Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

St.Pat needs a volunteer coach is this true?

Featured Replies

Does Associate Coach at Augusta pay more than Head Coach at St. Patrick and AD of the elementary? Find that extremely hard to believe.

 

My information is that as one of the responses to a sizable budget deficit, St. Patrick School has taken the step of eliminating a few teaching positions and reducing the scope of others. The PE position (Coach Hinson's position) was one of those that was eliminated. I have heard that there will be no formal physical education class at the school next year; that classroom teachers will have to "catch as catch can" with respect to physical education, but perhaps a volunteer PE coach can be found.

Edited by mcpapa

  • Replies 39
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Associate Coach at Augusta pay more than Head Coach at St. Patrick and AD of the elementary? Find that extremely hard to believe.

 

I would think it would considering that he has a job with the district.

Well it would seem that Coach Hinson would be doing more than just coaching. Does he have a teaching degree? I thought I read on here that was one of the reasons he was not interviewed at Bracken County. I know I read that somewhere or was told that! I would assume he has some type of position at the school or will be working toward his degree!

 

Also, I really feel for the St. Patrick kids and not having any formal physical education. In this day and age and with the way our country is fighting childhood obesity and so forth, it is really sad!

Well it would seem that Coach Hinson would be doing more than just coaching. Does he have a teaching degree? I thought I read on here that was one of the reasons he was not interviewed at Bracken County. I know I read that somewhere or was told that! I would assume he has some type of position at the school or will be working toward his degree!

 

Also, I really feel for the St. Patrick kids and not having any formal physical education. In this day and age and with the way our country is fighting childhood obesity and so forth, it is really sad!

 

I agree with you.

Well it would seem that Coach Hinson would be doing more than just coaching. Does he have a teaching degree? I thought I read on here that was one of the reasons he was not interviewed at Bracken County. I know I read that somewhere or was told that! I would assume he has some type of position at the school or will be working toward his degree!

 

Also, I really feel for the St. Patrick kids and not having any formal physical education. In this day and age and with the way our country is fighting childhood obesity and so forth, it is really sad!

 

Do you have to have a teaching degree to teach PE? Is that what he will do at Augusta? or is the teaching degree he is trying to attain in another field?

Do you have to have a teaching degree to teach PE? Is that what he will do at Augusta? or is the teaching degree he is trying to attain in another field?

 

Yes, and if you teach health, you have to have the classes for that.

There are MAT and alternative programs, where if you have a degree in a teachable field, but do not have your teaching certification, you can take classes and teach at the same time and get your Masters degree.

St Pat will continue to have a physical education program. Someone already teaching at St Pat will be teaching the class. Streamlining is being done to eliminate the budget situation at the school, please remember St Pat has to be run as a business since we do not get any tax dollars (unlike some big businesses in this country we cant get a bailout from the goverment). St Patrick is the same as any business in Maysville at the moment and tightening there belt. I wish Jason all the best he was a fine coach and gentlemen and I enjoyed pitching in to help out when he first took over the team.

Who will coach the St. Pat basketball team now?

St Pat will continue to have a physical education program. Someone already teaching at St Pat will be teaching the class. Streamlining is being done to eliminate the budget situation at the school, please remember St Pat has to be run as a business since we do not get any tax dollars (unlike some big businesses in this country we cant get a bailout from the goverment). St Patrick is the same as any business in Maysville at the moment and tightening there belt. I wish Jason all the best he was a fine coach and gentlemen and I enjoyed pitching in to help out when he first took over the team.

 

As I said in an earlier post, I had heard that PE would not be formally taught; I am glad to hear now that this is not the case. I hope the instructor will have the appropriate background.

 

And I also hope that the school can get on solid financial footing. This talk of cutting and/or scaling back positions, having to find volunteer varsity coaches for the school's (arguably) highest-profile sport, etc. cannot be enticing prospective students and parents. It's always been a source of pride with me that a town the size of Maysville has a private high school. I've taken many visitors downtown and showed them the old Maysville HS gym (currently the Mason County girls' gym) and the St. Patrick gym and remarked on how close they were to each other.

So is the next coach going to be paid or not?

Paying the coach was not the problem. Cutting back and using certified teachers to an efficient manner was why the decision was made. The person that will be teaching PE has an excellent background and actually the students are concerned because exercising will be much tougher under the new PE teacher. You also have two other programs that were tremendouly successful this past year the Lady Saints Basketball who were district champs and Lady Saints softball who were district runners-up to a great Bracken team.

Actually the coach at St. Patrick is not paid by the school. SPAC pays the coaches and their money is totally separate from the school budget. SPAC does funraisers to fund all the sports programs at the school.

 

Secondly, until about a decade ago I don't recall there being a PE teacher in the grade school. The teachers conducted the class, having the kids do organized sports such as soccer, relay races or kickball type activities. I think the teachers can handle PE. Back in my day teachers taught PE and there was no epidemic of childhhood obesity, now we have PE teachers and more kids than ever are overweight. The PE teachers don't seem to be making a diiference, but how can they when kids today spend most of their afternoons on the couch watching TV or playing video games while they eat their McDonalds french fries?

 

And I agree that the a new PE teacher could be tougher, since Hinson was actually doing the same thing as the teachers used to do (split them up in teams and have them play basketball or soccer). Nothing personal against Hinson, but the point of PE is to keep the kids active, which is what he did and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do what he was doing. What he did for PE is about all you can do, and anyone can do it.

Actually the coach at St. Patrick is not paid by the school. SPAC pays the coaches and their money is totally separate from the school budget. SPAC does funraisers to fund all the sports programs at the school.

 

Secondly, until about a decade ago I don't recall there being a PE teacher in the grade school. The teachers conducted the class, having the kids do organized sports such as soccer, relay races or kickball type activities. I think the teachers can handle PE. Back in my day teachers taught PE and there was no epidemic of childhhood obesity, now we have PE teachers and more kids than ever are overweight. The PE teachers don't seem to be making a diiference, but how can they when kids today spend most of their afternoons on the couch watching TV or playing video games while they eat their McDonalds french fries?

 

 

 

Your absolutely correct IMO.:walk:

What is the status of the school and its financial hardship. Haven't heard any updates as far their campaign fundraiser that was issued out to all alumni? How secure is the school for this upcoming year? Could someone in the know enlighten?

What is the status of the school and its financial hardship. Haven't heard any updates as far their campaign fundraiser that was issued out to all alumni? How secure is the school for this upcoming year? Could someone in the know enlighten?

 

 

No one knows....very vague answers from Covington on that subject. One says "I have no doubt the school will be open for the 09-10 school year" which to me means he has no doubt, but isn't a definate yes it will be open. And from the bishop in Covington "It is not my intention to close the school" which imo really doesn't mean it won't close, he isn't going to close it intentionally, but what if it should fail financially, will he have to close it?. Who knows. It won't survive unless some big changes are made.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.