Cov. Cath. upcoming Juniors.

scout

Right now there is not a strong candidate for the qb position. I hope a clear-cut winner comes about before the first game. We can't have a situation as we did a few years ago when it changed week to week in the scrimmages and then series to series in the first game.

Agree.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where on the football field are you needed more than at QB? At the HS level especially, it starts at the QB position. You don't take your best QB and play him somewhere else. I do think that the 2 Sr QBs last year played very well. But I also know that, in hindsight the coaching staff wished they would have given Erpenbeck a chance to compete for more playing time at QB. Early in the season he was practicing almost exclusively at LB.

I think giving him more of a shot when Isler was down maybe could have been a good idea, but he was not the better qb out of him and Isler, so if you think the coaches really wish they would have played him over the starter for two years, you're mistaken. Timmerman is the better qb option next year, but he is also a great LB. So we'll have to see. I just think it's wrong to falsely say we have a mini brett favre sitting on the bench, when clearly we don't. Anyone who saw him play knows it..

Timmerman SHOULD be the starter, as Erpenbeck just isn't strong enough. But Timmerman kind of reminds me of Pat Van Sant, which means he probably will be utilized elsewhere where he is needed more. Erpenbeck started last year one game because Isler was injured, and Young had been having troubles. The right guy was the QB for CovCath the past two years, and if Erpenbeck had been THAT good, I think he probably would have been given the opportunity. He just wasn't, so let's not get ahead of ourselves referring to him as a mini brett favre. lol.

Nothing like putting high expectations on a HS kid, by comparing him to Brett Favre :p

I know last year he was not in the QB mix early because he was spending most of his practice time on the defensive side of the ball. Early on he shared time with Timmerman at the JV level, but as Timmerman's PT at LB went up he played less and less JV ball, leaving Erpenbeck as the only JV QB.

I see no use in arguing who should have played last year, and who shouldn't. The reality is that now Erpenbeck is by far the most experienced returning QB. The new coach will have to determine if he is the right "type" of QB for his system. Timmerman defintely has the arm strength to compete at QB, but his lack of experience at QB could be an issue.

One thing is for sure, if one of these two end up being the QB, toughness will not be an issue. I am a big believer having the QB be tough both physically and mentally, sets the tone for the entire team.

That toughness both mentally and physically is what CovCath needs to return to their winning ways. That type of attitude at the QB position can be contagious for the entire team. Not that I am comparing them, but that type of attitude is what makes the Brett Favre's, the Ben Rothlisberger, the Tony Guidugli's the successful QB's on successful teams. I will take that attribute in my QB over a slightly stronger arm anytime.

Was he # 89 last year? I saw their JV play Conner at the end of last season and # 89 made two unbelievable diving catches in the end zone in that game. I think he was lining up as a tight end. He also made several other catches in that game, made a whole bunch of tackles on defense and punted very well. I certainly noticed him and was very impressed.

#89 Adam Shumate??

#89 Adam Shumate??

Not sure of the numbers might have been Graue or Kuykendahl?

Many of the exceptional players from the Sophomore class were playing varsity by year's end ( Timmerman, Torebeck, Connelly, Ritter etc)

I too have only seen one QB out there... not sure who it is, but it's been rough so I'm hoping there are other options at least to consider.

Other than that, it looks like spring football is being run very well. Already like what I see from the new coach!