John Hardin 49 Male 47

JD Dog

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Male stick with the "press defense" the entire game? Even with some of the great players mentioned above Male went to some cover two sets against Brohm and Trinity.

59 points????

I don't think they did much; I think 1 free, but not 2.

Whatever it was, it didn't work.

Once again, congratulations to JH. Just need to ask about Redman's defense. How many points were given up by Male's defense in after half time ? Seven points in the 4th quarter. Did the defense change after half time or did JH go conservative. I doubt that JH went conservative with such a fragile lead at the half. Sounds like both D's took over and made plays in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I was not there, so I am just curious as to why the Male defense is sooooo bad and why Redman needs to change it. As unconventional as the defense is, it obviously limits a lot of teams to less points than JH got in the first half alone. Maybe JH just cashed in on some big plays or Male had a breakdown or two. Either way, the chances of Male's defense causing an offense to execute less officiently are great. The teams that have the ability to run the ball in the middle and have speed to match the DB downfield will cause problems, with any defense.You live and die with the offense and defense that you know and believe in. Tweak and adjust both as needed but as long as you have the right type of players you stay with what has worked for you. I think Redman has been around long enough to stick by his guns and do what has been successful for him everywhere he has been.

Once again, congratulations to JH. Just need to ask about Redman's defense. How many points were given up by Male's defense in after half time ? Seven points in the 4th quarter. Did the defense change after half time or did JH go conservative. I doubt that JH went conservative with such a fragile lead at the half. Sounds like both D's took over and made plays in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I was not there, so I am just curious as to why the Male defense is sooooo bad and why Redman needs to change it. As unconventional as the defense is, it obviously limits a lot of teams to less points than JH got in the first half alone. Maybe JH just cashed in on some big plays or Male had a breakdown or two. Either way, the chances of Male's defense causing an offense to execute less officiently are great. The teams that have the ability to run the ball in the middle and have speed to match the DB downfield will cause problems, with any defense.You live and die with the offense and defense that you know and believe in. Tweak and adjust both as needed but as long as you have the right type of players you stay with what has worked for you. I think Redman has been around long enough to stick by his guns and do what has been successful for him everywhere he has been.

I think it's been pretty clear through results that without a number of certain caliber athletes, that defense has a lot of holes, especially against teams with big play potential. It's a feast or famine defense. Look at what happened in the game against X, or the game against Manual... You could argue that a lot of the times that those teams stalled, it was more on the offense sputtering than the defense stopping them. And to be honest, the team they match up least well against would be Trinity, because of their spread set philosophy on offense. I think that if Trinity could choose any of the top teams in the West to play for a title, it'd be Male, because of the defense they run.

I'm not saying that Redman should abandon the idea entirely, but like you said, you have to tweak for your opponent. You're also not at a D-I college, where you can dictate the system, and kids come to play that style ball. You work with what you get, as someone pointed out in one of the Manual-X pregame threads- You have to run your system according to your athletes.

What Redman does with offense and defense is get the best athletes on the field. If you play conventional defenses you have a hard time keeping all the athletes he has on the field at the same time. Even at the high school level, I really can't see all those same players fitting in a 4-3 or 4-4 or eve 3-4 scheme. Would they be able to stay on the field for an entire game without causing some other matchup problems. Of course when you play against a team with the spread offense you will be spread thin in the box but should more than match up outside and downfield. In the scheme that Male uses on defense, I would bet that they have come out ahead more times than not. We can all sit here and pick apart any defense or why it works against some offenses but gives up big plays against others. I will also go out on a limb and say Redman probably has less to install week to week defensively because of the simplicity of the scheme.

What Redman does with offense and defense is get the best athletes on the field. If you play conventional defenses you have a hard time keeping all the athletes he has on the field at the same time. Even at the high school level, I really can't see all those same players fitting in a 4-3 or 4-4 or eve 3-4 scheme. Would they be able to stay on the field for an entire game without causing some other matchup problems. Of course when you play against a team with the spread offense you will be spread thin in the box but should more than match up outside and downfield. In the scheme that Male uses on defense, I would bet that they have come out ahead more times than not. We can all sit here and pick apart any defense or why it works against some offenses but gives up big plays against others. I will also go out on a limb and say Redman probably has less to install week to week defensively because of the simplicity of the scheme.

I would absolutely agree with that. More than anything else, his scheme is about getting your athletes on the field and telling them "make a play."

On the other hand, I stand by what I said before. When Male's defense was at their best, they had mulit-position athletes like Bush and Spencer, and it was better than playing a more conventional defense because having Bush on the field was like having a 'backer and a DB on the field in one player. But I don't think he has the versatility in his athletes to match that, and it shows on the scoreboard. Just my opinion.

As the level of the verticle game in Louisville has gone up (and it has- look at Fern Creek, Manual, St X and Trinity, all are throwing way more than they have in the past, and although some of that is the athletes they've had, I think it's a philosophy trend we'll see continue,) the big play problems in Redman's defense has gone up. Manual is hardly the '99 Rams when it comes to passing, but they complete long throws against Male every time they play.

Tough game for the Male team & fans. Sitting side by side with opposing fans is horrible! X fans you will hate this and the PA guy is a cheerleader and is not doing his job. Being a "homer" is one thing and thats OK. I guess he got caught up into the game, but he drove us crazy. Getting out of the parking lot was very hard. Park away from the school if you can. JH was well coached and their kids played hard. I believe we just ran out of gas and out of time. Our D played better in the 2nd half, but were just worn out. Thats all I want to say, there were some great comments already and no need to rehash. Good Luck to the E-Town Dogs & the Tigers. I would go to it but I'd walk from 31W and wear ear plugs and sit over in the field by myself. I've enjoyed watching our seniors there are some great kids and we've been lucky to known them.

Can they put up some visitors bleachers? X brings more folks than we do. Does any JHs folks know why there is no seats for visitors? There is a small portion, but are almost ground level. Nice pizza & food. I also want to say the JH folks were nice to us. Its just hard sitting around others who are for the other team.