Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach Miller's Interview

Featured Replies

I read Coach Miller's recent interview regarding High School Baseball in Ky and I couldnt agree with him more. He is dead on. Parents and AAU ball in Ky are pretty ridiculous. No fundamentals taught with most teams. You watch other states play our teams and you see a difference to say the least. Coach Miller ,besides being successful , has seen the changes that we now have. I agree so much with him regarding how parents act and the overall lack of knowledge of how the game should be played. Parents only care about their kids and not the team. It was always bad but it is ridiculous now. There is so much Daddy Ball going on...makes me sick. I dont know how some of these hs coaches stand it. It seems there are not many people that either care about the fundamentals of the game or dont know. I was at a game this week...a team had a 6 run lead twice...and tried to throw out runners at home with out success. Led to runs and extra outs. The same team was ahead by 3 runs..looking at a bases loaded and nobody out situation. Guess where the first baseman was playing? In front of the runner...AND very wide of the bag with a LEFT handed hitter up. The left handed hitter then hit a line drive that missed the bag on the inside for a TRIPLE down the line. Amazing. Game tied. Went to third...next batter hits fly ball for SF and a 8-7 lead. I am sorry...but...where is the knowledge of the game??

Who is Coach Miller?

Who is Coach Miller?

 

Bill Miller from Pleasure Ridge Park in Louisville. He's been coaching for nearly 30 years and has over 900 wins to go along with 4 state championships.

Throw a link up to the interview.

  • Author
Throw a link up to the interview.

 

It is in the Herald Leader...I think it is about 10 days old...it is on a Ky Prep.com...I re-read it today...I think the reporter 's name was Fields. I hope that helps...it is very good and accurate article.

It is in the Herald Leader...I think it is about 10 days old...it is on a Ky Prep.com...I re-read it today...I think the reporter 's name was Fields. I hope that helps...it is very good and accurate article.

 

Here it is.

 

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/04/30/1245246/prps-miller-says-prep-baseball.html

 

Thus began Miller's blunt appraisal of Kentucky high school baseball: "Everybody talks about how much better is these days, but I don't concur. Every year I think it gets weaker." Miller offered the opinion that past powerhouses, such as Madison Central's undefeated 1982 state champs and Harrison County's best clubs in the 1990s "would eat these teams alive today."

I can't say that I disagree with you Birdhunter. But this is the way I see the problem. There are not many highly qualified coaches that are willing or able to give up the time it takes to coach a baseball team, or any team for that matter, if it is not coaching their own child. Just because a dad was a great player, does not mean he will be a good coach. Maybe the baseball organizations should put in guidelines for coaches as to how and what they expect from youth coaches. Appoint someone to monitor them. Maybe geography has some bearing on the abilities of our youth. While talking to a youth baseball mom from Maine. She told me they could not get on their fields until late may that year. I have watched youth baseball in Florida in January. Maybe we should try and get more club baseball organizations with fixed coaches. Hunter Jones just commented on baseball in Kentucky, compared to baseball in California. His comment was in Kentucky there is maybe one player on a team that is of the very top level. In California there are 15 players on each team at that level. I know some average dad's that have and have had, some very top teams. I have seen some dad's that were former collage and pro players that had teams that were just so so. You can't teach heart and desire, you can't compete with playing time. All things considered it is not an easy fix. I as well could tell you a number of things wrong with youth sports. that's the easy part. Shouldn't we be giving solutions instead of pointing out what many already know. Maybe we need to just let kids play more pickup games and give up a little constant structure, just let'em be kids.

Edited by dd734

  • Author
I can't say that I disagree with you Birdhunter. But this is the way I see the problem. There are not many highly qualified coaches that are willing or able to give up the time it takes to coach a baseball team, or any team for that matter, if it is not coaching their own child. Just because a dad was a great player, does not mean he will be a good coach. Maybe the baseball organizations should put in guidelines for coaches as to how and what they expect from youth coaches. Appoint someone to monitor them. Maybe geography has some bearing on the abilities of our youth. While talking to a youth baseball mom from Maine. She told me they could not get on their fields until late may that year. I have watched youth baseball in Florida in January. Maybe we should try and get more club baseball organizations with fixed coaches. Hunter Jones just commented on baseball in Kentucky, compared to baseball in California. His comment was in Kentucky there is maybe one player on a team that is of the very top level. In California there are 15 players on each team at that level. I know some average dad's that have and have had, some very top teams. I have seen some dad's that were former collage and pro players that had teams that were just so so. You can't teach heart and desire, you can't compete with playing time. All things considered it is not an easy fix. I as well could tell you a number of things wrong with youth sports. that's the easy part. Shouldn't we be giving solutions instead of pointing out what many already know. Maybe we need to just let kids play more pickup games and give up a little constant structure, just let'em be kids.

