Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dog help--Boxer

Featured Replies

FF just sprung on me that we are getting a one year old boxer that he got TOMORROW. I don't know what to think. Any suggestions would be so wonderful. Are they good with kids, is it smart to get a 1 year old. I am bitter sweet right now.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are the best! Great with kids, they look ferocious but they are the sweetest, most fun dogs I've ever encountered. High energy though! Be happy, they are awesome!

Boxers are intellegent, loving dogs.

 

One of the few things to be careful of is that they are a walking muscle and can knock a little one down by accident. That said they are very alert of their surroundings and should be easy to train to be gentle around the kids.

 

Like Rocket said, high energy, they need exercise. Ball fetching and frisbee are great. Lots of exercise for them, fun for you. They typically like to play tug-o-war...but you'll almost never win.

In my experience they are prone to have territorial and jealousy issues. Mainly because they are overbred severely by ignorant breeders.

Does he know the history of the dog?

If not, then that's not a gamble I'm willing to take when little kids are involved. The dog could've gone through many things over the year that could effect its temperment.

Does he know the history of the dog?

If not, then that's not a gamble I'm willing to take when little kids are involved. The dog could've gone through many things over the year that could effect its temperment.

 

I own and have owned Boxers and they are great dogs. However, I agree with Nees, what is the history of this dog? Adding an adult dog when you have children in the house is more of a risk than I would take.

We had one and she was probably the best dog I have ever had. We got her with a pup and she was good with the kids unless they were out in the yard running then she would nibble at their heels, knock them down etc. She was great most of the time though. She would sleep in my lap every night while I was watching T.V.

I agree that I would be a little leary about bringing an adult in without knowing the history. We ended up having to give ours away because my wife couldn't handle a 1 year old, 4 year old and puppy peeing in the floor lol. I hate it for our little girl because they were so attached.

We had one and she was probably the best dog I have ever had. We got her with a pup and she was good with the kids unless they were out in the yard running then she would nibble at their heels, knock them down etc. She was great most of the time though. She would sleep in my lap every night while I was watching T.V.

I agree that I would be a little leary about bringing an adult in without knowing the history. We ended up having to give ours away because my wife couldn't handle a 1 year old, 4 year old and puppy peeing in the floor lol. I hate it for our little girl because they were so attached.

 

Were your kids peeing in the floor too? :D

FF just sprung on me that we are getting a one year old boxer that he got TOMORROW. I don't know what to think. Any suggestions would be so wonderful. Are they good with kids, is it smart to get a 1 year old. I am bitter sweet right now.

 

If FF sprung it on you, we should have talked a looooooooooong time ago!

 

I assume your children are young. One of the fondest memories my children have is picking out the family dog as a "family". A dog is a HUGE part of their lives. Temperment, bonding, and sizing each other up, are a big part of adopting another member of the family. I would have to know more about Mr. FF to figure out why he took this one on alone. As it stands.... that would NOT have set well in the BWF home.

 

However, you do hold the invaluble "I told you so" card in case things don't go well. On the other hand, you have a dog that you know nothing about around young children. Pick your priorities carefully.

 

As others have mentioned....why would someone give away a one year old dog?

Edited by Beechwoodfan

Were your kids peeing in the floor too? :D

 

That's funny I thought about that after I typed it. Our little boy (2) did yell for me a couple of days ago with a diaper in his hand full of #2:lol: That was a dang mess to clean up!:lol:

  • Author

We went and saw the dog today. He is precious, very sweet, energetic and great with the kids. They ran and played and they all did great. They had a great history on him. He was with a family that was moving and they had no where to take him. He was around kids and apparently put through the temperament test. He is getting neutered which I hear helps. I will keep you posted. I don't want to say I am disappointed in FF, but I think he made a poor judgment call on getting a dog. I will use that "I told you so" card if needed. :) He has always wanted a boxer and I guess he felt he was the one. We will see.

Boxers are great dogs. IMO they are not territorial at all unless you raise them to be that way. My parents have one and he is the most fun and loving dog I have been around.

 

If you want more info on dogs I would look up the site Boxerworld. You will find ton of information regarding Boxers. The one thing I will say is that they do not have much of a temperature regulator in them so when it is hot outside (around 80 or so and higher) you have to keep an eye out on them because they can overheat very easily.

Boxers don't do well in the cold either.

We went and saw the dog today. He is precious, very sweet, energetic and great with the kids. They ran and played and they all did great. They had a great history on him. He was with a family that was moving and they had no where to take him. He was around kids and apparently put through the temperament test. He is getting neutered which I hear helps. I will keep you posted. I don't want to say I am disappointed in FF, but I think he made a poor judgment call on getting a dog. I will use that "I told you so" card if needed. :) He has always wanted a boxer and I guess he felt he was the one. We will see.

 

IMO, that has to be one of the biggest myths ever when it comes to dogs. I've yet to see a dog calm down because it lost its manhood.

 

BTW, I'm glad you know the history of the dog. And if I told my wife I was bringing home a dog without consulting her, she'd probably take away my manhood. :lol:

Boxers are awesome dogs! We've had two over the past 20 years. Great with kids and love to be around people. They are the coolest looking dogs in my opinion. They are stong, so be prepared! Good choice for a family pet.:thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.