August 18, 200917 yr Honestly I don't think it will be that huge of a deal that Smith had missed some time. I just hope they can get him at least 1 or 2 weeks before the season starts. I heard they were pretty close on numbers. Disagree. You have a unit that has one player that hasn't moved position or isn't inexperienced. Williams. O Line play evolves as a unit. I think every day Smith misses is crucial.
August 18, 200917 yr How many picks are not signed? I don't think Crabtree has signed either. Three...Crabtree, Smith, Maybin. This has less to do with Smith and more to do with the Bengals. They're almost always one of the last teams to get their draft pick signed. This seems to happen about every other year with them. If the guy before and after you has signed, then your pay is basically determined. Cincinnati needs to sign him for something in between Sanchez and Heyward-Bey.
August 18, 200917 yr You also know the the player you are referencing is Heyward-Bay in Oakland... a team with a history of being loose spenders and overpayers for high draft picks. I am assuming the debate is more about the guaranteed money. The first tackle in the draft is getting 33 million in guarantees (10 mil a year). Heyward-Bey is getting 23.5 and is averaging 7.65 million a year. Smith is reportedly looking for 5 years, 40 million. 8 million a year. All these numbers come from wikipedia. Point remains I would be skeptical of Smith until he proves otherwise whether he had signed by now or not. It's not Smith or his agents fault Oakland picked right after the team that drafted him. They can't settle for less than the guy after him unless it happened to be a QB. It's not. How many times in the last 10 years have the Bengals had a guy miss no time? How many times has their pick been in the last 10 players signed? I'm going out on a limb and blaming Brown and his family for this. If your Smith's agent and you take less than the pick after you every agent in the world will be using that against you for all rookies in the future. On the other hand if you're Brown and you draft a lineman to protect your franchise QB who was almost killed last year you and you have to overpay a little b/c of Al Davis you do it. It's pretty simple.
August 18, 200917 yr It's not Smith or his agents fault Oakland picked right after the team that drafted him. They can't settle for less than the guy after him unless it happened to be a QB. It's not. How many times in the last 10 years have the Bengals had a guy miss no time? How many times has their pick been in the last 10 players signed? I'm going out on a limb and blaming Brown and his family for this. If your Smith's agent and you take less than the pick after you every agent in the world will be using that against you for all rookies in the future. On the other hand if you're Brown and you draft a lineman to protect your franchise QB who was almost killed last year you and you have to overpay a little b/c of Al Davis you do it. It's pretty simple. :thumb: It's all about the Bengals being cheap. Usually when the guys before and after you have signed, a deal is imminent. It matters not one iota that Oakland chose Heyward-Bay higher than anyone else would have. That's what happened. Deal with it. Only Cincinnati would try to get off cheaper. If they think Smith is a franchise left tackle worthy of the #6 overall pick, then he'll be a bargain at whatever they pay him. Those guys are as rare as any players in the league other than QB's. They need to get him signed and into camp. That's another problem with Cincinnati...at least half the time, their draft classes don't provide any immediate help because they jerk around and don't get them signed until it's too late. Then, they start their rookie seasons behind the eight ball and can't fully contribute until late in the season. It's...are there any other words besides pathetic, sad, pitiful, a joke, etc...
August 18, 200917 yr I think it was a pretty safe bet from the start that Andre Smith would be one of, if not the last draft pick signed by any team. Could see it coming a mile a way. Maybe he has grown out of it, but his lack of maturity through this whole process would make me nervous if I were a Bengal fan. I don't blame him at all. There's a log jam of picks waiting for Crabtree to sign and see what he gets so that they can try to leverage what they receive.
August 18, 200917 yr I don't blame him at all. There's a log jam of picks waiting for Crabtree to sign and see what he gets so that they can try to leverage what they receive. Logjam? There's one guy...Aaron Maybin. The rest of the picks are signed, excluding Smith.
August 18, 200917 yr Author Back to CP. How did his injury occur? I missed it. Rolled his ankle some time during the game against the Saints. Someone else may know the exactly play, but I don't...
August 18, 200917 yr :thumb: It's all about the Bengals being cheap. Usually when the guys before and after you have signed, a deal is imminent. It matters not one iota that Oakland chose Heyward-Bay higher than anyone else would have. That's what happened. Deal with it. Only Cincinnati would try to get off cheaper. If they think Smith is a franchise left tackle worthy of the #6 overall pick, then he'll be a bargain at whatever they pay him. Those guys are as rare as any players in the league other than QB's. They need to get him signed and into camp. That's another problem with Cincinnati...at least half the time, their draft classes don't provide any immediate help because they jerk around and don't get them signed until it's too late. Then, they start their rookie seasons behind the eight ball and can't fully contribute until late in the season. It's...are there any other words besides pathetic, sad, pitiful, a joke, etc... :thumb: We can have this same conversation at least every other year. The only ones they sign early are the glamour positions, wr, pass rusher, etc.
August 19, 200917 yr Rolled his ankle some time during the game against the Saints. Someone else may know the exactly play, but I don't... The long play to 85 down the sideline. I'd guess he would have finished the game if it were a regular season game.
August 19, 200917 yr How many picks are not signed? I don't think Crabtree has signed either. Crabtree needs to wake up. I understand getting paid but he will get paid. Not top 3 because he didn't get drafted that high. He is really hurting himself unless he isn't healthy.
August 19, 200917 yr :laugh: I forgot to put the sarcastic face...lol, but hey Tebow looks good in Orange and Black.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.