John Hardin 49 Male 47

JD Dog

Congratulations to John Hardin and their coach. Coach Brown ran a clinic on how to beat the confusion defense. I really was impressed by how well they executed and how they answered Male blow for blow the entire game. JH's fans and facilities are first class.

Where to start. I'm ready for something different on defense. Many of the comments have been right on the money. The confusion defense only seems to work when you have Montrell Jones, Michael Bush, Ibn Green caliber athletes with size and speed (and even then it fails more than it should). John Hardin played perfect misdirection in the first half and Male had no answer. The QB would very effectively fake the handoff to one back and somebody else would emerge from the line of scrimmage an instant later with a big headstart. I think John's first play from scrimmage went for 80 yards and it was all downhill from there. Every time they got the ball it was boom 70yd TD, boom 68yd TD in one or two plays. It was very disheartening. If I remember correctly, it was 21-21 at the end of the 1st quarter and JH went up 28-21 shortly thereafter. The most potent offense in the world can't score enough points when you give up one cheap TD after another. Even at the end of the first half, when JH had the ball at about the Male 40 with about 45 seconds left and was up 35-34, Male didn't put a safety back. I couldn't believe it. Of course JH scored, seizing even more of the momentum and putting Male in a deeper hole.

I'm beginning to think that Coach Redman's defense has cost him as many championships as he's won with it (I can think of two for sure).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's been pretty clear through results that without a number of certain caliber athletes, that defense has a lot of holes, especially against teams with big play potential. It's a feast or famine defense. Look at what happened in the game against X, or the game against Manual... You could argue that a lot of the times that those teams stalled, it was more on the offense sputtering than the defense stopping them.

The biggest weaknesses in Male's 2005 defense were 1) the line lacked the size to plug the middle against teams with solid o-lines and 2) the defensive backs were too short to defend the fade pass. Guys like Montrell Jones and Michael Bush could outjump the receiver and either bat the pass away or intercept it. DB's that are 5-10 in man coverage can do very little to defend a well-thrown fade pass.

The biggest weaknesses in Male's 2005 defense were 1) the line lacked the size to plug the middle against teams with solid o-lines and 2) the defensive backs were too short to defend the fade pass. Guys like Montrell Jones and Michael Bush could outjump the receiver and either bat the pass away or intercept it. DB's that are 5-10 in man coverage can do very little to defend a well-thrown fade pass.

:thumb:

Tough game for the Male team & fans. Sitting side by side with opposing fans is horrible! X fans you will hate this and the PA guy is a cheerleader and is not doing his job. Being a "homer" is one thing and thats OK. I guess he got caught up into the game, but he drove us crazy. Getting out of the parking lot was very hard. Park away from the school if you can. JH was well coached and their kids played hard. I believe we just ran out of gas and out of time. Our D played better in the 2nd half, but were just worn out. Thats all I want to say, there were some great comments already and no need to rehash. Good Luck to the E-Town Dogs & the Tigers. I would go to it but I'd walk from 31W and wear ear plugs and sit over in the field by myself. I've enjoyed watching our seniors there are some great kids and we've been lucky to known them.

That's disappointing!

69, in which way. I've made several points. The PA guy even read a statement about fans showing good sports before the game. Losing is one thing and I'm use to it, but having this guy yelling..."COME ON EVERYBODY RUSH THE FIELD...321, WE DID IT. And that was just a small sample. I know it was a big win for them and they out played us. Well good luck and I'm sure y'all will keep the PA guy out of the game.

69, in which way. I've made several points. The PA guy even read a statement about fans showing good sports before the game. Losing is one thing and I'm use to it, but having this guy yelling..."COME ON EVERYBODY RUSH THE FIELD...321, WE DID IT. And that was just a small sample. I know it was a big win for them and they out played us. Well good luck and I'm sure y'all will keep the PA guy out of the game.

I think the size of the stadium and one sided configuration bothers me. Sounds like the PA man could get on my nerves as well. But it is up to the Tigers to keep him quiet.

I wouldn't get too bothered by some PA guy being a homer and rooting for his team. I can remember being at Trinity games where the announcer mispronounced kids names on purpose. I mean c'mon, calling Jimmy Murray, Jimmy More-RAYYY. Heck, who in Jefferson County didn't know how to say Brian Brohm?

Congratulations to John Hardin and their coach. Coach Brown ran a clinic on how to beat the confusion defense. I really was impressed by how well they executed and how they answered Male blow for blow the entire game. JH's fans and facilities are first class.

Where to start. I'm ready for something different on defense. Many of the comments have been right on the money. The confusion defense only seems to work when you have Montrell Jones, Michael Bush, Ibn Green caliber athletes with size and speed (and even then it fails more than it should). John Hardin played perfect misdirection in the first half and Male had no answer. The QB would very effectively fake the handoff to one back and somebody else would emerge from the line of scrimmage an instant later with a big headstart. I think John's first play from scrimmage went for 80 yards and it was all downhill from there. Every time they got the ball it was boom 70yd TD, boom 68yd TD in one or two plays. It was very disheartening. If I remember correctly, it was 21-21 at the end of the 1st quarter and JH went up 28-21 shortly thereafter. The most potent offense in the world can't score enough points when you give up one cheap TD after another. Even at the end of the first half, when JH had the ball at about the Male 40 with about 45 seconds left and was up 35-34, Male didn't put a safety back. I couldn't believe it. Of course JH scored, seizing even more of the momentum and putting Male in a deeper hole.

I'm beginning to think that Coach Redman's defense has cost him as many championships as he's won with it (I can think of two for sure).

agree with this post 100%

LSU, I've been a football nut since I was 8. I've seen way too many games. High School the most. And to be honest I've never heard a PA like the other nite. Since I last posted about him I got a call from someone who has called JH to complain about him. To yell out "FIRST DOWN BULLDOGS" or something along that line is OK, but he was actually cheering. And if my home school did that I'd wouldn't care for it either. Just do your job. I guess if he hadn't read the Good Sports statement before the game we wouldn't be so upset. Man, when does b-ball start?

LSU, I've been a football nut since I was 8. I've seen way too many games. High School the most. And to be honest I've never heard a PA like the other nite. Since I last posted about him I got a call from someone who has called JH to complain about him. To yell out "FIRST DOWN BULLDOGS" or something along that line is OK, but he was actually cheering. And if my home school did that I'd wouldn't care for it either. Just do your job. I guess if he hadn't read the Good Sports statement before the game we wouldn't be so upset. Man, when does b-ball start?

Sounds like the guy is confusing himself with the radio color guy. :lol:

Does anyone see Bobby Redman FINALLY changing his defense, will this be the straws of many straws to break the camels back? He has to realize that his defense scheme is the problem....how many times can you score 47 points an lose? Male does it often

That's a good question. If he's going to keep it, maybe Male should attempt 2 point conversions every time. At least that way if you have a great offense and can't stop the other team from making big plays you have a chance to actually outscore them.

I see by pervious post that the JH PA man has ruffle some feathers, if I remember right last year up at Male there PA was pulling for his team. Sorry that the PA man (Good Guy) by the way, upset the Male fans.

Dave Hawkins was a great announcer and I never remember him pulling for any team while announcing. I heard him several times.