Greenup County 60 Raceland 34

PureFan

A few Greenup County players did pull down a sign/banner last night in their excitement after the game. They were immediately called back by the coaches. They did not realize it was a sign in memory of a fallen Racleand teamate, to imply otherwise is untrue. The situation was dealt with after the game by Coach Copley. Apologies go out to the Baldridge family.

That is exactly how it happened and we most certainly would never do anything in disrespect to the Baldridge family because GCHS feels your pain, we have an angel watching over us as well. Our upmost apologies go out the Baldridge family.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few Greenup County players did pull down a sign/banner last night in their excitement after the game. They were immediately called back by the coaches. They did not realize it was a sign in memory of a fallen Racleand teamate, to imply otherwise is untrue. The situation was dealt with after the game by Coach Copley. Apologies go out to the Baldridge family.

I do understand about the excitement!

Some of you must have been watching a different game than I was last night because the game was not decided at the half like mentioned above. The score was 20-20 at the beginning of the second half. GC was up by only 2 scores with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Not alot against a QB like Farley. Under 8 minutes GC went up by three. Yes, Corey Lyle was left in the game at that time when it was discovered he was only 6 yards away from a school record. He broke free for a long touchdown and was then pulled from the game.

Some have asked why we didn't put in our 2, 3, or 4th string players...WHAT PLAYERS???? Greenup has fewer players on the roster than Raceland. When you subtract out the 24 or so that consistently play varsity and the ones who are injured or ineligible that only left 8 players. (Freshman) They were played, including our Freshman QB. Greenup does not have enough players for a full JV or Freshman team. We have to use 8th graders.

Raceland has an excellent Football program and I was impressed with their offensive line last night. They will have a great season.

:thumb:

As an objective reader with no affiliation with either team, I feel your pain, but it sounds like a scheduling problem from here.

The way your first post read, I thought you guys put in your subs and GC scored 21 unanswered to end the game.

39-27 is not a comfortable lead in HS football and not a time to pull your starters. Neither is 46-27, and probably not 53-27 either. If Raceland was able to put up 34 points, they were keeping it close enough to where I wouldn't have pulled my starters until I knew it was safe, and that might have been 53-27 depending on the time remaining. I know your team was worn out, and you had to sub out because your players were tired, but even at that, a 12 or 19 point lead isn't safe until the numbers on the clock start getting pretty small.

Honest question: It was 34-27, then 46-27, then 53-27, then 60-27, right? Then Raceland tacked on a late TD to make it 60-34.

At what point should GC have pulled their starters?

You are correct Watsui in everything you have stated, it is a true shame that we have to have sour grapes about the score and running up the score when all our kids were trying to do was seal the deal. I have been in this game a very long time and have seen many coaches through the years as a player all the way through the college ranks and as an official in the college ranks and I would rate the class and integrity of Coach Copley right up there with the top I have had the priviledge of being involved with in my years in the sports arena. Our coaches demand class, respect and discipline out of not only the players but everyone involved in the program. I also know that if there were any players or administration that did not act as we want them to act that Principal Dunaway will take care of that issue immediately.

I for one am very proud of our O-Line's effort and the way our boys stepped it up in the second half to get this victory and am very proud of the class our program continues to display both on the field and off.

Some of you must have been watching a different game than I was last night because the game was not decided at the half like mentioned above. The score was 20-20 at the beginning of the second half. GC was up by only 2 scores with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Not alot against a QB like Farley. Under 8 minutes GC went up by three. Yes, Corey Lyle was left in the game at that time when it was discovered he was only 6 yards away from a school record. He broke free for a long touchdown and was then pulled from the game.

Some have asked why we didn't put in our 2, 3, or 4th string players...WHAT PLAYERS???? Greenup has fewer players on the roster than Raceland. When you subtract out the 24 or so that consistently play varsity and the ones who are injured or ineligible that only left 8 players. (Freshman) They were played, including our Freshman QB. Greenup does not have enough players for a full JV or Freshman team. We have to use 8th graders.

Raceland has an excellent Football program and I was impressed with their offensive line last night.

I don't complain about getting beat bad by a good ball club. But things didn't look good from the orange side of the field. What about putting in the big lineman in to run the ball down the RAMS throats. Then gave him another shot at it with the game way out of hand. Coaches and a lot football fans know when this game was over. I don't think our coaching staff was wrong putting in subs as early as they did. I think they know the game. I did see fresh running backs in the last series of downs. They wern't 6'4 and 250+ pounds.:isurrender:

That is exactly how it happened and we most certainly would never do anything in disrespect to the Baldridge family because GCHS feels your pain, we have an angel watching over us as well. Our upmost apologies go out the Baldridge family.

Does it matter if it was about one of our fallen soldiers?

Does it matter if it was about one of our fallen soldiers?

Actually, your right it doesn't. The couple of players that pulled down the spirit sign along the fenceline as they ran off the field, SHOULD NOT HAVE TORN DOWN ANY SIGN, regardless of what it said. That it was in memory of a fallen teammate does make it more inflamatory. As I said above, the situation was dealt with after the game, rightly so, by the COACH. Enough Said.

The Big guy who ran for the touchdown to put the score up by 52 to 26 was number 6, Senior Michael Hampton. A first year football player and GC Basketball player.

I don't complain about getting beat bad by a good ball club. But things didn't look good from the orange side of the field. What about putting in the big lineman in to run the ball down the RAMS throats. Then gave him another shot at it with the game way out of hand. Coaches and a lot football fans know when this game was over. I don't think our coaching staff was wrong putting in subs as early as they did. I think they know the game. I did see fresh running backs in the last series of downs. They wern't 6'4 and 250+ pounds.:isurrender:

Just to let you know, I belive that #6 practices at running back every day. Correct me if I'm wrong but when you finally think you have a game in hand is when you work on things for future reference. I don't think that giving someone their first carry in a game that is still undecided would be very smart. Being a first year player and no game experience at running back is why #6 got his carries (3) when he did. I think the coaches may have liked what they seen and #6 may have earned a few more carries in the future. I agree the tearing down of signs was immature and should not have been done and I don't think they read them and knew the meaning of one in particular. We are dealing with teenage boys here and anyone that was one or has had one knows how that is. They don't always make the best spur of the moment decisions.

Raceland has an excellent Football program and I was impressed with their offensive line last night. They will have a great season.

I have no problem with any of this. The way the game was played was absolutely fine with me. I don't think this was a "running up" of the score, but I do think it was "scoring as much as possible" (two different things in my book). I was disappointed in the behavior of some players after the games. Not mad, just disappointed. But, if you say it was taken care of after the game, then problem solved.

I hate to hear that the signs were torn down, no matter what they had on them. Can't make an informed decision on how GC played the game since I wasn't there, but I don't see any way the signs should have been allowed to be taken down. I do hope that the players are punished for that, I don't think there is any place for that. Kids will be kids, but I still think you have to take a stance and show them that this kind of behavior cannot happen. JMO.

In another thread I made the prediction that the rumor was Copley wanted to win by as much as possible and not sign the contract for next year. Well, 60-34 is scoring a good amount. And, I hear there was some questions after the game about if the contract would be signed for next year.

Does anyone else question if I was right about this contract being in jeopardy?