May 30, 200917 yr With so much negative pub coming out lately lets get back on track with some good Kentucky news. We have the number one class for this year, and should be pre-season top three for next season. Realistically (and no not just who you want), who do you think Cal will land in the 2010 class? Lots of options on the table, and there are going to be 5-7 scholly's free to use. Who do you think we will land in this class, and why?
May 30, 200917 yr I think they land... Will Barton Brandon Knight Roscoe Smith Doron Lamb CJ Leslie And then... anyone else. I just don't know who.
May 30, 200917 yr I think they land... Will Barton Brandon Knight Roscoe Smith Doron Lamb CJ Leslie And then... anyone else. I just don't know who. How would that class rank against the 09 class?
May 30, 200917 yr Barton is pretty much a lock. I can see them landing Knight, but there is a long way to go in that one. The rest should start getting a little more clear as we get through the evaluation period in July...
May 30, 200917 yr Barton is pretty much a lock. I can see them landing Knight, but there is a long way to go in that one. The rest should start getting a little more clear as we get through the evaluation period in July... So it's hard to say where most of these guys are going to end up right now?
May 30, 200917 yr So it's hard to say where most of these guys are going to end up right now? On a lot of them, yes. Things would be a lot more clear if the April evaluation period was still in place...
May 30, 200917 yr As long as we land Barton, Knight, and another big man, I'll be happy. Maybe another scorer too.
May 30, 200917 yr Author My List (was intended to be after i made the thread but took longer than expected ) I think to get the monster 2010 class we are hoping for we need to get the ball rolling. The guy to get it rolling IMO will be.... Will Barton 5* SG 6'6'' 170 out of Baltimore like I've said in previous threads, his commitment could make Meeks decision to stay in the draft a little bit easier. Should be a top five prospect when it is all said and done, and just keeps getting better. Just had a great showing at the MDC, and has some serious stroke game. Also can drive to the hole and make things happen once he gets close. He is the guy UK really needs, and IMO the most likely guy Cal gets the verb from first. Ranked 7 Rivals / 10 Scout / ESPNU 12 CJ Leslie 5* PF 6'8'' 185 from Raleigh Word of God The signing of John Wall may not just help us next season, but the following season as well. His Word Of God Academy teammate CJ Leslie plays with a force and intensity almost unmatched by anyone else in the class of 2010. Shoots the ball well for a guy his size, and also has the athleticism/leaping ability to go with it. His knocks are that he may not have the back to the basket game you would want out of a supposed power forward, or even the defensive ability. However, in Cal's system this is the four man you want. There seems to be mixed opinions on Leslie however. Rivals has him as the 45th ranked player while he is 12 on Scout. Does playing with Wall really make him what he is? Well we will see this upcoming season, and let it be known Leslie is ready to beat his way to being one of the top guys in the land. Ranked 45 Rivals / 12 Scout / ESPNU 11 Adreian Payne 5* C 6'10'' 210 Dayton Ohio Payne has already been on campus, that is the good thing. After snubbing numerous other visits, or invites to other prospect related functions, Payne is the type who seems to work at his own pace. But with the clock now starting to tick for him to sign away where he will play his college ball, I think it means it is closer for him to sign with Calipari and the big blue. Matta and Cronin are going to be fighting to keep him in state, and Huggy Bear is also looking to real him over to Morgantown. BUT, when its all said and done I think Adreian will be familar enough with Coach Cal and UK that he won't be able to refuse. Patterson, Stephenson, and perhaps Cousins will all be gone, thus opening up a lot of room for a big guy. Payne's not going to give you that much on the offensive end, but is one of the best defensive big men prospects in the class. When he wants to he can also be unstoppable on the boards, but that is if he wants to. However, if he comes to UK, I think Cal, Robic, Antigua, Strickland, and more importantly Padgett will be able to teach him a few post moves (he certainly doesn't have them right now) and he will become a force playing beside of Orton/Pilgrim, whoever. Ranked 8 Rivals / 13 Scout / ESPNU 26 Kyrie Irving 5* PG/SG 6'2 175 St. Patrick's New Jersey To me Irving is a big big piece to next years recruiting puzzle. While after the past couple weekends most would call him an Indiana lean, it is clear Kyrie still has a long way to go before a decision is ever made about his basketball future. If John Cal can talk two point guards into coming together then he certainly could talk the best combo guard in the land