March 17, 201016 yr You can't say "all-time" right now. That list would include Rupp, Wooden, Smith, etc. But to say he isn't "elite" in today's game is dumb. He has five straight thirty win seasons. An no final fours to show. Not to mention in 3 of those 5 seasons half the wins came in a terrible conference USA. I'm not saying he's not a really good coach, I'm really not. I just don't put him as an elite coach until he does what today's other elite coaches have done. That's go to the final for or win one. The list is a mile long of current coaches with 30 win seasons and final fours. How does Cal jump near the front of that list without both?
March 17, 201016 yr Author An no final fours to show. Not to mention in 3 of those 5 seasons half the wins came in a terrible conference USA. I'm not saying he's not a really good coach, I'm really not. I just don't put him as an elite coach until he does what today's other elite coaches have done. That's go to the final for or win one. The list is a mile long of current coaches with 30 win seasons and final fours. How does Cal jump near the front of that list without both? Okay, since this conversation is about that article, can you say he is not the best at what he does? I mean, I'm not talking about last year, or the year before, but this season alone. He has brought so much attention to UK for various reasons, winning being one. But he brings even more attention when he does the Haiti program, and he is consistently bringing in the celebs (Lebron, Tomlin, Big Ben, etc.). Right now, there isn't one coach in America that can touch him in the categories that were talked about in the article.
March 17, 201016 yr Calipari's overall record in the NCAA Tournament is 25-11 (.694). His official record is 21-10 (.677). Other notables and their winning pct. in the NCAA Tournament Ben Howland - .692 Rick Barnes - .528 Jim Boeheim - .618 Jim Calhoun - .703 (official is .705) Tom Crean - .500 Bobby Cremmins - .577 Jamie Dixon - .600 Billy Donovan - .759 Mark Few - .524 Steve Fisher - .714 (official is .700) Bob Huggins - .564 Tom Izzo - .738 Coach K-ski - .763 Rick Majerus - .621 Thad Matta - .632 Mike Montgomery - .552 Bruce Pearl - .538 Rick Pitino - .745 Bill Self - .706 Tubby Smith - .674 Bruce Webber - .588 Gary Williams - .651 Roy Williams - .753 Jay Wright - .611 Others Gene Keady - .514 (official is .514) Bob Knight - .643 Digger Phelps - .500 Adolph Rupp - .625 Dean Smith - .707 Eddie Sutton - .600 (official is .597) John Wooden - .825 Joe B. Hall - .690 Denny Crum - .646
March 17, 201016 yr Author Calipari's overall record in the NCAA Tournament is 25-11 (.694). His official record is 21-10 (.677). Other notables and their winning pct. in the NCAA Tournament Ben Howland - .692 Rick Barnes - .528 Jim Boeheim - .618 Jim Calhoun - .703 (official is .705) Tom Crean - .500 Bobby Cremmins - .577 Jamie Dixon - .600 Billy Donovan - .759 Mark Few - .524 Steve Fisher - .714 (official is .700) Bob Huggins - .564 Tom Izzo - .738 Coach K-ski - .763 Rick Majerus - .621 Thad Matta - .632 Mike Montgomery - .552 Bruce Pearl - .538 Rick Pitino - .745 Bill Self - .706 Tubby Smith - .674 Bruce Webber - .588 Gary Williams - .651 Roy Williams - .753 Jay Wright - .611 Others Gene Keady - .514 (official is .514) Bob Knight - .643 Digger Phelps - .500 Adolph Rupp - .625 Dean Smith - .707 Eddie Sutton - .600 (official is .597) John Wooden - .825 Joe B. Hall - .690 Denny Crum - .646 A few of those stand out to me. 1. Bob Huggins is why I have him getting upset by Missouri, or someone, and not making the Elite 8. 2. I'm surprised Rupp's is that low. 3. I'm surprised Dean Smith's is that high. However, when I think about it, he did make plenty of Final Fours. I wonder what his Final Four winning percentage is... It's .437 in the Final Four. Edited March 17, 201016 yr by SouthernSportsFan Got his percentage.
