Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2009 Russell

Featured Replies

I have heard the passing league has shown some hidden talent from Russell. How has 7 on 7 been and do you think we'll see a more wide open offense from the Devils this year?

  • Replies 74
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tradition never graduates! Russell is Russell. The best program in Northeast Kentucky for the last 30 years or so. They will keep winning.

I have heard the passing league has shown some hidden talent from Russell. How has 7 on 7 been and do you think we'll see a more wide open offense from the Devils this year?

 

7 on 7 went well when weather permitted. Russell won the 7 on 7 tournament at Lewis Co. I’m not quite sure what hidden talent you are referring to. You certainly can’t make any predictions or conclusions from passing league.

Russell has 3 or 4 good receivers who can make the worst wobbly duck look good. The only problem is getting them the ball in order to open up the offense, which means the offense will remain basically the same. I believe the defense will be much improved against the pass once they have worked together for a while.

Ah yes, Tradition. Any school with true pride in it's history and a great coach can overcome many obstacles. I truly feel that Russell never rebuilds, they reload. I only know of one losing season in the past 20 or 30 years, if there is more someone can correct me.

 

In my humble opinion, a mediocre Russell team will beat a good team more times than not due to their rich tradition and pride. They expect to win every game and that is a great thing. Good luck this season (except Oct. 23rd!).

Ah yes, Tradition. Any school with true pride in it's history and a great coach can overcome many obstacles. I truly feel that Russell never rebuilds, they reload. I only know of one losing season in the past 20 or 30 years, if there is more someone can correct me.

 

In my humble opinion, a mediocre Russell team will beat a good team more times than not due to their rich tradition and pride. They expect to win every game and that is a great thing. Good luck this season (except Oct. 23rd!).

 

Having this level of confidence, definately makes for a good team, possibly a great one. As long as they balance this against overconfidence, or "cockiness" they should do well. Don't underestimate any team, especially Greenup, this year!

Having this level of confidence, definately makes for a good team, possibly a great one. As long as they balance this against overconfidence, or "cockiness" they should do well. Don't underestimate any team, especially Greenup, this year!

 

I agree...Hopefully they will have learned a few things from last years group on what to do and what not to do. IMO I think last years team never came together. I am finally getting to see groups of kids play who I had watched from JFL. I think Russell will be having a tighter fellowship among the kids coming up. Might take a year or so but these kids coming up are hungry and are learning tradition at an early age.

Well, we're about a month away from the season now. I'm looking forward to see how this year's team does. I don't think they should be burdened with the crazy expectations of the past couple of years and that's a good thing. I do think this year's team has enough talent at the skill positions to win a lot of games, though, and contend against anybody out there. My main concern is the tackle positions on both offense and defense. Does anyone have any knowlegde as to who is going to be playing there?

  • Author

I think Russell will be a little inexperienced in the early season, but I expect them to be strong by the end of the season.

Is this the year GC beats Russell at Russell?

Is this the year GC beats Russell at Russell?

 

Enthusiasm seems to be high for Greenup County football this year. If that enthusiasm translates to the better play on the field, then Greenup certainly has a chance.

 

For a better answer to this question, though, I reserve comment until after seeing what happens in both teams first game on August 21st. :-)

Enthusiasm seems to be high for Greenup County football this year. If that enthusiasm translates to the better play on the field, then Greenup certainly has a chance.

 

For a better answer to this question, though, I reserve comment until after seeing what happens in both teams first game on August 21st. :-)

 

That was the most PC comment I have read in awhile.:lol: Are you running for Charlie Border's vacated seat in the Senate?:lol:

That was the most PC comment I have read in awhile.:lol: Are you running for Charlie Border's vacated seat in the Senate?:lol:

 

You're right...that was too PC...

 

OK...Russell has won the last 8 meetings between these schools and has done so by an average score of 31-10. The last time Greenup managed to beat Russell was in the year 2000 when T.J. Maynard was their coach. So, I'll go out on a limb and say Greenup's new coach and enthusiasm won't be enough to make up a 21 point gap...not this year.

 

Besides, I saw in yesterday's paper that Jack Ditty will likely run for the senate seat. I wouldn't have a chance anyway. :-)

You're right...that was too PC...

 

OK...Russell has won the last 8 meetings between these schools and has done so by an average score of 31-10. The last time Greenup managed to beat Russell was in the year 2000 when T.J. Maynard was their coach. So, I'll go out on a limb and say Greenup's new coach and enthusiasm won't be enough to make up a 21 point gap...not this year.

 

Besides, I saw in yesterday's paper that Jack Ditty will likely run for the senate seat. I wouldn't have a chance anyway. :-)

 

You can win, man!:clap:

Its always hard for Russell to click like they should. Either they have a big line with weaker backs or strong backs and a weaker line. As we all know great teams have both such as Russell state teams and Racelands team last year. I think Will Rice should have a great year on both sides of the ball. I don't see alot of line size but most Russell guards don't need it. Where it will be missed is on the defensive side.

 

I bolded the comment that has been the case at Raceland on plenty of years. I believe that all schools have had that as well. :thumb:

 

Besides, I saw in yesterday's paper that Jack Ditty will likely run for the senate seat. I wouldn't have a chance anyway. :-)

 

:lol: RP, let us know if you decide to run for it. I believe that we can help you.....may not be enough :idunno:but you've got help. :D

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.