Joey Votto, NL MVP?

saint4

It might be a little early to talk about this, but he definately deserves it. .

.322 batting average (1st in NL)

119 hits (10th in NL)

27 home runs (2nd in NL)

72 RBI (5th in NL)

74 runs (5th in NL)

If he keeps it up and doesn't ge injured and the Reds make the playoffs, I think he deserves it for sure.

Votto's numbers are better than Pujols right now and as long as he stays healthy, I don't see that changing.

Not really....

Pujols is hitting .305 with 27 HRs and 78 RBI and an OPS of .972

Votto is hitting .324 with 27 HRs and 73 RBI and an OPS of 1.027

Really not much difference at all.

Votto's numbers are better than Pujols right now and as long as he stays healthy, I don't see that changing.

It will all be predicated on who is able to win the division, imo. Pujols is having a sub-par year by his standards to this point, so I am not putting it past him to go on one of his tears.

Probably will come down to these two candidate, and Pujols has the advantage of name recognition, is a better defensive player, and the media loves him.

Joey is having a career year, and if he can stay healthy-this will go down to the wire.

I still found it weird that his peers aren't that crazy about Votto based on the all-star backups being voted on by the players. Joey needs to do a better job in the PR department.

^That All-Star snub may end up being the best thing for Votto's marketability. He's a household name now, in large part because of it IMO.

You may be right, although I don't know that Nick Swisher-the AL representative in the same boat as Votto is a household name. Perhaps in your area-he is.

You may be right, although I don't know that Nick Swisher-the AL representative in the same boat as Votto is a household name. Perhaps in your area-he is.

That's not necessarily what I meant. For the 3-4 days the fan voting was going on, all ESPN did was show Votto highlights and talk about how much of a disservice it was to snub him. Swisher didn't get that kind of coverage. The casual baseball fan is more likely to pay attention to what Votto is doing now, after he was essentially jammed down their throats for nearly a week straight. JMO.