Cov. Cath. upcoming Juniors.

scout

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what I thought. Hopefully he can get bigger. Also, he seemed quite timid last year, but looks like he can be a player.

I didn't see the "timid" part. I thought he was the most aggressive of the DBs in the Elder game that I saw.

Is one of the incoming Juniors likely to get the starting qb spot or will an incoming Senior claim the spot? I thought I remember reading that Timmerman played qb at some point in his career, but last year he started at least some games at a linebacker spot and the back up qb was also a senior. If my recollection of Timmerman being a qb is correct, is he likely to move back to the qb spot this year? With Wirth running the spread, what candidate has the best skills to play qb in a spread offense?

Is one of the incoming Juniors likely to get the starting qb spot or will an incoming Senior claim the spot? I thought I remember reading that Timmerman played qb at some point in his career, but last year he started at least some games at a linebacker spot and the back up qb was also a senior. If my recollection of Timmerman being a qb is correct, is he likely to move back to the qb spot this year? With Wirth running the spread, what candidate has the best skills to play qb in a spread offense?

Brayden Erpenbeck (sr to be) has the skills that are a very good fit for this type of offense, I equate him to a mini-Brett Favre. He is elusive, has a strong arm and is willing to take a few chances and they usually turn out to be positive. He started the last game last year vs Lou St X and did pretty well considering it was his 1st varsity start. Nothing against the 2 Sr QBs last year, but many felt he should have been the starter all along. Has the total package-size, speed, arm strength, toughness, leadership. Also has no clue what a hook-slide is!

As you know, with a new coach the positions are open. Its probably going to be a 2-person race between Erpenbeck and Timmerman. Timmerman is very raw but has tremendous size. Erpenbeck can be solid.

Too early for me to guess.

As you know, with a new coach the positions are open. Its probably going to be a 2-person race between Erpenbeck and Timmerman. Timmerman is very raw but has tremendous size. Erpenbeck can be solid.

Too early for me to guess.

Erpenbeck will be QB. Troy will be a TE/LB

Erpenbeck will be QB. Troy will be a TE/LB

Was he # 89 last year? I saw their JV play Conner at the end of last season and # 89 made two unbelievable diving catches in the end zone in that game. I think he was lining up as a tight end. He also made several other catches in that game, made a whole bunch of tackles on defense and punted very well. I certainly noticed him and was very impressed.

Brayden Erpenbeck (sr to be) has the skills that are a very good fit for this type of offense, I equate him to a mini-Brett Favre. He is elusive, has a strong arm and is willing to take a few chances and they usually turn out to be positive. He started the last game last year vs Lou St X and did pretty well considering it was his 1st varsity start. Nothing against the 2 Sr QBs last year, but many felt he should have been the starter all along. Has the total package-size, speed, arm strength, toughness, leadership. Also has no clue what a hook-slide is!

I am quite sure if he should have been the quarterback all along he would have been. I believe Isler was a two year starter, which is rare at qb at CovCath. He also, under Rodenberg, was the only freshmen moved up to jv and started at qb as a freshmen. It is easy to knock kids when you want your son or friends to start over them or when a team is doing poorly, but I believe the two head coaches probably knew better than anyone who should have been starting. I think Timmermann would be the stronger qb this year, but will be needed elsewhere because of his athleticism. Erpenbeck was not really that strong the times I watched him. If I remember correctly, Isler started over him after the X game once he was healthy again. I am sure if Erpenbeck had been the better option, he would have continued to start.

Timmerman SHOULD be the starter, as Erpenbeck just isn't strong enough. But Timmerman kind of reminds me of Pat Van Sant, which means he probably will be utilized elsewhere where he is needed more. Erpenbeck started last year one game because Isler was injured, and Young had been having troubles. The right guy was the QB for CovCath the past two years, and if Erpenbeck had been THAT good, I think he probably would have been given the opportunity. He just wasn't, so let's not get ahead of ourselves referring to him as a mini brett favre. lol.

Timmerman SHOULD be the starter, as Erpenbeck just isn't strong enough. But Timmerman kind of reminds me of Pat Van Sant, which means he probably will be utilized elsewhere where he is needed more. Erpenbeck started last year one game because Isler was injured, and Young had been having troubles. The right guy was the QB for CovCath the past two years, and if Erpenbeck had been THAT good, I think he probably would have been given the opportunity. He just wasn't, so let's not get ahead of ourselves referring to him as a mini brett favre. lol.

Where on the football field are you needed more than at QB? At the HS level especially, it starts at the QB position. You don't take your best QB and play him somewhere else. I do think that the 2 Sr QBs last year played very well. But I also know that, in hindsight the coaching staff wished they would have given Erpenbeck a chance to compete for more playing time at QB. Early in the season he was practicing almost exclusively at LB.

Where on the football field are you needed more than at QB? At the HS level especially, it starts at the QB position. You don't take your best QB and play him somewhere else. I do think that the 2 Sr QBs last year played very well. But I also know that, in hindsight the coaching staff wished they would have given Erpenbeck a chance to compete for more playing time at QB. Early in the season he was practicing almost exclusively at LB.

Heck, to the bolded point, if PVS could have passed the ball just 15 yds, he'd have been my qb at CovCath last year.

I can see Wirth putting a lot of emphasis on senior leadership next year and going with Erpenbeck, unless Timmerman is heads and shoulders better.

Heck, to the bolded point, if PVS could have passed the ball just 15 yds, he'd have been my qb at CovCath last year.

I can see Wirth putting a lot of emphasis on senior leadership next year and going with Erpenbeck, unless Timmerman is heads and shoulders better.

He is IMO and will give Erpenbeck a run for his money. Erpenbeck is a great kid, but if he had been the best qb for the last two years, he would have been starting. When Isler went down with an injury the team had a winning record at 3-2 and he was one or two in passing leaders in NKY. Timmerman was very good when he played qb as a freshmen.

Right now there is not a strong candidate for the qb position. I hope a clear-cut winner comes about before the first game. We can't have a situation as we did a few years ago when it changed week to week in the scrimmages and then series to series in the first game.