Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2009 Russell

Featured Replies

Anyone know how practice is going?

  • Replies 74
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the year GC beats Russell at Russell?

 

Funny!:puke:

  • Author

Does anyone know what is going on at Russell? It seems there are a lot of Jr High football players transferring out. Seems kind of weird for that many to leave at once.

I would guess it's because of the JFL. They apparently have or had enough players to go back to the old days where they play within the system which does away with the middle school teams. High School coaches thought it was a better idea if everyone got to play instead of 15 or so on 8th grade team. Parents must think they have the next D-1 player and lost sight of why they are there in the first place. I haven't heard of any transfers but that doesn't mean anything.

  • Author
I haven't heard of any transfers but that doesn't mean anything.

Three 7th graders and one 8th grader have transferred to Raceland, and I understand that two more are coming.

 

I did hear about the Jr High team going back to the JFL, but I didn't know if that was the whole reason are not.

Why would Russell kids go to Raceland? Russell is a better overall program.

Three 7th graders and one 8th grader have transferred to Raceland, and I understand that two more are coming.

 

I did hear about the Jr High team going back to the JFL, but I didn't know if that was the whole reason are not.

 

From all I've heard and read, it has to do with the Russell JFL's decision to play each other rather than other area schools. Several people were evidently upset with that decision so they went to Raceland. I've heard that Raceland got a few more from Greenup due to their middle school decision as well. You'd think the Rams have hired Calipari as coach down there or something! Suddenly Raceland is the fashionable place to play football. I realize it's not Raceland's fault, but they look to be the beneficiary of several parents' decisions as I've heard several of these players were among the best of Russell's middle school ranks. :-)

 

I will say this, though. With all of these players coming in, the Rams staff is going to have to be like Belichick and the Patriots with their ability to take malcontents from all over the place and mold them into "team" players.

 

Sadly, we won't know which way is really best, though, for probably about another decade after players have had time to go through each system. Then we could compare the success of each program and find out which way turned out to be the best. This should probably be some sort of youth sports case study. :-)

 

From a broader perspective, was it always this easy to just go to whatever school you want? I always thought you had to pay tuition or something a long time ago. Has that gone by the wayside to accomodate the "me" generation? I guess every young player eventually settles somewhere where they feel like they are getting what they want.

 

There have probably been a thousand threads on here before about transfers, and I don't want to turn this into one, but it is an interesting topic that probably should be a thread of it's own.

  • Author
Why would Russell kids go to Raceland? Russell is a better overall program.

It's a matter of opinion, but one of the transfers parents told me today, that they were very impressed with the Raceland program after watching camp this week.

 

I wish I had a dime for every time a parent told me after transferring their child to Raceland, "If I had know this is what Raceland was like, I would have started my child here in kindergarten".

  • Author
There have probably been a thousand threads on here before about transfers, and I don't want to turn this into one, but it is an interesting topic that probably should be a thread of it's own.

You are correct, I don't want to thread jack this thread, it just caught me off guard with the number.

You are correct, I don't want to thread jack this thread, it just caught me off guard with the number.

 

But then again, there don't seem to be too many Russell fans ever on here wanting to talk about football...so I guess the JFL and transfers are as good a topic as any. :-)

 

I'll ask again if anyone is "in the know"...how has Russell practice been going? I have a good idea who most of the starters will be, but let me ask these questions...who is going to play the 2 defensive tackle spots? Who is in the secondary? How about right tackle and tight end on offense? Those are the only positions I'm curious about. The rest are filled in my mind.

From all I've heard and read, it has to do with the Russell JFL's decision to play each other rather than other area schools. Several people were evidently upset with that decision so they went to Raceland. I've heard that Raceland got a few more from Greenup due to their middle school decision as well. You'd think the Rams have hired Calipari as coach down there or something! Suddenly Raceland is the fashionable place to play football. I realize it's not Raceland's fault, but they look to be the beneficiary of several parents' decisions as I've heard several of these players were among the best of Russell's middle school ranks. :-)

 

I will say this, though. With all of these players coming in, the Rams staff is going to have to be like Belichick and the Patriots with their ability to take malcontents from all over the place and mold them into "team" players.