 

Great Post DD...the one solution I have thought about...that should work in theory...is that there could be instructional days...by qualified coaches...no games. There would be no involvement from schools or parents. Independent evaluators of talent...instructional guys that have been around the game should be involved as teachers. In other words...no personal agendas. I agree with you regarding letting them be kids...seems like the kids are getting pressure from their parents to be Mr. Stud Muffin so they can live in their world. I see good kids that arent good athletes seem to die on the vine athletically . Parents should understand that these kids should be enjoying life and not be pressured to hit 400 and be All- Region. It is sad to see. What kind of message does it send when parents dont come to games when their son isnt playing? I like the Club idea you mentioned...whatever is the best for the kids...is what I am all about.

.....Shouldn't we be giving solutions instead of pointing out what many already know. Maybe we need to just let kids play more pickup games and give up a little constant structure, just let'em be kids.

 

When was the last time you saw a group of kids playing a pick-up game of baseball? For me the answer is about 30 years ago. I honestly can't think of one time in the last decade that I saw a full group of kids playing baseball on their own. IMO, this is the biggest factor in the decline of baseball, not coaching, not parents, not organizations. Get kids back on the ball fields having fun, and you'll see the quality of play improve. Would you expect a high school kid to be a good basketball player if the only time he touched a ball was at team practices & games?

When was the last time you saw a group of kids playing a pick-up game of baseball? For me the answer is about 30 years ago. I honestly can't think of one time in the last decade that I saw a full group of kids playing baseball on their own. IMO, this is the biggest factor in the decline of baseball, not coaching, not parents, not organizations. Get kids back on the ball fields having fun, and you'll see the quality of play improve. Would you expect a high school kid to be a good basketball player if the only time he touched a ball was at team practices & games?

 

I agree 100%. I remember growing up (which is not that long ago) we would play games with just 4 guys if we had to, two on two with ghost runners and pitchers clutch. The hardest part was finding an open field that you didn't get run off from.

ft. bronc that is funny you mentioned about pick up baseball games. That is a real issue in most places. I do see pick up games all the time up the street from me in one yard. Other than that you never see kids just out playing baseball.

In the hustle and bustle world in which we live. I can see parents telling their children, just play video games until we have to leave to go to the pitching coach, hitting coach, kicking, running, jumping, or what ever kind of instructor they may have. To much money is spent for their child to be tired when they go to get instructed. I'm not saying that specialized instruction isn't important, but does a 10 year old really need a pitching coach?

Unfortunately, the popularity of baseball is a distant third to that of football and basketball in most areas of Kentucky. Many kids still play all through little league but in middle school their focus tends to go towards football and basketball. Especially in the rural communities. Go to a rural community on a Friday night during the fall and you will find a packed house at the local football game. The same is true during the winter for basketball. I teach in a rural community and I will routinely see crowds of 2000 people for a football or basketball game. As for baseball, we are lucky to get over 50 people for a home game. The larger crowds add to the allure of football and basketball especially to kids in the middle grades. At that age they tend to start looking forward to playing high school football and basketball more and simply choosing to not play baseball in order to focus on another sport. Thus leading to a high school baseball team with less athletic ability.

 

Also, selfishness in baseball is growing. Many players quietly hope for the guy playing over them to fail so they can then get in the game. Parents are seeking out ways for their kids to transfer because their kid is getting "screwed". Parents and players are angered when they have to bunt, be pinch hit for or dh'd for, or when they have to play a different position. Some parents just can't accept the fact that little Johnny who pitched, hit 3rd, and played short stop for his little league team has now been reduced to the role of pinch runner/hitter or playing right field when one of the starting outfielders has to pitch.

 

One thing parents need to learn is this, they can't say or do anything to make the coach like or play their kid more. However, they can say or do plenty to motivate the coach to take their kid out of the line up completely.

