If we're going to stay with 6 classes, should there be required region games?

Jim Schue

Since it appears six classes is here to stay, the regular season tends to leave you wanting a bit with most teams only playing three regular season games that really mean something. Plus, it can create some scheduling difficulty having to line up as many as seven non-district games.

What about adding two more required games onto schedules, against teams from the opposing district in your region? Could be a good way to build up more rivalries, as these teams would be the ones a school would be paired against (potentially) in the playoffs.

It could be used as a tiebreaker in the district standings and to determine a regular-season region champion; and perhaps be the determining factor for home-field advantage for the playoff region championship.

Thoughts???? Concerns????

On the surface, sounds like a good idea. However, I wonder what the "elite" teams think about the idea. Instead of scheduling powerhouses from Ohio, for example, would a couple of games against regional competition be what the Rocks, Tigers and Birds (for example) rather have on the schedule?

That is an interesting idea Jim and it addresses a real problem with the 6 class system, scheduling and travel. It is good to think about these issues, although personally I don't like this idea much from a coaching perspective.

I've never been a fan of scheduling potential playoff opponents during the regular season. Some people may like it, but I think it messes with your preparation in a rematch.

The other objection for me would be using it as a tiebreaker, bad idea in my opinion. I don't know how you could do that and keep it fair because you aren't playing every team from the other district. The tie breaker system we have now is fair, IMO, and rewards tougher scheduling (if you win).

I know scheduling is a problem, more so for some teams than others, but I don't think I could embrace this as the solution.

Since it appears six classes is here to stay, the regular season tends to leave you wanting a bit with most teams only playing three regular season games that really mean something. Plus, it can create some scheduling difficulty having to line up as many as seven non-district games.

What about adding two more required games onto schedules, against teams from the opposing district in your region? Could be a good way to build up more rivalries, as these teams would be the ones a school would be paired against (potentially) in the playoffs.

It could be used as a tiebreaker in the district standings and to determine a regular-season region champion; and perhaps be the determining factor for home-field advantage for the playoff region championship.

Thoughts???? Concerns????

Personally I like the idea, but logistically it may not by very practical.

Can not garuntee the two games, this would limit the teams from the 6 or 7 man districts getting any freedom in their schedule at all, causing some unfairness.

Under GCHS' proposal, there are five districts (out of 48) with six teams, meaning those teams would still have three games to schedule with whomever. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal.

I think the KHSAA is pretty concerned with travel, that is why they are allowing teams to move up if they face a "travel hardship", it would be counterproductive for them to allow that then say you have to play regional games and travel further then what your district teams are. But, I'm not against it, most teams travel quite a bit for games as it is.

Another option is the formation of conferences. In our area we have the Eastern Kentucky Conference, and that adds some games to our schedule. Plus, it's a nice thing to shoot for - winning the conference.

I have heard some talk about realining the 6 classes Districts. In the Distric Male is in there is Male/Fern Creek/Southern and thats it. That will change next season. A whole new designing. Not sure of the teams and how? Just know its coming. Male beats FC or Southern and they make the playdowns. This needs to be done. And something about Simon Kenton too. I'll post more when I learn more.

The regions are so spread out. We are talking 3+ hour drives for some teams. Granted it would only be one additional road game, but for some schools that might be tough to swing.

I could argue that there are a number of teams already doing long trips in non-conference games because of scheduling difficulties. In this case, it may be a trip you have to make anyway come playoff time, so why not get a taste of it in the regular season?

I can see the problems concerning travel time that some people are expressing but do not really see the big issue with it. One of the places I played in high school required us to travel 2 hours for our closest away game, and that was in any sport. Some of the games were up to 3 or 4 hours away. That was just ion the regular season and the playoffs were typically worse on travel times.

I think the best thing to do would be to go to 5 classes, have 7 or 8 teams in a conference, do away with districts and regions. Seed the teams from the conferences (how ever many that would be) into the state tournament with conference champions getting the tops seeds, and let the tournament go. If travel becomes to much of an issue, use a neutral site (this wouldn't be the first time this has happened). If you want to find out where the top teams come from, stoip making the finals a East vs. West thing as it is set up now. When the State Champion and State Runner-up come from the same conference, you will know where the best ball is being played that year for that class (actually seen this happen when I was in high school).