Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Latest on Proposed Compromise

Featured Replies

The other thread seemed to get a bit off-track so I thought I'd start a new one with today's news.

 

From the KY Post:

 

Private schools, in addition to the 20 mile limit, are also putting up 2 separate proposals regarding public school kids who go on to private high schools. One proposal would ban the kid from playing ANY sport his frosh year. The other would ban him from varsity participation.

 

http://news.kypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051011/NEWS02/510110372/1014

  • Replies 69
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

Hat Trick - if the proposal that says all particpation is banned during the first year was in place at the time of your boy going from a public middle school to high school, would you have made a different decision? I realize its hard since you already know how your son has enjoyed his entire high school experience.

I see where NCC says they will vote for Prop #1. I would say that is a pretty good compromise for them, they get to take student-athletes from 20 miles in and Highlands will no longer be able to take any student-athletes from outside of Fort Thomas without having a student sit out a year.

 

Again, if Eastern had a defined area (other than all of Louisville) Prop #1 wouldn't read anything like it does now...

  • Author
I see where NCC says they will vote for Prop #1. I would say that is a pretty good compromise for them, they get to take student-athletes from 20 miles in and Highlands will no longer be able to take any student-athletes from outside of Fort Thomas without having a student sit out a year.

 

Again, if Eastern had a defined area (other than all of Louisville) Prop #1 wouldn't read anything like it does now...

 

 

I would guess CCH/Beechwood would in the same situation. I would be shocked if CCH didn't go with the 20-mile limit.

 

Should CCH go ahead and order your boy's class ring? ;)

Yes, the 20 mile rule would make CovCath the power school in NKY. Everyone else can just hang it up if Prop 1 passes.

 

CCH is a fine school but you better hold off on that class ring.

I think you are assumming Prop 1 will stay in its current wording. The article says it is being altered.

I need to know what if your child is already attending a school out of his district. Does he/she have to sit out the next year of competition or is there a grandfather clause?

Fastbreak brought this up in another thread and I would think he is correct and the language would have to change.

 

Otherwise, Louisville private schools, NKY private schools, and NE KY private schools would be getting much less "territory" than Lexington private schools.

 

From FastbreaK:

 

If the genuine intent is to balance the playing field by making things as fair as possible for everyone, then the restriction of schools geographically situated along the state border to a 20 mile radius of students “within the state” is extremely unfair.

 

A 20 mile radius equals approximately 1,256 square miles. (3.14 x 20 x 20) A school such as Rose Hill Christian in Ashland with a 20 mile “Kentucky-Only” radius would have approximately 565 square miles from which to draw students. This is about 45% of the full 20 mile radius that schools in central parts of the state would have to work with.

 

In Rose Hill’s case, the only ways to maintain equity would be to include areas within Ohio and West Virginia that fall within the 20 mile radius, or, to extend the “Kentucky Only” radius to include 1,256 square miles within Kentucky, which would equal a radius of approximately 30 miles. I don’t think that transporting kids 30 miles to school is a good idea.

I thought this was a poorly written article. The details of the alternatives proposed were not made clear. For example, it says,

 

"Proposal 1, which is still being altered but will be on the Oct. 20 ballot, would forbid transfers to a private school who come from within a 20-mile radius of the school from participating in athletics during their first year."

 

I thought Proposal 1 forbid transfers from outside a 20 mile radius from participating for one year?

 

Another example:

 

"Proposals 4 and 5 similarly deal with eighth-grade public school students who transfer to private schools for ninth grade. One proposal forbids those students from participating in any activities for the first year while the other proposal forbids students from participating in varsity sports."

 

Does that mean transferring students are forbidden from participating in Varsity Sports in just their first year or for their entire high school career?

 

The article mentioned these alternate proposals, but did not explain how the voting process works for what seem like late submissions. Will they be added to the KHSAA's official list of proposals prior to the Oct 20 vote?

The other thread seemed to get a bit off-track so I thought I'd start a new one with today's news.

 

From the KY Post:

 

Private schools, in addition to the 20 mile limit, are also putting up 2 separate proposals regarding public school kids who go on to private high schools. One proposal would ban the kid from playing ANY sport his frosh year. The other would ban him from varsity participation.

 

http://news.kypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051011/NEWS02/510110372/1014

 

 

I find this ridiculous! If I want to send my child to a public school for eight years and then to a private school, that should be my choice. I do not think it is fair that the child should have to sit out a year of sports because they went to a public grade school. Last time I checked, this was a free country, and people had the right to send their child to school where they wanted. These types of rules are limiting our freedoms. I hope this gets voted down!!!

I find this ridiculous! If I want to send my child to a public school for eight years and then to a private school, that should be my choice. I do not think it is fair that the child should have to sit out a year of sports because they went to a public grade school. Last time I checked, this was a free country, and people had the right to send their child to school where they wanted. These types of rules are limiting our freedoms. I hope this gets voted down!!!

Let me start by saying I agree with you. But I know the public school response.

 

 

"They're not telling you want school to go to, but if you choose this route you have to sit out a year."

 

Bogus statement but its been repeated over and over.

Let me start by saying I agree with you. But I know the public school response.

 

 

"They're not telling you want school to go to, but if you choose this route you have to sit out a year."

 

Bogus statement but its been repeated over and over.

 

Sure sounds like discrimination to me. :ylsuper:

Of course it is discriminatory. Shouldn't it at least include private school 8th graders transferring to a public school?

Of course it is discriminatory. Shouldn't it at least include private school 8th graders transferring to a public school?

My thought exactly. I would LOVE to hear someone explain to me why it shouldn't.

Of course it is discriminatory. Shouldn't it at least include private school 8th graders transferring to a public school?

I was wanting an explanation for this also. I can think of a few people right now who this would of affected.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.