 

Also, summer travel ball is becoming a slippery slope. Many kids are choosing to not play with their high school teammates during the summer and paying thousands of dollars to play on travel teams that rarely practice. The kids have fun and get travel to some different places however, many of these players do not develop as players due to the lack of practice. Also, some kids don't play simply due to the lack of money. Then we have situations in which some players are trying to use summer ball to get recruited by other high school teams.

 

I hope these things will change for the better but right now this trend is growing.

Unfortunately, the popularity of baseball is a distant third to that of football and basketball in most areas of Kentucky. Many kids still play all through little league but in middle school their focus tends to go towards football and basketball. Especially in the rural communities. Go to a rural community on a Friday night during the fall and you will find a packed house at the local football game. The same is true during the winter for basketball. I teach in a rural community and I will routinely see crowds of 2000 people for a football or basketball game. As for baseball, we are lucky to get over 50 people for a home game. The larger crowds add to the allure of football and basketball especially to kids in the middle grades. At that age they tend to start looking forward to playing high school football and basketball more and simply choosing to not play baseball in order to focus on another sport. Thus leading to a high school baseball team with less athletic ability.

 

Also, selfishness in baseball is growing. Many players quietly hope for the guy playing over them to fail so they can then get in the game. Parents are seeking out ways for their kids to transfer because their kid is getting "screwed". Parents and players are angered when they have to bunt, be pinch hit for or dh'd for, or when they have to play a different position. Some parents just can't accept the fact that little Johnny who pitched, hit 3rd, and played short stop for his little league team has now been reduced to the role of pinch runner/hitter or playing right field when one of the starting outfielders has to pitch.

 

One thing parents need to learn is this, they can't say or do anything to make the coach like or play their kid more. However, they can say or do plenty to motivate the coach to take their kid out of the line up completely.

 

Also, summer travel ball is becoming a slippery slope. Many kids are choosing to not play with their high school teammates during the summer and paying thousands of dollars to play on travel teams that rarely practice. The kids have fun and get travel to some different places however, many of these players do not develop as players due to the lack of practice. Also, some kids don't play simply due to the lack of money. Then we have situations in which some players are trying to use summer ball to get recruited by other high school teams.

 

I hope these things will change for the better but right now this trend is growing.

 

Agree with your post except for what I have bolded. That is true in basketball and football too, not just baseball.

 

p.s. I LOVE your avatar

  • Author
Unfortunately, the popularity of baseball is a distant third to that of football and basketball in most areas of Kentucky. Many kids still play all through little league but in middle school their focus tends to go towards football and basketball. Especially in the rural communities. Go to a rural community on a Friday night during the fall and you will find a packed house at the local football game. The same is true during the winter for basketball. I teach in a rural community and I will routinely see crowds of 2000 people for a football or basketball game. As for baseball, we are lucky to get over 50 people for a home game. The larger crowds add to the allure of football and basketball especially to kids in the middle grades. At that age they tend to start looking forward to playing high school football and basketball more and simply choosing to not play baseball in order to focus on another sport. Thus leading to a high school baseball team with less athletic ability.

 

Also, selfishness in baseball is growing. Many players quietly hope for the guy playing over them to fail so they can then get in the game. Parents are seeking out ways for their kids to transfer because their kid is getting "screwed". Parents and players are angered when they have to bunt, be pinch hit for or dh'd for, or when they have to play a different position. Some parents just can't accept the fact that little Johnny who pitched, hit 3rd, and played short stop for his little league team has now been reduced to the role of pinch runner/hitter or playing right field when one of the starting outfielders has to pitch.

 

One thing parents need to learn is this, they can't say or do anything to make the coach like or play their kid more. However, they can say or do plenty to motivate the coach to take their kid out of the line up completely.

 

Also, summer travel ball is becoming a slippery slope. Many kids are choosing to not play with their high school teammates during the summer and paying thousands of dollars to play on travel teams that rarely practice. The kids have fun and get travel to some different places however, many of these players do not develop as players due to the lack of practice. Also, some kids don't play simply due to the lack of money. Then we have situations in which some players are trying to use summer ball to get recruited by other high school teams.

 

I hope these things will change for the better but right now this trend is growing.

 

Papa..you and DD are seeing the same thing that I am...wonder if things can change for the better...????

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.