Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baseball Player To Enter Priesthood

Featured Replies

  • Replies 46
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We tend to look at sports talent as a "God-given ability." In a way, isn't it squandering that "God-given ability" by foresaking it at such a young age? If God really wanted him to be a man of the cloth, wouldn't it make more sense for God to steer him toward liturgical concerns before the kid invested several years of his life pursuing what he thought was his "calling," based on talent that God instilled in him? Why would God give him that natural ability if He didn't want him to use it?

I wish him well.

 

As for the "haters" you mentioned, I would group them in with the majority of other radio talk show hosts. If you're not controversial, or dealing with a controversial subject, you're not likely to keep an audience. There'd be very little interest in hearing caller after caller say "I agree with you". So, they try to create conflict. Often when disecting a game, it'll be more about what one team did wrong (to lose) than what the other team did right (to win). For example, the Saints didn't win on Sunday...the Vikings lost it.

Why question the timing of this man's calling to serve God? Let God's will be done.

 

"Last year before the season I really had a strong feeling of a calling and real strong desire to follow it," Desme said. "I just fought it. As an excuse I went into this year as a test, to see, just hoping and praying about it. As the year went on, God blessed me, and I had a better year than I could have imagined, but that reconfirmed my desire because I wasn't at peace with where I was at." ...

 

"I was interested to see how I'd react, knowing that when I was done with the call, I'd be done with baseball for the rest of my life, and I experienced a great amount of peace," Desme said. "It reconfirmed my decision." ...

 

Desme said the injuries "were the biggest blessing God has ever given me. Baseball has always been my life, defined me... When baseball was taken away from me, it was a shock. I did some soul-searching of who I was and who I wanted to be, and this is where it's led me."

 

It appears that this decision has been well thought out and that he is a peace with his choice.

  • Author
We tend to look at sports talent as a "God-given ability." In a way, isn't it squandering that "God-given ability" by foresaking it at such a young age? If God really wanted him to be a man of the cloth, wouldn't it make more sense for God to steer him toward liturgical concerns before the kid invested several years of his life pursuing what he thought was his "calling," based on talent that God instilled in him? Why would God give him that natural ability if He didn't want him to use it?

 

I think many of us have God-given abilities. We make choices. Is it the right choice? Maybe. I may have a unique talent in playing the violin. Does that mean I have to be a violinist? This kid has multiple abilities and talents. Why should his baseball talent take priority over his perceived ability to be a priest and have a daily impact on many lives?

We tend to look at sports talent as a "God-given ability." In a way, isn't it squandering that "God-given ability" by foresaking it at such a young age? If God really wanted him to be a man of the cloth, wouldn't it make more sense for God to steer him toward liturgical concerns before the kid invested several years of his life pursuing what he thought was his "calling," based on talent that God instilled in him? Why would God give him that natural ability if He didn't want him to use it?

 

I wasn't aware that the ability to play baseball was one of the "spiritual gifts" given to us by God. I have known numerous preachers who were outstanding athletes. I don't think a calling into the priesthood/clergy and also having athletic abilities must be viewed as being in conflict with each other or mutually exclusive of one another. And it often takes persons a while to understand/follow God's plan for our lives. From my read, it appears this young man has handled this very well.

I wasn't aware that the ability to play baseball was one of the "spiritual gifts" given to us by God. I have known numerous preachers who were outstanding athletes. I don't think a calling into the priesthood/clergy and also having athletic abilities must be viewed as being in conflict with each other or mutually exclusive of one another. And it often takes persons a while to understand/follow God's plan for our lives. From my read, it appears this young man has handled this very well.

 

You've never heard of anyone use the phrase "God-given ability/talent?" :confused:

He should follow his dream if that is what he wants but why not play for a while make some money and donate it to the church somehow. Seems like that would be a lot of help for some church.

He should follow his dream if that is what he wants but why not play for a while make some money and donate it to the church somehow. Seems like that would be a lot of help for some church.

 

It would appear as though he's less interested in following "his" dream and instead following God's will for him. Tough - but absolutely selfless -decision.

Would this even be a story if he were retiring from baseball to become a financial advisor or an IT specialist? Me thinks not...

Funny conundrum...we shout from the rooftops that we are a "Christian" nation, that we are founded on "Christian" principles and values, then get all upset when a man walks away from the "game" and the "money" to pursue the ultimate Christian calling. :ohbrother:

^I don't see anyone getting upset....I personally think it's a dumb decision, but certainly am not upset by it. :idunno:

^I don't see anyone getting upset....I personally think it's a dumb decision, but certainly am not upset by it. :idunno:

 

 

What is dumb about it?

What is dumb about it?

 

Assumedly the thing he is best at his playing baseball. To me, it makes little to no sense to walk away from something you have a distinct advantage or knack for, to do something that in all likelihood you won't be as good or successful at.

 

I liken it to me quiting being an accountant, and deciding I want to be a teacher. While it may be viewed as a more noble profession, it's one I almost assuredly wouldn't be as good at.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.