June 9, 201016 yr How do all these shake ups all affect college basketball? If all of these teams are going to the Pac-10 for football, does that mean that they all will for basketball also?
June 9, 201016 yr One would certainly expect the conference moves to include all sports. I don't have any clue how it would affect basketball scheduling/conference tournaments. It would seem that more NCAA at-large bids will be available since a couple conferences might be shutting down, but you can expect those bids to go to the new big conferences. By that I mean instead of 6 bids, the Big Ten should now expect 9-10. The worst case scenario that has been proposed is the creation of four 16-team conference that break away from the NCAA and begin their own "association," developing their own tournaments in all sports, freezing out the mid-majors like Boise State, Utah, and Gonzaga, along with, dare we say, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Kansas.
June 9, 201016 yr I think the NCAA is changing quickly and I'm not sure where it is going, but I don't think I like it.
June 10, 201016 yr I think the NCAA is changing quickly and I'm not sure where it is going, but I don't think I like it. The NCAA's historical lack of attempting to control football could ultimately lead to the demise of the entire organization.
June 10, 201016 yr One would certainly expect the conference moves to include all sports. I don't have any clue how it would affect basketball scheduling/conference tournaments. It would seem that more NCAA at-large bids will be available since a couple conferences might be shutting down, but you can expect those bids to go to the new big conferences. By that I mean instead of 6 bids, the Big Ten should now expect 9-10. The worst case scenario that has been proposed is the creation of four 16-team conference that break away from the NCAA and begin their own "association," developing their own tournaments in all sports, freezing out the mid-majors like Boise State, Utah, and Gonzaga, along with, dare we say, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Kansas. I like it. We would the have true Division I, Division II, Division III sports.
June 10, 201016 yr I hate the idea of all the "super" conferences. NCAA has no control of what goes on.
June 10, 201016 yr Why does no one want Kansas?Because this is about football only. Kansas doesn't have much to offer and when you tie in K State to them it gets even worse.
June 10, 201016 yr I think the most interesting aspect of this whole thing is the potential split between the Big East's football schools and it's non-football schools. The Big East was constructed as a basketball conference and most of its founding schools don't play football, because private schools generally don't have the alumni base and random statewide or city-wide support of large, public universities. But I wouldn't mind seeing the split because it allows this to happen: The oft-mentioned "Catholic League" featuring Dayton, Xavier, St. Joseph's, Saint Louis, Marquette, St. John's, Seton Hall, DePaul... I'm hesitant to call any scenario that puts Dayton in a conference with Georgetown and Villanova a "Dream Scenario," but it would be fun. (St. Bonaventure, Fordham, La Salle, and Duquesne would likely be on the outside looking in in this scenario). And Notre Dame... quite frankly I don't care what you do. What will actually happen if the Big East breaks up in basketball? I don't have the slightest clue, but this "Catholic League" has been talked about as the future of a few of the better Atlantic 10 schools for a few years now. The last conference shake-up brought Charlotte and Saint Louis into the Atlantic 10 and I'm interested to see where it goes from here.
June 10, 201016 yr One thing I cannot figure out is why the Big Ten don't take Kansas as well. I know its all about Football, but if they are looking to add Missouri, along with Nebraska and possibly Notre Dame, you would think getting Kansas for basketball purposes would make since as well. Kanas IMO would fit in alright with the Big 10 football scene, I mean if they want, and would take Missouri, why not Kansas? My other question, why isn't the SEC looking to do anything? I know they are in a position right now as to where they don't really have to, but if they are planning on continuing to be the best football conference, they should try to block a few of the Pac 10's moves and add the likes of Texas, Texas A&M or possibly Oklahoma. Then venture down and take a stab at FSU, Miami, and Georgia Tech. If they could nab a few of those then by far the SEC would be the most competitive conference around. Also distance wise shouldn't be too bad on teams traveling to new areas.
June 10, 201016 yr One thing I cannot figure out is why the Big Ten don't take Kansas as well. I know its all about Football, but if they are looking to add Missouri, along with Nebraska and possibly Notre Dame, you would think getting Kansas for basketball purposes would make since as well. Kanas IMO would fit in alright with the Big 10 football scene, I mean if they want, and would take Missouri, why not Kansas? There are a lot more TVs to put the Big Ten Network onto in Missouri than there are in Kansas. Missouri has St. Louis (which would be appealing to Illinois as well) and Kansas City (which might be half Kansas/half Missouri). Bottom line is both cities get you Missouri, one city bolsters a current school, and one school might get you half a city. And you mix all that together and Kansas/Kansas State just aren't that appealing.
June 10, 201016 yr My other question, why isn't the SEC looking to do anything? I know they are in a position right now as to where they don't really have to, but if they are planning on continuing to be the best football conference, they should try to block a few of the Pac 10's moves and add the likes of Texas, Texas A&M or possibly Oklahoma. Then venture down and take a stab at FSU, Miami, and Georgia Tech. If they could nab a few of those then by far the SEC would be the most competitive conference around. Also distance wise shouldn't be too bad on teams traveling to new areas. It's not necessarily a competitive situation. Honest question: Do you think a 16-team Pac-10 with all the Texas schools is better than the current 12-team SEC? I'm not sure the new Pac-10 is that much better. Now adding teams like Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, and Clemson, while appealing to people in the south, doesn't do much for the bottom line. Florida doesn't like Florida State and Miami because (a) they are a threat to the Gators and (b) Florida can't recruit against the 'Noles and 'Canes by saying "come play in the SEC." And even if you got those two, the SEC already has all the viewers in Florida. Georgia Tech brings Atlanta viewers, which the SEC already has with Georgia. Clemson brings in South Carolina viewers, which is already in the SEC. Bottom line, there aren't a great number of teams to expand with in the SEC. I guess you could see the SEC move to 16 teams in the future as just a way to combat the Big Ten and Pac-10 and those teams might be FSU, Tech, Clemson and say, Virginia Tech/Virginia/West Virginia. But I believe that the SEC will be the last conference to move, especially if there isn't anything available from the state of Texas.
June 10, 201016 yr ^ What I'm saying though is they could take Texas, and possibly a second from the current Big 12, (so Texas doesn't feel alone) like Texas A&M, and add them to the SEC West, then add two from a Florida State, Miami, G Tech, or Va Tech to the East and have a KING conference in basically all sports (with the exception being basketball). If everyone else is going to 16 to try and out do the SEC, I don't see why the SEC doesn't want to do anything to combat it. Adding Texas would be huge!
June 10, 201016 yr ^ What I'm saying though is they could take Texas, and possibly a second from the current Big 12, (so Texas doesn't feel alone) like Texas A&M, and add them to the SEC West, then add two from a Florida State, Miami, G Tech, or Va Tech to the East and have a KING conference in basically all sports (with the exception being basketball). If everyone else is going to 16 to try and out do the SEC, I don't see why the SEC doesn't want to do anything to combat it. Adding Texas would be huge! Texas has NO desire to be part of the SEC. The SEC is looked down upon academically and culturally. The University of Texas and Austin in particular is a very culturally diverse place that puts a premuim on being looked upon like UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal, etc... If the SEC wants to add teams, it appears they will have to raid the ACC and possibly the Big East.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.