Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bengals playoff chances

Now that the Bengals are 2-1, rate their chances of making the NFL playoffs. 69 members have voted

  1. 1. Now that the Bengals are 2-1, rate their chances of making the NFL playoffs.

    • Dream on. No way
      4%
    • Hard to imagine, but possible.
      23%
    • 50-50 chance.
      47%
    • More than likely now.
      10%
    • I'm a believer.
      14%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

  • Replies 38
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See post #9
I'm not speculating on a) Whether the Jets have the playoffs clinched or b)If they'd even rest their starters saying they have clinched it. Though, I would say that they don't rest their starters.

I am a fan that attends just about every game with season tickets, but with the poor offensive play calling I dont see them doing to much. I am sorry but when you run almost every first down you become predictable, and when Carson wont throw the ball more than 20 yards with explosive recievers, its just not good. Also why not use the jumpball with Chris Henry?:confused: I have seen his capability, he has good hands and have seen him play basketball and the guy has ups, but first we have to throw him the ball to see anything like that.

I'm not speculating on a) Whether the Jets have the playoffs clinched or b)If they'd even rest their starters saying they have clinched it. Though, I would say that they don't rest their starters.

 

A lot of teams take the last week of the season off if they have clinched. Not something we should expect, but something that we can pull for.

I am a fan that attends just about every game with season tickets, but with the poor offensive play calling I dont see them doing to much. I am sorry but when you run almost every first down you become predictable, and when Carson wont throw the ball more than 20 yards with explosive recievers, its just not good. Also why not use the jumpball with Chris Henry?:confused: I have seen his capability, he has good hands and have seen him play basketball and the guy has ups, but first we have to throw him the ball to see anything like that.

 

Henry has found himself fourth on the depth chart. I am ok with what Coles and Caldwell bring to the table. Coles had a huge block on the 23 yard TD run by Benson... something we haven't seen from the Bengals in awhile.. receivers blocking. The play calling was certainly questionable at times, but we also did have a few incomplete passes on first down which puts us in a really bad spot. We can't abandon the run like I see a lot of NFL teams do.

Henry has found himself fourth on the depth chart. I am ok with what Coles and Caldwell bring to the table. Coles had a huge block on the 23 yard TD run by Benson... something we haven't seen from the Bengals in awhile.. receivers blocking. The play calling was certainly questionable at times, but we also did have a few incomplete passes on first down which puts us in a really bad spot. We can't abandon the run like I see a lot of NFL teams do.

 

Agree on all points. A couple things to add, Henry has been battling a quad injury, and why would they not give their best offensive player the ball a lot? Benson has been one of, if not the biggest reason this team is sitting 2-1 and not 1-2 or 0-3.

I'm liking their chances to reach the playoffs. A great chance? Probably not. But decent. A strong defense - which they have - can take you places. I don't know that they have a lot of depth in certain spots though, and a couple of untimely injuries could really affect them. But that's probably true of just about any team.

 

I was not a big fan of the Bengals picking up Benson last year, but have to admit he's done a very nice job. If he'd have put in the same effort now a few years ago, he'd likely still be with Chicago. Can't say, however, that I've been overwhelmed with what Coles has brought to the table so far. Pretty pedestrian if you ask me.

I voted 50/50 but I'm leaning toward yes they will make it. As stupid as it may sound I think this Sunday will tell us something about the team, they just beat 2 good teams and now have a game they should win easily. However, it is a division and rivalry game and I think we need to see the Bengals come out and handle the terrible Browns.

I'm not sure what I think. I like the defense and I think it will get better. The offense seems to run hot and cold...it can look good at times and then really bad. Same with Carson...good and bad.

 

Two keys...1) the offensive line and 2) Carson Palmer. If the line can continue to improve and develop into a solid unit that can protect the QB and give Benson some running room, then this offense has a chance to be really good. If #1 happens, then Carson has to get better. I think he's rusty and still finding his way back after the injury and some tough years. If he can return to his "franchise" form, look out. I think the Bengals are in great shape at the skill positions.

 

They need to keep finding ways to win games while Carson shakes off the rust and the o-line matures. If they can stay in good position, they have a chance to be a very, very strong team by season's end, IMO. It may not happen, but I think people who have paid attention to what Cincy has been doing over the last couple of years realized that they were putting together a solid roster and getting some pieces in place. I still thought they were a year away, but sometimes these things come together faster than you expect.

 

I'd go 50/50 at this point, because I believe Carson will get better, but I'm still a little skeptical about the Bengals up front.

 

I don't like Bob Bratkowski. However he brought up a very good point about him in story I read yesterday. He said with how the Bengals try to start off the game by being dedicated to running, and maybe running the first two plays of each series. It makes it hard for Palmer to really get in a rhythm when he does pass. That is why thought when we get in the two minute offense, he looks so much better because they are passing more so he gets in a rhythm. Then he said if you think back to 05 and 06 when Palmer was at his best, that was when the team was running the no huddle a lot. So there was a lot more spreading it out and passing. So once again it was much easier to get in a rhythm.

