January 31, 201016 yr One, that is just one argument. Two, Meeks had another All-SEC performer on his team along with future NBA talent with Patrick Patterson. Downey has no one else. Dominque Archie is hurt so its all on Downey. Meeks had help and Downey makes more of a difference than Meeks did last year. UK fans really do not want to give him credit for what he is doing. He is the front runner for SEC POY plus SEC POY is based on conference statistics and he is averaging over 30 points a game. Ugghh, I hate generalizations. Please stop! There are plenty of UK fans that have no problem saying good things about Downey... Don't lump us all together -- It drives me insane. We cheer for the same team, but we're different people with different opinions and ideas.
January 31, 201016 yr Based on SEC play alone to this point in the season it has to be Downey. I don't think he can keep the pace of scoring 30 every night, so he will lose that edge by the end of the season. Projecting forward to early March, I'll still take Wall when it's said and done...
January 31, 201016 yr Based on SEC play alone to this point in the season it has to be Downey. I don't think he can keep the pace of scoring 30 every night, so he will lose that edge by the end of the season. Projecting forward to early March, I'll still take Wall when it's said and done... I'll definitely be anxious to see if he can keep it up... I wouldn't be surprised to see him win the award. Based on what I've seen so far, I don't know that I could justify giving it to anyone else. I'm glad he's starting to get more attention on a national scale, though it had to come at the expense of UK. I told all the people that I work with that he was going to make UK look silly, and they might as well let him get his and focus on everyone else. They argued me that with his height, they'd have no problem stopping him. Did he shoot 9/29 from the field? Absolutely he did. But that's only 20 points. The other 10 came from the free throw line... How'd he get there? He drew fouls over and over. He did what he had to do to score the points and put his team in a position to ultimately grab the W... Gotta give it up to the kid.
January 31, 201016 yr My vote would go for Cousins. Downey and Wall are good but Cousins has better numbers for the minutes played.
January 31, 201016 yr My vote would go for Cousins. Downey and Wall are good but Cousins has better numbers for the minutes played. So you choose to ignore that his minutes played are so low because he can't stay out of foul trouble? It's an impressive stat, but there is a simple reason behind it...
January 31, 201016 yr It has to be between John Wall and Devan Downey at this point IMO. Cousins' numbers are impressive, and I do think he's the best player in the SEC, but I don't think he's the Player of the Year in the conference.
January 31, 201016 yr It has to be between John Wall and Devan Downey at this point IMO. Cousins' numbers are impressive, and I do think he's the best player in the SEC, but I don't think he's the Player of the Year in the conference. If his "production per minute" were closer to his actual production he'd win the award running away...
January 31, 201016 yr If his "production per minute" were closer to his actual production he'd win the award running away... I agree, I didn't if what I had typed would make any sense, thanks for getting it GT
January 31, 201016 yr Downey for SEC POY, John Wall for NCAA POY. Has anyone ever won the National POY without winning the Conference POY?
January 31, 201016 yr Downey for SEC POY, John Wall for NCAA POY. Has anyone ever won the National POY without winning the Conference POY? Juan Dixon was ACC Player of the Year in the year that Jay Williams won it for Duke.
January 31, 201016 yr Downey for SEC POY, John Wall for NCAA POY. Has anyone ever won the National POY without winning the Conference POY? 2002 Juan Dixon won ACC POY and Jason Williams was National POY.
January 31, 201016 yr Juan Dixon was ACC Player of the Year in the year that Jay Williams won it for Duke. Darn you.
January 31, 201016 yr Darn you. Snow means I have nothing to do except BGP... And when I do something, I try to do it well... And faster than anyone else. :lol:
January 31, 201016 yr Downey for SEC POY, John Wall for NCAA POY. Has anyone ever won the National POY without winning the Conference POY? That's actually my prediction as well. :thumb:
February 1, 201016 yr I know Wall was annointed at the beginning of the year as National POY and SEC POY. Can we now say that Cousins is in the lead for SEC POY? 3 person race between him , Downey, and Wall? How can this happen if Cousin's doesn't even get voted SEC Freshman of the week. In the words of an old friend of mind pitiful, pitiful, pitiful. Arkansas Marshawn Powell avgs. 14 PTS, 7.5 REB and wins SEC Freshman of the Week; Cousins avgs. 24 and 11 and doesn't?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.