Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mark Story = Clown

Featured Replies

Agree or disagree, I always love your posts. Excellent points. :thumb: :thumb:

 

Thank you. I'm not always right, but I at least like to try and be logical in my conclusion making process. I'd rather be wrong, but at least have a well thought out opinion than be right shooting from the hip.

  • Replies 89
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with you and feel the newspapers have a mission as a watchdog. It's their primary role in my opinion. I have no problem with them telling the whole story.

 

Did Mr. Story tell us whether the coaches he seemed to be advocating ever had any players during their coaching careers that ever had a run in with the law? He made a big pointing out that Calipari did, but there was zero, nada, zilch mention about Ford's, Izzo's and Miller's current or past players. Such information would have been part of the whole story, would it not?

 

Furthermore, I'd like to know if the percentage of Calipari's players with run ins was below, at or above average for D-1 schools. That would have also been informative and would have helped paint the whole picture. If he'd have pointed out that while Brooks may have had some association with a past NCAA violation prior to coming to UK but there had not been a sniff of a violation since his arrival, that would have been part of the whole picture too, don't you think?

 

I don't think Story bothered with the other candidates because Calipari was "a done deal." It seems he wrote it with the thought that there's no point in discussing any others, because they weren't coming.

I don't think Story bothered with the other candidates because Calipari was "a done deal." It seems he wrote it with the thought that there's no point in discussing any others, because they weren't coming.

 

But you can't, make that shouldn't because he did, criticize one coach as being wrong for UK and advocate other coaches as being better without discussing if they have similar problems and expect to convince any reader of the validity of your contention.

 

Heck, if I was Todd and read his Open Letter, I wouldn't pay it any heed. Kind of like when I get letters from other lawyers that state: "Dictated but not read" at the top. I usually mail it back to them with a letter stating that after they read it, I will.

You know that for a fact?

 

 

The next time the UK job opens, whenever that would be, there probably will be a powerful hankering among the populace to see a " Kentucky guy" coach Kentucky.

 

 

http://www.kentucky.com/827/story/732236.html

 

 

 

Just a strong hunch. Was trying to find another article where he said Ford should be the next Coach, if and when the position opened.

The next time the UK job opens, whenever that would be, there probably will be a powerful hankering among the populace to see a " Kentucky guy" coach Kentucky.

 

 

http://www.kentucky.com/827/story/732236.html

 

 

 

Just a strong hunch. Was trying to find another article where he said Ford should be the next Coach, if and when the position opened.

He didn't say that Ford should be the next coach. He simply said that of the three "Kentucky guys" (Ford, Horn and Pelphrey), Ford probably had the best credentials.
So posters can write anything they want, without regard for accuracy, and this guy can't write an article, asking legitimate questions?

 

I can't see what in this article causes someone to call him names? I don't read the leader so I do not know the history, but I thought it was right on point.

 

Blind Love cost UK in the last hire. Please do not tell me about how this person or that person never liked the BCG hire. I remember when he was hired how excited every cat fan that I encountered was. You could not say anything negative about BCG 2 years ago because blind love was rampant.

Exactly ... UK rushed to hire Gillispie two years ago without, it appears, taking into consideration some other aspects of his personality.

 

There seems to be the same rush to hire Calipari, despite the notion (in some corners) that he runs a loose ship. I don't believe that myself, but even a lot of UK fans here have made snide remarks about "World Wide Wes" and some other things surrounding Memphis' program.

 

Now, writing about them as Calipari's hire becomes imminent suddenly makes Story a "clown?" I don't buy it.

You could say that about any coach at any level. You cannot quantify what has not happened.
Given UK's checkered history when it comes to following NCAA guidelines, it's a legitimate question to raise. Even more so when someone like Wesley is so closely tied to Memphis' program.

So now Pat Forde is raising some of the same questions about Calipari ... does that make him a dork or a clown?

Bob Stoops had a similar problem a few years back with boosters giving some players jobs, Stoops was never implicated.

 

I equate that to Cal's Camby incident, if Brooks left and Stoops would come to Kentucky, would people say the same thing about him?

 

Journalists are paid to report the news, and put their personal spin on it. Story has every right to question John Calipari's relationship with Agents and World Wide, the only thing is, until the NCAA starts investigating, it's a non issue. For me, atleast.

Bob Stoops had a similar problem a few years back with boosters giving some players jobs, Stoops was never implicated.

 

I equate that to Cal's Camby incident, if Brooks left and Stoops would come to Kentucky, would people say the same thing about him?

 

Journalists are paid to report the news, and put their personal spin on it. Story has every right to question John Calipari's relationship with Agents and World Wide, the only thing is, until the NCAA starts investigating, it's a non issue. For me, atleast.

 

Therein lies the problem. At a school such as UK — which is arguably the most-penalized program in NCAA history — they can't afford to follow the NCAA's lead. They have to be proactive.

Therein lies the problem. At a school such as UK — which is arguably the most-penalized program in NCAA history — they can't afford to follow the NCAA's lead. They have to be proactive.

 

But the NCAA said that World Wide and Cal were clean..

So now Pat Forde is raising some of the same questions about Calipari ... does that make him a dork or a clown?

 

Bozich must be as well, based on his column today. In his defense, he suggests Izzo as a better alternative, which I agree with.

But the NCAA said that World Wide and Cal were clean..

 

As far as they know. It's not like they've conducted a major investigation.

 

And that doesn't change the fact that UK should be well ahead of the NCAA on this stuff, given UK's sordid history.

I was talking to someone today "in the business" of college athletics and he said that you can't discount the impact an article like this in the town paper you're thinking of matriculating to can have.

 

This might be especially true if the Memphis scribes aren't asking these questions.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.