 

With that being said though, and Bob Bratkowski knowing this. You would think that then he might try to start off the game by spreading it out and hitting some quick passes to get Palmer in rhythm early. Then try to start running the ball some, and then on third down and hopefully short. You can do play action and Palmer would be already in rhythm. I mean that only makes to much sense, so hopefully the Brat realizes this and can figure this one out.

First thing I would mention is that the following is not making excuses for last weeks game because the Bengals made an amazing comeback, and deserved it. This post is only for the future. I have seen no evidence that Palmer can hit a reciever beyond 15 yards after his injury. I realize that Pitt was playing much softer without Polamalu, but it is a concern. If he can prove that he is dangerous to throw the long ball, they are a serious contender to make the playoffs. Without that threat they have no prayer. For all those that say they should of been 3 and 0, yes Denver stole one. But they stole one from Pitt, just as well. It's not a knock, they deserved it, but so did Denver. Thus is the life of the NFL.

First thing I would mention is that the following is not making excuses for last weeks game because the Bengals made an amazing comeback, and deserved it. This post is only for the future. I have seen no evidence that Palmer can hit a reciever beyond 15 yards after his injury. I realize that Pitt was playing much softer without Polamalu, but it is a concern. If he can prove that he is dangerous to throw the long ball, they are a serious contender to make the playoffs. Without that threat they have no prayer. For all those that say they should of been 3 and 0, yes Denver stole one. But they stole one from Pitt, just as well. It's not a knock, they deserved it, but so did Denver. Thus is the life of the NFL.

 

One difference is that the Bengals lost on a fluke player that you never see happen. The Bengals didn't win on a fluke play, they drove the ball 70 yards down field and scored.

 

Now for Palmer he and Chad Johnson have connected for I believe 5 pass plays over 20 yards already. Maybe you should change that 15 to 25 yards. Also the main thing is that we just really haven't taken many shots down field. Maybe there really hasn't been anyone open. However the few times he has he has been right on. Against I think Green Bay he took a shot to Henry down field and it was a good throw, but Al Harris had good coverage. Then against Pittsburgh on the last drive, he throw a long one to Chad into the end zone, and it was good throw and the defender just made a play. You have to realize it takes two players to make a long pass be complete, and also you have a defensive guy trying to stop it. Teams still play their safeties deep against the Bengals, because they are afraid of the long ball. That is why you don't see the quick strikes, its just taking what they give them. Now if we played Henry more, we might see him go down field more though.

One difference is that the Bengals lost on a fluke player that you never see happen. The Bengals didn't win on a fluke play, they drove the ball 70 yards down field and scored.Now for Palmer he and Chad Johnson have connected for I believe 5 pass plays over 20 yards already. Maybe you should change that 15 to 25 yards. Also the main thing is that we just really haven't taken many shots down field. Maybe there really hasn't been anyone open. However the few times he has he has been right on. Against I think Green Bay he took a shot to Henry down field and it was a good throw, but Al Harris had good coverage. Then against Pittsburgh on the last drive, he throw a long one to Chad into the end zone, and it was good throw and the defender just made a play. You have to realize it takes two players to make a long pass be complete, and also you have a defensive guy trying to stop it. Teams still play their safeties deep against the Bengals, because they are afraid of the long ball. That is why you don't see the quick strikes, its just taking what they give them. Now if we played Henry more, we might see him go down field more though.

 

:thumb: Touche! Good point. I knew that Pitt was playing off more than usual without Troy, but I didn't realize that was the case in the other games as well. I didn't watch the other games as closely, and have likely based my insights too much on the last game.

First thing I would mention is that the following is not making excuses for last weeks game because the Bengals made an amazing comeback, and deserved it. This post is only for the future. I have seen no evidence that Palmer can hit a reciever beyond 15 yards after his injury. I realize that Pitt was playing much softer without Polamalu, but it is a concern. If he can prove that he is dangerous to throw the long ball, they are a serious contender to make the playoffs. Without that threat they have no prayer. For all those that say they should of been 3 and 0, yes Denver stole one. But they stole one from Pitt, just as well. It's not a knock, they deserved it, but so did Denver. Thus is the life of the NFL.

 

I completely disagree with this statement. The Bengals should have won that games in many more ways than the last play to Stokley but that's beside the point. Denver in no way deserved to win that game on that type of play. If they drove like Carson did on the TD drive to Caldwell, then yes they deserved it. That pass was so unluckily deflected. Denver got completely lucky. The Bengals earned their victory.

I completely disagree with this statement. The Bengals should have won that games in many more ways than the last play to Stokley but that's beside the point. Denver in no way deserved to win that game on that type of play. If they drove like Carson did on the TD drive to Caldwell, then yes they deserved it. That pass was so unluckily deflected. Denver got completely lucky. The Bengals earned their victory.

 

It doesn't matter, a win is a win and a loss is a loss. I don't think the Bengals win with Sweed catching that pass he dropped, but it happened and we lost.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.