Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Somerset Interim Coach Robbie Lucas

Featured Replies

Time to take the interim tag in front of Coach Lucas' name off. Way to go all of the coaches and a fine job by Coach Sloan calling the plays!

 

I couldn't agree more. Coach Lucas is doing a fine job with the team, the boys are playing loose and playing well. 5 weeks ago when Coach Cobb was still here everyone was predicting for Somerset to lose to Knox, Pulaski and Danville. Then after losing Coach everyone was sure we would lose those games and most would have been very happy to have been 2-2 at this point in the season. I'm not saying that Coach Lucas has done a better job than Coach Cobb would have, everyone around SHS Football has thought for a couple of years that this could be a really really good year for the Jumpers.

 

What I am saying is that Coach Lucas took the job 4 days before the only scrimmage and 11 days before game 1. He took the job when a lot of outsiders thought this would be a lost season because of the upheaval right before the season. What Coach Lucas has done is keep these boys together, playing hard and playing for each other.

 

If you play out the eventual conclusion of the season, barring a MAJOR breakdown, this will be an extremely nice season for Somerset football. If the rest of the season goes as the first four games have, Coach Lucas not being offered the job would be a travesty!!!

 

As the teams shirts say "WE ARE UNITED"!!! Coach deserves a lot of the credit even though he would never accept it.

Coach Lucas, his staff and the players have all done an outstanding job. Its been even more impressive given the circumstances and the early season schedule. I would have to think that the only thing preventing Coach Lucas being named the head coach would be the formality of having to post the job and conduct interviews. Isn't it required legally for the school to do so?

If they don't take the interim off the title, they are making a big mistake. He has more than proven he was the right man to take over for the Jumpers. What a great story in Somerset this has turned out to be. While I am not a Somerset fan, ... I have to quote I remember hearing from the PA announcer at Somerset games,

 

"How about them JUMPERS"

Coach Lucas, his staff and the players have all done an outstanding job. Its been even more impressive given the circumstances and the early season schedule. I would have to think that the only thing preventing Coach Lucas being named the head coach would be the formality of having to post the job and conduct interviews. Isn't it required legally for the school to do so?

 

I don't know if they have to in their current situation. A promotion from within was necessary due to the season was ready to start when Cobb stepped down. I hope they make Lucas the permanent head coach. What a tremendous job he has done in what could have been a bad situation.

Cobb being gone is one of the best things that could have happened to Somerset football. Cole made him look like a better coach than he is. Congrats to the team for sticking together. I think this team can go far this year!

Wow, I can not believe the disrespect that is being shown to a classy coach in Cobb! Congrats to Lucas I hope he realizes that he is winning with a team that owes alot to Cobb.

  • Author

I'm not disrespecting Coach Cobb. Coach Cobb came out and spoke to about 50 parents the night he resigned. There are no hard feelings from the parents or players towards Coach Cobb. Coach is still at school and available to any of the boys if they have any issues, they know they can go to him. Jay Cobb has done a lot for Somerset Football the last 10 years and we appreciate it.

 

This thread was started to support Robbie Lucas being named permanent coach at Somerset.

Wow, I can not believe the disrespect that is being shown to a classy coach in Cobb! Congrats to Lucas I hope he realizes that he is winning with a team that owes alot to Cobb.

 

I don't think you have to worry about that. Here's a quote from Coach Lucas after he was hired:

 

“Somerset High School is a great program and it has a great tradition, and I just want to keep it going,” Lucas said. “Any coach that’s worth his salt wants to be a head coach, and I’m very grateful for this opportunity. However, I will say that anything we accomplish this season will be a credit to the kids and to coach (Jay) Cobb. He did an outstanding job in his 11 or 12 years here maintaining and building the tradition at Somerset High School, and I just want to keep it going.”

 

He also had this to say after Somerset upset Pulaski County:

 

“People just failed to understand that we have a lot of stability in this program,” said Lucas. “They saw that Coach Cobb left, but they didn’t see how he left the team in such good shape. We’re still running the same system, so the continuity and the familiarity is there for the players. Plus we return 10 starters from last season, we had a great off-season in the weight room, and we’ve renewed our dedication to playing physical football. So if you want to know what the biggest difference is from last year, it’s that these kids have another year of experience and maturity inside a good system.”

 

 

I think you can see he actually goes out of his way to give the credit to his players, his assistant coaches and the job that Coach Cobb did building the program. While all that is true it is also true that Coach Lucas has done a heck of a job himself.

From the outside looking in, he's got the Jumpers clicking on all cylinders. I say let the man have the job!!!!!

 

 

I always liked Somerset's Mascot, by the way.

If Coach Lucas does not get the job he deserves I fear a mutiny might ensue. Do the right thing Administration and give him what he has already earned!!!

  • Author

Jumpers 5-0,

We want Robbie!

We want Robbie!

We want Robbie!

We want Robbie!

Wow, I can not believe the disrespect that is being shown to a classy coach in Cobb! Congrats to Lucas I hope he realizes that he is winning with a team that owes alot to Cobb.

 

I am sorry to tell you this but no Coach or Player owes anything to Coach Cobb. Correct me if I'm wrong but Coach Cobb walked out on these kids days before the season started. Coach Cobb quit on those kids and that community and that isn't right. Coach Cobb walked out on his kids and his coaching staff. All the credit goes to the kids and their coach's! You don't walk out on kids and a community and expect them to owe a former Coach who quit the program.

 

Congrats to the kids and the Coaching staff at Somerset! They owe it to their selves and not a former Coach who walked out on them.

  • Author
I am sorry to tell you this but no Coach or Player owes anything to Coach Cobb. Correct me if I'm wrong but Coach Cobb walked out on these kids days before the season started. Coach Cobb quit on those kids and that community and that isn't right. Coach Cobb walked out on his kids and his coaching staff. All the credit goes to the kids and their coach's! You don't walk out on kids and a community and expect them to owe a former Coach who quit the program.

 

Congrats to the kids and the Coaching staff at Somerset! They owe it to their selves and not a former Coach who walked out on them.

 

As an outsider I see how you could think that. But, Coach Cobb has the support of the players and parents of the football team. Coach Cobb has in fact helped the team in several ways since stepping down as head coach. He didn't walk out or go anywhere, he is still at the school and sees these boys every day.

I agree these kids and these coaches deserve the credit for what they are doing. But if we (the football team, players and parents) aren't upset with Coach Cobb then everyone else should just stop bashing him. This thread is about getting Robbie Lucas named Permanent Head Coach. If any of you want to bash Coach Cobb then start a thread.

I don't want to BASH Coach Cobb and I know it sounds that way. He had a good run there but that team and that community don't owe him anything. The fact is that he walked out and left those kids. I am one that believes high school sports are about the kids! A Coach owes it to his kids to be there no matter what the circumstances. If a Coach truely loves his kids then he will Coach them through the thick and thin. Coach Cobb no matter what the reason should not have left his kids when he did. He left them high and dry.

 

I agree with you that Coach Lucas should be the head coach. All I am saying is that no one owes anything to Coach Cobb. He walked out on a group a kids and coaches that are doing without him.

I don't think that Cobb would ever have left if he hadn't known the program would be in good hands with Lucas. If he had done it earlier, Lucas might not have been appointed interim. Just my thoughts.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.