Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lance Stephenson to Leave Cincy; Enter Draft

Featured Replies

I wish the young man luck and wanting to take care of his family tells me he is not a me person. I just hate to see good players leave college ball early.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish the young man luck and wanting to take care of his family tells me he is not a me person. I just hate to see good players leave college ball early.

 

Especially the ones that could use an extra year to work on their game. I mean college isn't so bad is it? Imagine being one of UK's frosh this year. Its like you are a celebrity, there's always going to be things to do, always going to be girls, always going to be about anything you want. You get to be around people your own age with a lot of the same interests. You work hard and practice, but you still have plenty of down time to just be able to hang out and enjoy being young. Sure your not getting paid to play, but you are getting your classes and everything else paid for. Plus its not like the guys are having to eat at the student center all day, I mean they get dined at the best restaurants in town. Doesn't sound like something id be kicking and screaming about. But when the money calls, I guess you have to listen. Especially when that has been the intention the entire time. But a lot of these kids I don't think realize that the NBA or pro basketball in general is a job. It's not like you can just go to campus and chase girls all day, or just go hang out with your buds anytime you want. You almost have to eat, sleep, drink basketball. But, I guess that's not so bad either.....

Everything started going in this direction once Lance went back to NYC for spring break, .

 

Wasn't there someone that said that once people get in his ear.....?:D

I think he'll get picked in the 2nd round, but he is really hurting himself by not staying in school and at least giving himself an option. He's not going to be doing his family any favors on a D-League salary.

 

Are you telling me he can't live off of Jodie Meeks money?

There is going to be some more turnover to the roster so things could get close to the danger zone, but they will not take much of a hit because he is leaving school...

 

As long as every player who leaves does so in good academic standing UC can keep their scholarships even if they fall below the .925 mark.

  • Author
Are you telling me he can't live off of Jodie Meeks money?

 

No, I'm telling you he isn't Jodie Meeks, yet.

Not good for Mick either.

No, I'm telling you he isn't Jodie Meeks, yet.

 

Irrelevant. He can still get "paid" if he's a 2nd round pick.

Mick on Lance going pro.

 

“Lance and his family are not uninformed or misguided about his draft status,” Cronin said. “They understand the road that lies ahead for him. His personal circumstances dictate that he try to continue his development in the NBA while he’s getting paid. He’s going to get that opportunity to do it while alleviating the pressure on his family.

 

“His family as well as myself came away with the same research, that his talent is intriguing but his draft status is not particularly high. But that doesn’t mean that couldn’t change. He’s got to work hard at it. That’s one thing he’s not afraid to do.”

 

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2010/04/07/cronin-supports-stephensons-decision/

 

That's about as fair as it gets...

Not good for Mick either.

 

I read an article saying that it may have saved Mick. Now the questions will be "What if..." and Mick will get a little more breathing room.

 

Not sure that I agree with it, but I understand the rationale.

  • Author
Irrelevant. He can still get "paid" if he's a 2nd round pick.

 

Its not irrelevent if he doesn't make the team.

I don't see how 6 more weeks of college would hurt his ability to take care of his family.

 

I was thinking the same thing? It's the least he could do for his school and Coach Cronin, after they supported him when many others looked away?? Weak IMO, but then he was "Born Ready"??

I was thinking the same thing? It's the least he could do for his school and Coach Cronin, after they supported him when many others looked away?? Weak IMO, but then he was "Born Ready"??

UC is on the quarter system and school runs through June 12th. As I stated before, the quarter just started last Monday so Lance can withdraw and exit in good academic standing right now with no additional APR hit. He leaves with a GPA over 3.0 in his 2 quarters on campus and did everything asked of him at UC. But who needs facts when you can have an opinion... :idunno:

UC is on the quarter system and school runs through June 12th. As I stated before, the quarter just started last Monday so Lance can withdraw and exit in good academic standing right now with no additional APR hit. He leaves with a GPA over 3.0 in his 2 quarters on campus and did everything asked of him at UC. But who needs facts when you can have an opinion... :idunno:

 

How does the NCAA view the quarter system? If I understand correctly, a player who leaves before the 2nd semester ends causes his school to get dinged for leaving early. I would think the NCAA would require a player to stay 3 quarters to earn the point. No?

How does the NCAA view the quarter system? If I understand correctly, a player who leaves before the 2nd semester ends causes his school to get dinged for leaving early. I would think the NCAA would require a player to stay 3 quarters to earn the point. No?

As far as I know, no. He is leaving the school in good academic standing and was a student through the completion of the UC season. I can't imagine UC would lose a point for that, but it's the NCAA so who knows...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.