to come in and play. Also in Kentucky's corner is Rod Strickland, who is said to be Irving's godfather, pretty good connection there. Cal knows how to recruit, he has the best facilities in the world at his dispense, and once Irving takes a visit to UK I think his decision will be a little bit easier. For those of you that don't know, Irving comes from one of the terrific basketball schools of the New Jersey area, his being St. Patrick's. So without question Kyrie's basketball knowledge/IQ/ and readiness are already top notch and at the high end of the list when compared to the other recruits. He has started out a mid pack top fifty guy and a four star, but has worked his way up all recruiting boards. I predicted earlier he would be a five star, and now he is, before it is all over he may stay top 20 in all rankings, he's that good. To add to that, Irving is a true competitor and always gives 110% trying to win. The best part about Irvings game is he can play both guard positions, and play them good. Thus if he is the only PG we get in this class he would work well with Bledsoe, but would also be able to play alongside guys such as Barton (if he comes), Hood, Miller, whoever. Big time pickup IMO. Ranked 21 Rivals / 8 Scout / ESPNU 9 Doron Lamb SG 6'4'' 175 Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson VA.) Lamb seems to have had his eye on Kentucky and most importantly Calipari for a while. He also attends Oak Hill at the moment which has pipelined endless blue chips Kentucky's way. Calipari is a recruiting genius and if Barton commits first, talking Lamb into still being able to play the same way he did with Wall/Bledsoe would be the next thing he would have to do. The forementioned exchange is what makes me think Lamb would still come. For some reason I have as good as feeling about Lamb verbing to UK as I do any of these recruits, don't know why and I hope I am not wrong. On the playing side of things Lamb can fill it up. Although maybe not the most gifted or special athlete of the class, he can score with the best of them. Inside, outside, shooting jumpers, or driving to the hole, it doesn't matter this guys got it all. More importantly he is like Irving and has a high IQ of the game. These types of players seem to do good for Calipari, and they are also the ones who embrace the Kentucky tradition the most. Ranked 24 Rivals / 20 Scout / ESPNU 36 Those are the five guys that IMO we get no matter what. If lucky, Cal lands either Roscoe Smith or gets Dominique Ferguson to recommit. No chance we would get both and only a 33% chance we get one IMO. Ferguson wants to be recruited like he was in the Gillespie days which was begged, begged, begged. Calipari's just not going to do that, and he has so many of the 2010 players inquiring about playing at Kentucky next year, What also makes this situation rough is if Cal signs a similar player (maybe even a CJ Leslie) then I believe D Ferg goes elsewhere. Ferguson also wants to play the three and not four, and after next years class comes in, no matter who it is I feel we will be set on the wing without Ferguson having to play it, although he would be a perfect 4 in Cal's DDM. So with that said, I don't like our chances as good with Roscoe Smith, although UK is still certainly in the mix. Depending on who else we sign and how hard John Cal gets back after him will determine whether or not D Ferg commits back or ends up playing for Crean, Matta, or even Slick Rick. Roscoe Smith 5* SF (6'8'' 190).............Rivals 16 / Scout 17/ ESPU 23 Dominique Ferguson 5* SF/PF (6'9'' 205) Rivals10 / Scout 9/ ESPN U 8 Also guys I don't think we will get are Harrison Barnes (Rivals #2, Scout #1 ESPNU #1), Brandon Knight (Rivals #1, Scout #3, ESPNU #3), and Josh Smith (Rivals #5, Scout #7, ESPNU #6). Although it is not impossible being the recruiting magic Cal works, I just don't think he could land either the number one or two players for two consecutive years. Knight is a really smart kid, as with Barnes. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Barnes head to Duke or Kansas, while Knight may be taking his classes in UCONN, Duke, or one of the Florida schools, although it is too early to tell. Again these are just my honest and most rational opinions. Am I saying Knight and Barnes won't come? No. I just don't think the chances are in our favor. But, if Wall were to blow up and play huge and get D Rose type height, then Knight may end up coming being he wants to be the next valedictorian in John Calipari's PG U. So this is just my honest opinion most likely to sign list (what I really think will happen, with fingers crossed on a couple others.) Just a few more guys to maybe fill the scholly's or to take the place of some of the ones I may have missed.............. Joe Jackson Vander Blue Phil Pressey Ray McCallum (same school as Joe Crawford)
May 31, 200917 yr I wouldn't count on Payne at all. I think the big stage at UK goes completely against his personality...
