Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UC 71 UCONN 69

Featured Replies

Again. He was "out of control" because he was hammered on the arm by Dyson reaching in. Then contacted on the shooting arm by Edwards on the way up before getting blocked cleanly up top. If the whistle is swallowed, it is no different than making the correct call. Either way the ref decides the game...

 

He was out of control around the same time Dyson fouled him. Stephenson is strong enough to where Dyson's foul didn't make him spiral out of control. Born Ready had the ball & everybody knew he was taking the shot. I agree that the call should've been made, though.

 

 

3. The ref clearly blew his whistle on the Edwards foul. The female announcer kept going on about when the ref's arm went up but you have to listen for the whistle.

 

4. As to missing the second free throw, I believe U Conn still had a time out left. If you miss, they call the TO and it is no different than making it except you are only up by one. I say make the free throw. Force a three to beat you and if they get a 2, it is OT.

 

I agree about the foul and the announcer. The arm is slower than the whistle.

 

As to #4: There were .7 seconds left. Do you honestly believe that, with .7 seconds, you can rebound the ball, call a timeout and still have enough time on the clock to get a decent shot off? Highly doubtful. On top of that, the clockkeeper has to start the clock AND stop it all under .4 seconds when the home team is beating a nationally ranked team?

  • Replies 58
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As to #4: There were .7 seconds left. Do you honestly believe that, with .7 seconds, you can rebound the ball, call a timeout and still have enough time on the clock to get a decent shot off? Highly doubtful. On top of that, the clockkeeper has to start the clock AND stop it all under .4 seconds when the home team is beating a nationally ranked team?

 

Start calling time out before the ball hits your hands? I think you have a legitimate point. It would take a heads up play. What if it is a bad bounce rebound and U Conn let's the ball bounce out of bounds without touching it? I can see both sides of this one. If the player calls TO as soon as he gets the rebound though, it isn't much different than the play if the free throw is made. If U Conn had no time outs, I miss. With them having a timeout, I take more points.

Mick was screaming his head off for Lance to miss the 2nd but the Shoe was loud and Lance was in the zone so he didn't hear it. Go back and watch it if you have it saved. Mick is as far out as he is allowed to go and yelling as loud as a leprechaun can yell trying to get his attention... :lol:

 

I was wondering why Dixon (or whoever it was) was yelling behind Stephenson as he was shooting that 2nd free throw.

Start calling time out before the ball hits your hands? I think you have a legitimate point. It would take a heads up play. What if it is a bad bounce rebound and U Conn let's the ball bounce out of bounds without touching it? I can see both sides of this one. If the player calls TO as soon as he gets the rebound though, it isn't much different than the play if the free throw is made. If U Conn had no time outs, I miss. With them having a timeout, I take more points.

 

Even with the timeout, the best play is to miss the free throw. With .7 seconds on the clock, it's impossible to call a TO and have enough time left to get off a good look.

 

FWIW, I hate missing free throws on purpose. But this was an instance that it would've been appropriate. Put some extra arc on the ball and see what happens. Don't throw a line drive at the rim, or else your hypothetical about the ball rolling out of bounds is more likely to come true.

W/ about a minute left did the UConn player dribble or have posession? I never saw a review at the game. They ended up giving UC the ball at half court w/ 1 second on the shot clock after a lengthy review. They ran a great play but Gates didn't finish.

Even with the timeout, the best play is to miss the free throw. With .7 seconds on the clock, it's impossible to call a TO and have enough time left to get off a good look.

 

FWIW, I hate missing free throws on purpose. But this was an instance that it would've been appropriate. Put some extra arc on the ball and see what happens. Don't throw a line drive at the rim, or else your hypothetical about the ball rolling out of bounds is more likely to come true.

 

Agree, you never make it in that situation. To grab a rebound while calling TO still takes time off the clock. That was a no brainer. According to some Cronin even was telling him to miss. My biggest concern is they had forever to tell him to miss the 2nd one in the TO and he should actually know that anyway.

Agree, you never make it in that situation. To grab a rebound while calling TO still takes time off the clock. That was a no brainer. According to some Cronin even was telling him to miss. My biggest concern is they had forever to tell him to miss the 2nd one in the TO and he should actually know that anyway.

 

As a player, there's no way I'd miss a free throw on my own.

W/ about a minute left did the UConn player dribble or have posession? I never saw a review at the game. They ended up giving UC the ball at half court w/ 1 second on the shot clock after a lengthy review. They ran a great play but Gates didn't finish.

 

Possession never changed. Good call...

Agree, you never make it in that situation. To grab a rebound while calling TO still takes time off the clock. That was a no brainer. According to some Cronin even was telling him to miss. My biggest concern is they had forever to tell him to miss the 2nd one in the TO and he should actually know that anyway.

 

As a coach I don't even mention it in the huddle before the 1st FT is attempted. Keep his mind on making the 1st...

W/ about a minute left did the UConn player dribble or have posession? I never saw a review at the game. They ended up giving UC the ball at half court w/ 1 second on the shot clock after a lengthy review. They ran a great play but Gates didn't finish.

 

They ruled that UConn never gained possession therefore allowing the shot clock to run down. They are saying UC got control and called TO with 1 second on the shot clock. Is that what you are asking?

He was out of control around the same time Dyson fouled him. Stephenson is strong enough to where Dyson's foul didn't make him spiral out of control. Born Ready had the ball & everybody knew he was taking the shot. I agree that the call should've been made, though.

 

Spiral out of control? :lol:

 

Dyson hit him on the elbow and caused him to lose control of the ball. That was why he was off balance in the first place...

Possession never changed. Good call...

 

Thanks

 

They ruled that UConn never gained possession therefore allowing the shot clock to run down. They are saying UC got control and called TO with 1 second on the shot clock. Is that what you are asking?

 

Yes essentially. I knew what they called I was just asking if people thought they got the call right.

As a coach I don't even mention it in the huddle before the 1st FT is attempted. Keep his mind on making the 1st...

 

I understand that train of thought, but these aren't grade schoolers. As a high school player we knew what our coaches wanted to do in every situation under a minute...ie...foul up three, when to make and miss ft's, who to foul, what out of bounds plays to run and w/ what amount of time left. All of this was just in case he couldn't call a TO to remind everyone.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.