Newport Central Catholic 51 Highlands 45

NCC06

First of all, congratulations to NC on a fine win. What impressed me about NC wasn’t their X’s and O’s but rather their unselfishness. Sandfoss didn’t have a ton of points, but did a great ball distributing the ball to her teammates. If I were Highlands’s Coach during the next practice there wouldn’t be one ball bounced or one sneaker hit the gym floor. The two or three hours would consist of explaining to my team the importance of putting the success of the team above all else. That selfishness is a cancer that can destroy even the most talented teams. When Highland's head coach played she could literally carry a team on her back. Though there are very good players on this Highlands team there don't appear to be any of her caliber. Come out on Monday or Tuesday with the same mentality and they will go home regardless of who they play.

One word for Highlands play, soft. They were outhustled, outplayed and outcoached this evening.

As for the selfishness, I believe that it begins in the stands with the parents. I honestly cannot believe some of the stuff that I hear coming out of the stands. This is a team sport and the parents, players and coaches need to understand that or they will be packing it in early again this year.

I would like to know why Hope Cutter did not get more minutes on the floor this evening. Thought she was there best player tonight on the offensive end and Mallory Adler did a very good job on Sandfoss.

Highlands (24-5) - Adler 3 3 9, Connor 3 0 8, Towles 1 6 8, Cutter 2 4 8, Allen 2 0 5, Macke 2 0 4, Horner 1 1 3. Totals 14 14 45.

Newport Central Catholic (22-8) - Giesler 3 5 12, Bartels 4 2 11, Fryer 4 0 8, Schultz 3 1 7, Tabor 1 4 6, Sandfoss 2 1 5, Ciafardini 1 0 2. Totals 18 13 51.

Highlands 3 13 10 19 -45

NewCath 12 11 10 18 -51

3-pointers: H 3 (Connor 2, Allen), N 2 (Giesler, Bartels).

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20090228/SPT0302/902280425/

Hats off to you NC! My favorite NC player Bartels was tough last night! I thought the bright spot for the Birds was Towles to Cutter in the second half. Both of them played really well together. Sandfoss's dribble penetration was the difference maker in the game. I would love to see both in the Championship game at Kentucky Bank Arena. The 36th may wind up being the best district in the region.

Having Ron Dawn on the sidelines is huge for the Lady Breds. He is the type of coach gilrs and boys go to war for and it sounds like his girls did just that last night. Ladybirds better get it in order because ND Pandas in the first round will be a very tough game.

One word for Highlands play, soft. They were outhustled, outplayed and outcoached this evening.

As for the selfishness, I believe that it begins in the stands with the parents. I honestly cannot believe some of the stuff that I hear coming out of the stands. This is a team sport and the parents, players and coaches need to understand that or they will be packing it in early again this year.

I would like to know why Hope Cutter did not get more minutes on the floor this evening. Thought she was there best player tonight on the offensive end and Mallory Adler did a very good job on Sandfoss.

If you remember, the same thing happened last year in the Birds loss to Conner in the regionals with her. Cutter played great while on the floor, just didn't see the floor very much. I have never really figured out her role on this team. Her playing time seemed to be real inconsistent all year long. Hopefully this is a wakeup call for Highlands. I think anything less than a 9th region championship will be considered a disappointment for the LadyBirds.

If you remember, the same thing happened last year in the Birds loss to Conner in the regionals with her. Cutter played great while on the floor, just didn't see the floor very much. I have never really figured out her role on this team. Her playing time seemed to be real inconsistent all year long. Hopefully this is a wakeup call for Highlands. I think anything less than a 9th region championship will be considered a disappointment for the LadyBirds.

With all due respect to Highlands, anything other than the 9th Region Championship to NDA, Boone and NCC would be considered a major disappointment too. Lace em up and let's get it on!

With all due respect to Highlands, anything other than the 9th Region Championship to NDA, Boone and NCC would be considered a major disappointment too. Lace em up and let's get it on!

I don't disagree. But Highlands was the preseason #1 and until last night had not lost to a 9th region team, including NDA away and Boone away. This is the year this program has been building towards. 6 seniors with jrs. Towles and Allen. They don't do it this year and that window of opportunity closes a little.

I don't disagree. But Highlands was the preseason #1 and until last night had not lost to a 9th region team, including NDA away and Boone away. This is the year this program has been building towards. 6 seniors with jrs. Towles and Allen. They don't do it this year and that window of opportunity closes a little.

So do you still see Highlands as the favorite?

So do you still see Highlands as the favorite?

I do! As he said they only lost to one 9th region team all year long. So they proved they could beat everyone in the region. The lost could be good for them, because now they know they have to step up their game even more now since its tournament time.