Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Owen County 2009/2010

Featured Replies

What does Owen County need to do to improve in 2009/2010? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lady Rebs are going to be GOOD, and this "A-team" may roar loudly before it's all over. They must be taken very seriously in the 8th region this year.

I think opponents have pretty much taken Owen County's girls seriously for some time...the Lady Rebs have been strong competitors in the 8th for years.

 

I was impressed by the Lady Rebels' tenacity in 2008-9 as they won 19 games and the 31st district championship. This despite the fact they had only three seniors - none of whom started at the end of the year - and only one player over 5'8" (5'10" center Samantha Toole).

 

Junior Samantha Toole and 5'7" senior Eko Kemper are rebounding machines, and the Lady Rebs got very balanced scoring from their starters last year, with freshman Rianna Gayheart leading their attack at 16.8 ppg. This year, as a sophomore, Gayheart should be even more deadly, as her shot selection will undoubtedly improve, bringing up her FG %, which was just 27% last year.

 

Actually, with all five starters returning, shooting should go up across the board - Owen shot just 33.3% from the field last year overall...

 

Free throw shooting needs to come up; Gayheart and Wainscott are the only two players returning who shot better than 58% at the line last year. (Fortunately, Gayheart shoots A LOT of free throws; she hit 72.2% at the line last year while taking nearly 3x as many free throws as anyone else on the team).

 

Depth was a bit of a concern last year, but Owen limited its effects by carefully controlling tempo; they averaged around 46 ppg and allowed just a hair over 40 ppg...

 

Another young lady with the potential for a breakout year, I think, is Lauren Lowe, a 5'5" senior guard who seems to be a very heady player and is capable of double-digit scoring. Along with Gayheart, she gives the Lady Rebels some outside three-point scoring punch...both hit 32-34% of their threes.

 

Last year's team went 19-8, with the following losses:

 

by 1 to Grant County at home

by 2 to Henry County in New Castle

by 7 to Carroll County in Carrollton

by 13 to Carroll County in Carrollton

by 18 to Carroll County at home

by 11 to Western Hills in Frankfort

by 4 to Walton-Verona at home

by 3 to Oldham County (8th Region)

 

They avenged their three losses to Carroll by beating the Lady Panthers in the 31st final on the Lady Panthers' home court...

 

With essentially the same team back, I look for an even better season for Owen; a 20-win season, a district title, and a solid region run are all distinct possibilities.

 

Concerns: Lack of depth and lack of size means that game tempo is of critical importance to this team. Owen only won 2 games last year when they gave up 50 or more points...

Favorites in the 31st, but do they have anything for South Oldham?? Anderson? Simon?

Favorites in the 31st, but do they have anything for South Oldham?? Anderson? Simon?

 

On paper, based strictly on what those teams all did last season - No. But this is a team that I think that could pull an upset on any given night. The matchups vs. those three teams in particular would be very difficult for Owen... The fact that Owen doesn't generally play any of the top-tier teams in the region, IMO, is a bit of a handicap as well. I don't believe Owen played any of those squads last season...

 

Right now, I see Owen as a bit like Oldham County - plenty of potential, and not a team to be easily overlooked, but still a definite dark horse to win the region at best.

I think Owen will be strong. Anderson and to a lesser degree Simon Kenton were hit hard by graduation. I think coming in Owen could be the #2 team in the region behind South.

Owen will be very good this year, They should be fun to watch.

Owen is loaded for sure!!!!

 

I would agree but the coach has to settle them down and not let Gayheart get out of control. :clap:

I would agree but the coach has to settle them down and not let Gayheart get out of control. :clap:

 

What do you mean by out of control? I thought she played with her teammates very well last year.

I have seen her many times just play like a bull in a china closet.

I guess their success depends on the eligibility of some their players.

:confused:

I guess their success depends on the eligibility of some their players.

 

To what could you possibly be refferring.

Not at liberty to discuss that.

Not at liberty to discuss that.

 

Then don't.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.