Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Interesting Basketball Rule

Featured Replies

Team A gets fouled. Refs have team A take the ball out of bounds and they score a basket. Right as the ball goes through the net the horn sounds and the desk says "oops, it should have been 1-and-1 for Team A."

 

Now what?

  • Replies 56
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that is a correctable error since Team has not inbounded the ball.

  • Author
I believe that is a correctable error since Team has not inbounded the ball.

 

Now what?

Team A gets fouled. Refs have team A take the ball out of bounds and they score a basket. Right as the ball goes through the net the horn sounds and the desk says "oops, it should have been 1-and-1 for Team A."

 

Now what?

 

I actually think it is not correctable, that Team A gets their two points and Team B would simply inbounds after the basket. If it was known before the basket was scored by Team A, it would be correctable and Team A gets to shoot free throws.

 

I assume the reason this would be interesting is because Team A has an advantage of trying to score then getting the horn blown to then shoot the free throws. I also think that by rule once the ball is put into play, the horn should not be sounded by the official scorekeeper to alert the officials of the error until a dead ball. So, in reality, hitting the horn when the ball goes through the net is an error by the scorekeeper.

 

Note: I am taking an educated guess at this, but by no means am I positive I am right.

Team A gets fouled. Refs have team A take the ball out of bounds and they score a basket. Right as the ball goes through the net the horn sounds and the desk says "oops, it should have been 1-and-1 for Team A."

 

Now what?

 

That's an easy one! :thumb:

I actually think it is not correctable, that Team A gets their two points and Team B would simply inbounds after the basket. If it was known before the basket was scored by Team A, it would be correctable and Team A gets to shoot free throws.

 

I assume the reason this would be interesting is because Team A has an advantage of trying to score then getting the horn blown to then shoot the free throws. I also think that by rule once the ball is put into play, the horn should not be sounded by the official scorekeeper to alert the officials of the error until a dead ball. So, in reality, hitting the horn when the ball goes through the net is an error by the scorekeeper.

 

Note: I am taking an educated guess at this, but by no means am I positive I am right.

 

 

I believe you are correct, but I'm interested to hear the "Final Answer"

I also think that by rule once the ball is put into play, the horn should not be sounded by the official scorekeeper to alert the officials of the error until a dead ball. So, in reality, hitting the horn when the ball goes through the net is an error by the scorekeeper.

 

.

 

Well that would make no sense. According to your reasoning, you could have picked up a foul that was your fifth but no one at the scorer's table caught it till the ball was put into play after the free throws.

 

At that point, play could go on for another 3-5 minutes and you score 6-8 points while those at the scorer's table sit quietly, knowing the mistake and let all that occur.

 

I don't think that would be the case.

  • Author

Final answer.

 

Team A keeps the two points scored on the basket.

 

The play is correctable.

 

Team A gets their 1 and 1 with the lane cleared.

 

Team B then gets the ball.

 

The play is correctable when its discovered during the dead ball (basket made). All action prior to discovery counts.

 

What it doesn't say in the rulebook is at this point plan on a)being very patient with the coach of B who doesn't know the rule and b)more than likely the next whistle will be for a technical on Team B.

Final answer.

 

Team A keeps the two points scored on the basket.

 

The play is correctable.

 

Team A gets their 1 and 1 with the lane cleared.

 

Team B then gets the ball.

 

The play is correctable when its discovered during the dead ball (basket made). All action prior to discovery counts.

 

What it doesn't say in the rulebook is at this point plan on a)being very patient with the coach of B who doesn't know the rule and b)more than likely the next whistle will be for a technical on Team B.

 

So Team A gets two chances to score?

So Team A gets two chances to score?

 

Exactly!

Well that would make no sense. According to your reasoning, you could have picked up a foul that was your fifth but no one at the scorer's table caught it till the ball was put into play after the free throws.

 

At that point, play could go on for another 3-5 minutes and you score 6-8 points while those at the scorer's table sit quietly, knowing the mistake and let all that occur.

 

I don't think that would be the case.

 

Official scorekeepers are told to stand if there is a problem, while the ball is in play. The "horn" is only supposed to be used during dead ball.

Official scorekeepers are told to stand if there is a problem, while the ball is in play. The "horn" is only supposed to be used during dead ball.

 

Not usually the case. They are told to stand at the end of games if there is a problem. The horn has to be used in the case of correctable errors. If not, then the window for correcting the situation may pass.

Edited by atm10
spelling

Not usually the case. They are told to stand at the end of games if there is a problem. The horn has to be used in the case of correctable errors. If not, then the window for correcting the situation may pass.

 

I'm only stating what officials have told me as an official scorekeeper.

  • Author
So Team A gets two chances to score?

 

By rule, yes.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.