May 31, 200917 yr Author I wouldn't count on Payne at all. I think the big stage at UK goes completely against his personality... Maybe. But I just feel that no matter the personality or how laid back and lethargic he is, Dayton is just too small for a guy like Payne. He is going to be a stud post player on every recruiting site, and in the end will be above top 15 in every ranking, those types of guys just don't stay at their home mid level schools, regardless of attitude. Cronin may be able to get a big time hook-up here, and I feel Matta already has too many bigs (Sullinger/Thomas) for him to want to go to OSU. However, no matter the personality, the thought of being able to improve his offense under the tutledge of Calipari may be too much to pass up. He has arguably the best defensive skills in the class, but that alone will not get him to the league. If he is looking long term then he ends up at Kentucky, Pitt, or somewhere like that IMO. If he wants to stay low key like you say then IMO Cinci and Cronin may have a winner. You do get paid to do these types of things G so I'm sure you'll end up being right, but this is just how I see things.
May 31, 200917 yr Author I wouldn't count on Payne at all. I think the big stage at UK goes completely against his personality... How do you feel about the others, concerning their possible futures with UK. Is Payne the only one you see maybe not being a possibility? And if UK is not on Payne's radar in your take, what big may be? Just getting your take G, since you know, you kind of get paid for this type of thing and all. While on the other hand, I am just a young, arrogant sports fanatic that thinks with my knowledge I know more than what I do.:lol:
May 31, 200917 yr Maybe. But I just feel that no matter the personality or how laid back and lethargic he is, Dayton is just too small for a guy like Payne. He is going to be a stud post player on every recruiting site, and in the end will be above top 15 in every ranking, those types of guys just don't stay at their home mid level schools, regardless of attitude. Cronin may be able to get a big time hook-up here, and I feel Matta already has too many bigs (Sullinger/Thomas) for him to want to go to OSU. However, no matter the personality, the thought of being able to improve his offense under the tutledge of Calipari may be too much to pass up. He has arguably the best defensive skills in the class, but that alone will not get him to the league. If he is looking long term then he ends up at Kentucky, Pitt, or somewhere like that IMO. If he wants to stay low key like you say then IMO Cinci and Cronin may have a winner. You do get paid to do these types of things G so I'm sure you'll end up being right, but this is just how I see things. I know Payne pretty well, and he's just a different kid. Remember he was seriously considering Akron last month. The thing that isn't talked about much with him, is he's a lot more raw than the ranking makes you believe. He's had the benefit of playing on one of, if not the, best AAU teams in the country and as such all of the analysts have seen him a ton and know what kind of potential CAN be there, but he has a long long way to go to be ready for the college game...
May 31, 200917 yr How do you feel about the others, concerning their possible futures with UK. Is Payne the only one you see maybe not being a possibility? And if UK is not on Payne's radar in your take, what big may be? Just getting your take G, since you know, you kind of get paid for this type of thing and all. While on the other hand, I am just a young, arrogant sports fanatic that thinks with my knowledge I know more than what I do.:lol: Irving really likes IU. He told me so. The thing with Irving is I think he's more of a system PG, and not a headliner really. I think they are more likely to get Knight or Jackson for that spot. Love Lamb, but he's still pretty wide open to get a good read. Wouldn't shock me to see him land at UK, but it would be behind Barton so you never know. Plus thouse NY Gaucho kids usually stay in the north east, but with him at Oak Hill and out of NYC that's a little harder to read. Haven't seen Leslie this year, but I did hear some rumblins of a visit or two in the works for the summer...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.