All time Reds 25 man Roster

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to argue with the rest of your choices, as you've got a lot of the same ones that I had. But, one particular choice stuck out in my mind when reading your list...Pokey Reese?!?

I understand you putting him down for defensive purposes, and the fact that he played two positions...but I think Brett Boone and Brandon Phillips both had (have) better fielding percentages, along with a 20 pt. higher batting average.

Good point, however, Pokey Reese in '99 was SPECIAL at 2B. Phillips has been great (gold glove I believe) but Reese got to more balls.

Good point, however, Pokey Reese in '99 was SPECIAL at 2B. Phillips has been great (gold glove I believe) but Reese got to more balls.

Pokey won two gold gloves ("99 & '00), while Phillips has won one ('08) (and probably should have won it the year before too). Looking at the stats for both during those two years, they're both competitive...and I don't think there would be any managers upset if they got "stuck" with either one of them. So, I understand your reasoning behind the pick.

However, if I'm choosing an "All-Time" roster, I'm going on more of a career, rather than just a one or two year highlight. If that wasn't the case, I'd think more people would have someone like Danny Jackson or Reggie Sanders listed here. Just my opinion. Didn't mean to bust your chops over it!

Splitting hairs with most of those starters. Can't go wrong with any of them.

However, for the reserves/Bench Players/ or in the minors at AAA:

(Many of them would never be in the greatest 25 players in Reds History, but if you were putting together a 25 man team. You could use thier abilities in various roles extreamly well off the bench).

Hal Morris -would be a great pinch hitter - almost won the batting title and would be around .350 in the prime of his career.

Gary Redus - Would be a good speed guy off the bench

Dion Sanders - Would also be a speed guy off the bench and could get a bunt down if needed.

Kevin Mitchell - Pinch hitter also with power and hit for a high average

Greg Vaugh - Another good vet with some leadership (not sure how much of that would be needed)

Pitcher......Danny Jackson!!! Would have won the Cy Young Award if it wasn't for Orel Hershiser's 55 scoreless inning streak.