April 22, 201016 yr Apples and pianos.....to think there are close to as many UK fans within 60 miles of Nash-vegas as there is to Louisville is ludicrous. The SEC tourney here would do well for the town, but nearly what it did for Nashville. The SEC tourney would give Louisville a huge economic boost.
April 22, 201016 yr Plus, most of the people (UK fans) who would attend won't be staying in local hotels, and probably wouldn't even be spending money at local restaurants, given how most of the rest of the state thinks of Louisville as a foreign country to be avoided at all cost. What do you mean they treat Louisville as a foreign country to be avoided at all costs?
April 22, 201016 yr What do you mean they treat Louisville as a foreign country to be avoided at all costs? Most of the rest of the state harbors an extreme anti-Louisville bias. It crops up in many more places than just the UK-UofL argument (like, for instance, how Louisville teams are always the villain at the Sweet 16, or the way the state legislature goes out of its way to put the screws to the Louisville area). You can't tell me you've never heard anyone suggest Louisville secede from Kentucky and become part of Indiana.
April 22, 201016 yr What a terrible, terrible name. I get so tired of stupid, meaningless corporate names that in no way, shape or form help distinguish the venue from any other. Should've been a local flavor name (no pun intended) such as Denny Crum or Muhammad Ali associated with it. I was so glad when the Reds got a new home, that the naming rights of Cinergy/Duke did not follow. I guess it could've been worse, if they had called it the "Great American Insurance Ballpark". But, you take out the word insurance...and now it just sounds like a couple of adjectives thrown in their to describe the field. Not so cheesey. And actually, with PBS, I'd say Cincinnati might have the best set of names for their stadiums of any city out there.
April 22, 201016 yr Parking will be a nightmare and there is no solution to fix it.Move $7 away from it like me.
April 22, 201016 yr Most of the rest of the state harbors an extreme anti-Louisville bias. It crops up in many more places than just the UK-UofL argument (like, for instance, how Louisville teams are always the villain at the Sweet 16, or the way the state legislature goes out of its way to put the screws to the Louisville area). You can't tell me you've never heard anyone suggest Louisville secede from Kentucky and become part of Indiana. We actually talked about this in the class right after I posted this. I honestly hadn't heard this before, but my professor went on a big tangent about it today. He said a lot of it had to do with the railroads in the 1800's, I don't see why that would continue today, but stranger things have happened. I'd only been to Louisville probably twice before my senior year, but my mom and brothers moved there after I graduated and I'd have to say I really, really like Louisville.
April 23, 201016 yr The SEC tourney would give Louisville a huge economic boost. I wouldn't mind seeing it here...and I agree it will add money, heck the town would have nothing else going on. I just think it wouldn't be as big as a boon that Nashville, Atlanta, Tampa, etc....would see. UK drives the dollars, in turnstiles, hotels, and dining. If the SEC tourney is here, the hotel situation would take a hit, as would the dining.
April 23, 201016 yr Most of the rest of the state harbors an extreme anti-Louisville bias. It crops up in many more places than just the UK-UofL argument (like, for instance, how Louisville teams are always the villain at the Sweet 16, or the way the state legislature goes out of its way to put the screws to the Louisville area). You can't tell me you've never heard anyone suggest Louisville secede from Kentucky and become part of Indiana. :thumb: . . . never Indiana....hopefully a "district" ie...like the Washington D.C.
April 23, 201016 yr I'd only been to Louisville probably twice before my senior year, but my mom and brothers moved there after I graduated and I'd have to say I really, really like Louisville. Louisville really is an awesome asset to our Commonwealth. I hate that the rest of the state views our city the way they do, but can deal with their feelings. Like anything else, I bet those that hate on us the most, have never been here for any sort of substantive amount of time.
April 23, 201016 yr I know you are a very intelligent person, but let me set you straight on something I know quite a bit about. The uber-wealthy of our country donate the most money to charities, schools, etc....they don't do it out of the goodness of their heart. They do it, understanding that it either go to good, or for Uncle Sam's misuse. So there are no Andrew Carnegies left? Wow. And I thought I had a dim view of rich people. :eek: "I would as soon leave my son a curse as the almighty dollar."