 

Sadly, we won't know which way is really best, though, for probably about another decade after players have had time to go through each system. Then we could compare the success of each program and find out which way turned out to be the best. This should probably be some sort of youth sports case study. :-)

 

From a broader perspective, was it always this easy to just go to whatever school you want? I always thought you had to pay tuition or something a long time ago. Has that gone by the wayside to accomodate the "me" generation? I guess every young player eventually settles somewhere where they feel like they are getting what they want.

 

There have probably been a thousand threads on here before about transfers, and I don't want to turn this into one, but it is an interesting topic that probably should be a thread of it's own.

 

I know why one kid transferred because I did his physical and his mother told me. He will be an 8th grader and he is a 6'2" 173 lb. running back and according to JFL rules, he is too big to run the ball. He would be forced to be a lineman and he doesn't want to do that. I guess this is a dilemma that the Russell faithful will have to figure out, if not, Raceland will continue to reap the rewards of your decision to go back to JFL. Raceland will take all the 6'2" skill players you'll let go.:D

I know why one kid transferred because I did his physical and his mother told me. He will be an 8th grader and he is a 6'2" 173 lb. running back and according to JFL rules, he is too big to run the ball. He would be forced to be a lineman and he doesn't want to do that. I guess this is a dilemma that the Russell faithful will have to figure out, if not, Raceland will continue to reap the rewards of your decision to go back to JFL. Raceland will take all the 6'2" skill players you'll let go.:D

 

That is correct. They went back to the old rule, can't advance the ball if you weigh over 145 lbs. I haven't said much about it but that rule needs to be updated. To the credit of the JFL Board and coaches, they have done a wonderful job of continuing the upgrades to the complex. The field is now lighted which you know is extremely expensive. I just hope they can sustain the class numbers in the future to have enough teams to play. That was the main reason in the first place to go to middle school teams.

But then again, there don't seem to be too many Russell fans ever on here wanting to talk about football...so I guess the JFL and transfers are as good a topic as any. :-)

 

I'll ask again if anyone is "in the know"...how has Russell practice been going? I have a good idea who most of the starters will be, but let me ask these questions...who is going to play the 2 defensive tackle spots? Who is in the secondary? How about right tackle and tight end on offense? Those are the only positions I'm curious about. The rest are filled in my mind.

 

I agree if it wasn't for sideline doc and Ram trying to get a discussion going there wouldn't be much posting. I will answer your questions tonight. We have a few sick kids and it keeps changing.

It's a matter of opinion, but one of the transfers parents told me today, that they were very impressed with the Raceland program after watching camp this week.

 

I wish I had a dime for every time a parent told me after transferring their child to Raceland, "If I had know this is what Raceland was like, I would have started my child here in kindergarten".

 

I have heard the same type comments from several people through the years as well. I am not just talking about in athletics either. People are very impressed with Racelands academics and how things are ran in general at the schools, from the elementary through the high school. Raceland is a top notch school system. I am not saying that other schools aren't good, they (Russell and others) certainly are and imo it is just a matter of where the parents want their child to go. JMO

 

Sometimes I believe that people are too quck to "jump to conclusions" and "assume" why some kids (parents) want to transfer. There are many factors that go into a decision but some thin they know exactly what, why, where and when someone does something. I always say to those.....you know what they say about "assume". :sssh::D

 

I will let this one get back to Russdll football talk now, I was just answering some of the talk about transfers, didn't mean ti hi jack the thread.

Edited by oldrambler

That is correct. They went back to the old rule, can't advance the ball if you weigh over 145 lbs. I haven't said much about it but that rule needs to be updated. To the credit of the JFL Board and coaches, they have done a wonderful job of continuing the upgrades to the complex. The field is now lighted which you know is extremely expensive. I just hope they can sustain the class numbers in the future to have enough teams to play. That was the main reason in the first place to go to middle school teams.

 

Can you just change JFL rules for your league or are they uniform throughout the state? So Russell JFL rules could be different than Raceland's? I am just asking, I don't mean that to sound derogatory.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.