March 17, 201016 yr A few of those stand out to me. 1. Bob Huggins is why I have him getting upset by Missouri, or someone, and not making the Elite 8. 2. I'm surprised Rupp's is that low. 3. I'm surprised Dean Smith's is that high. However, when I think about it, he did make plenty of Final Fours. I wonder what his Final Four winning percentage is... It's .437 in the Final Four. On Rupp, you have to remember, he never got to pad his record by beating 16 seeds.
March 17, 201016 yr On Rupp, you have to remember, he never got to pad his record by beating 16 seeds. Exactly it was essentialy the Elite 8 for him in round 1 every year.
March 18, 201016 yr I disagree with the quote that "Cal is better at what he does than almost anyone else." . Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl. Is he a better coach than Bud Grant? Marv Levy? I don't buy the "he hasn't won anything so....." line. Steve Fischer won an NCAA title. Better than Cal?
March 18, 201016 yr Exactly it was essentialy the Elite 8 for him in round 1 every year. Hyperbole. The NCAA tourney increased size in the 50's and adopted the format where UK would start in the semi-final round of the Regional (our current Sweet 16). I know that by 1952 UK was playing a game before the Regional Finals. It stayed that format for conference champs until 1975. So that means that Rupp was in this format from 1952 to 1972. Doesn't sound like the majority of his appearances in the NCAA to me. You can check it out here: http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/teams.html
March 18, 201016 yr An no final fours to show. Not to mention in 3 of those 5 seasons half the wins came in a terrible conference USA. I'm not saying he's not a really good coach, I'm really not. I just don't put him as an elite coach until he does what today's other elite coaches have done. That's go to the final for or win one. The list is a mile long of current coaches with 30 win seasons and final fours. How does Cal jump near the front of that list without both? I've been thinking about that criteria you've set and wondered if it means that these coaches are not elite coaches: Ed Diddle @ Western KY University 759 wins Lefty Driesell 786 wins John Chaney 741 wins Ray Meyer @ Depaul did make 2 Final Fours but never played in a title game nor won the tite. He did win 724 games.
March 18, 201016 yr Oh ya, C-USA was regular a 3,4,5 bid league in those days. Everyone said he won in Conf-USA because it was a weak conference-but yet in his first year in the SEC he won the regular season as well as the tounament.
March 18, 201016 yr I've been thinking about that criteria you've set and wondered if it means that these coaches are not elite coaches: Ed Diddle @ Western KY University 759 wins Lefty Driesell 786 wins John Chaney 741 wins Ray Meyer @ Depaul did make 2 Final Fours but never played in a title game nor won the tite. He did win 724 games. I wouldn't put Chaney in the elite category or Driesell. They are really good coaches, but when it comes to who are the elite and best coaches, the line has to be drawn somewhere and unfortunately they just miss the cut. Diddle yes he had a runner up in the NIT in the early 40's which at the time the NIT was much more known than the NCAA. Meyer I would, 2 final fours are enough. I've said in this thread multiple times once Cal has one and keeps on he jumps in that list for me. I'm not asking him to go to the moon, just have one final four that stays in the record books.
March 18, 201016 yr Everyone said he won in Conf-USA because it was a weak conference-but yet in his first year in the SEC he won the regular season as well as the tounament. So because he won the SEC this year, it means C-USA wasn't as weak the last few years? If you go back when Cinci, UL, and Marquette were in C-USA his records weren't nearly as impressive, but I'll also say those were his first few years there too and it takes more time to build Memphis than UK.
March 18, 201016 yr I wouldn't put Chaney in the elite category or Driesell. They are really good coaches, but when it comes to who are the elite and best coaches, the line has to be drawn somewhere and unfortunately they just miss the cut. Diddle yes he had a runner up in the NIT in the early 40's which at the time the NIT was much more known than the NCAA. Meyer I would, 2 final fours are enough. I've said in this thread multiple times once Cal has one and keeps on he jumps in that list for me. I'm not asking him to go to the moon, just have one final four that stays in the record books. Your point is that Cal has had 2 Final Fours vacated. We get it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.