April 23, 201016 yr Jim, I talked to several UK fans yesterday and everyone of the out-of-town fans would definitely stay in Louisville for this. I think you underestimate how many UK fans travel to the site of the SEC tourny just to be around the atmosphere. I'm not saying this would happen. But I do believe you dismiss the actual benefit Louisville would get from hosting this. Exactly. By that rationale, there would not have been near the number of people in Nashville this past season with Kentucky being in close proximity. And that certainly was not the case. The SEC tourney would give Louisville a huge economic boost. Again, I'm just not buying it. Sure, there would be some benefits for L'ville; it's crazy to think I'm suggesting no one would show up. I'm just saying the majority of the people attending would show up for the game, then get the hell out of dodge for fear of becoming infected. Well, duh it is within the state of Kentucky :lol: I was just making the point that Nashville is located where a multitude of fans could drive to Nashville for the day and drive home. Many Kentucky fans plan vacations around the SEC tourney. Nashville can at least be viewed as a relatively attractive vacation spot, much like Atlanta and New Orleans. Hell, I like Louisville, but I don't want to vacation there. If I look at it in that light, what are folks from Pikeville and Prestonsburg thinking about the idea of vacationing in Louisville?
April 23, 201016 yr Again, I'm just not buying it. Sure, there would be some benefits for L'ville; it's crazy to think I'm suggesting no one would show up. I'm just saying the majority of the people attending would show up for the game, then get the hell out of dodge for fear of becoming infected. Many Kentucky fans plan vacations around the SEC tourney. Nashville can at least be viewed as a relatively attractive vacation spot, much like Atlanta and New Orleans. Hell, I like Louisville, but I don't want to vacation there. If I look at it in that light, what are folks from Pikeville and Prestonsburg thinking about the idea of vacationing in Louisville? I think UK fans have shown that they will vacation anywhere the Wildcats are playing.
April 23, 201016 yr Does the SEC have a team in Atlanta??? Is Atlanta one of the most centralized large cities in the SEC region???
April 23, 201016 yr I think I understand what Schue is trying to say. :scared: Look at it this way, how many UK fans spend the night at a hotel when the Cats are playing at Rupp? Likewise, when they played games at Freedom Hall? Sure, a lot of people go to those games...but, outside of the game itself, there's probably not a lot of econmomic impact. Yes, you might eat out for 1 meal...but, you're probably not doing a whole lot of shopping and your certainly not spending the night. (And yes, I know there are going to be exceptions...but, it wouldn't come close to what it would be like in Atlanta, or even Nashville). I'm not saying that there won't be people from Paintsville or Paducah that won't see driving to Louisville as just as much of a trip as Nashville. But, when you'd have the tournament in one of your three largest metro areas, and the other two are only an hour to an hour-and-a-half away...there's a very good likelihood that the bulk of your fans will view it just like they do those regular season games. It's simply a matter of logistics. In my mind, it may have very little to do with the "perception" of Louisville as a city. Might be the one thing I'd differ with Schue on in this instance.
April 23, 201016 yr I think I understand what Schue is trying to say. :scared: Look at it this way, how many UK fans spend the night at a hotel when the Cats are playing at Rupp? Likewise, when they played games at Freedom Hall? Sure, a lot of people go to those games...but, outside of the game itself, there's probably not a lot of econmomic impact. Yes, you might eat out for 1 meal...but, you're probably not doing a whole lot of shopping and your certainly not spending the night. (And yes, I know there are going to be exceptions...but, it wouldn't come close to what it would be like in Atlanta, or even Nashville). I'm not saying that there won't be people from Paintsville or Paducah that won't see driving to Louisville as just as much of a trip as Nashville. But, when you'd have the tournament in one of your three largest metro areas, and the other two are only an hour to an hour-and-a-half away...there's a very good likelihood that the bulk of your fans will view it just like they do those regular season games. It's simply a matter of logistics. In my mind, it may have very little to do with the "perception" of Louisville as a city. Might be the one thing I'd differ with Schue on in this instance. But those situations are different as the Cats aren't likely to play again the next day and again the day after that. I live in Owensboro, and normally when I am fortunate enough to get UK basketball tickets we don't stay overnight, but I'm not going home just to turn around and drive back up the next day.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.