34-17 St. X

McMurry 11 yard TD run

2nd quarter 1:19

Raque good

34-19 St. X

CovCath tackles a St. X player in the endzone for a safety

3rd quarter 9:26

40-19 St. X

Beach 5 yard TD pass from Brohm

4th quarter 7:42

Raque good

One thing I forgot to mention was in regards to "teammates." In the recent past there hasn't been the cohesiveness/I've got your back attitude that teams need. I commend the boys I saw today for the Colonels backing up their boys in various ways. Good to see.

TOG got home, ate a sandwich, and left to get to HHS to do another game and just got home after that game! Been a very long day!

I saw TOG sprinting off the field toward the locker room just after the end of the 2nd quarter with the 1st half stat sheet. Watched the game next to a dad of a former player who arrived at Cov. Cath. at 9:30 am to help set up the field. Had a great cheeseburger from Jack Ablen's grill on the visitor side. Thanks to all who allow the more casual fans to show up at 5 till one, plunk down 6 bucks and enjoy a great family friendly afternoon in the sun (and to Covcathiradio and his crew for those who can't attend live). Oh...and Beat Highlands.