Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2009 Russell

Featured Replies

Can you just change JFL rules for your league or are they uniform throughout the state? So Russell JFL rules could be different than Raceland's? I am just asking, I don't mean that to sound derogatory.

 

Yes you can have your own rules they don't belong to a national organization. If you play an outside team the coaches work out differences.

You can change the by-laws but its not easy. The board members each have a vote and each team had 2 votes. Flag use to have one. As you can imagine there a lot of opinions. I speak in past tense because things could have changed.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you can have your own rules they don't belong to a national organization. If you play an outside team the coaches work out differences.

You can change the by-laws but its not easy. The board members each have a vote and each team had 2 votes. Flag use to have one. As you can imagine there a lot of opinions. I speak in past tense because things could have changed.

 

Thank you for clarifying this.:thumb:

  • Author
Can you just change JFL rules for your league or are they uniform throughout the state? So Russell JFL rules could be different than Raceland's? I am just asking, I don't mean that to sound derogatory.

Yes, in our are each JFL adopts their own bylaws. Raceland's JFL used to have a weight limit, but we did away with about 6 or 7 years ago. We used to play in a league with Ashland, Boyd County, Fairview, Lawrence County, and Greenup County, all of those JFL's used the same rules.

 

The only way JFL rules are uniform, is if you belong to "Pop Warner" or another National Youth Football League and you adopt their bylaws.

  • Author

BACK IN PLACE

After year on line, Russell's Jones set to run

By ROCKY STANLEY / The Independent

 

FLATWOODS — Don’t be surprised to see halfback Travis Jones show appreciation whenever Russell’s offensive line springs him for a big play this season.

 

Jones played running back his entire football life, until his high school junior year.

 

Russell’s coaching staff saw a need at offensive guard prior to the 2008 season and moved him there.

 

“When they told me, I was surprised,’’ said Travis, the son of Red Devil assistant coach Mike Jones. “I didn’t mind to play on the line. I guess part of it was because of how our guards pull. I thought it would be fun. I liked it.’’

 

Link

From what I've heard about all these transfers, in the future, it sounds like that article will read more like this:

 

OUT OF PLACE

Relegated to line, Russell's Jones set to transfer

By ROCKY STANLEY / The Independent

 

FLATWOODS — Don’t be surprised to see halfback Travis Jones wearing a different uniform whenever his offensive line springs him for a big play this season.

 

Jones played running back his entire football life, until his high school junior year.

 

Russell’s coaching staff saw a need at offensive guard prior to the 2008 season and tried to move him there.

 

“When they told me, I was surprised,’’ said Travis, the son of Red Devil assistant coach Mike Jones. “I didn’t want to play on the line so I'm taking my game somewhere else. I'm transferring to the first school that promises me a spot in the backfield. My talents aren't going to go wasted on the line. What Travis wants, Travis gets.’’

 

All kidding aside, it sounds like some of these kids and parents could learn a thing or two from a player who is willing to put himself aside and just do what his coaches tell him to. Kudos to Travis Jones. I hope he has a big senior season.

  • Author

:laugh: Funny stuff Ryan.

I know why one kid transferred because I did his physical and his mother told me. He will be an 8th grader and he is a 6'2" 173 lb. running back and according to JFL rules, he is too big to run the ball. He would be forced to be a lineman and he doesn't want to do that. I guess this is a dilemma that the Russell faithful will have to figure out, if not, Raceland will continue to reap the rewards of your decision to go back to JFL. Raceland will take all the 6'2" skill players you'll let go.:D

 

I'm going to make one commit about this player then I'm done. There's generally more to transfers than we know. I don't know who it is and don't care, but if he is 6'2" a 173 lbs going into the 8th grade he will never be a running back in high school especially if he has not gone through puberty. I'm

thinking nose guard.

From what I've heard about all these transfers, in the future, it sounds like that article will read more like this:

All kidding aside, it sounds like some of these kids and parents could learn a thing or two from a player who is willing to put himself aside and just do what his coaches tell him to. Kudos to Travis Jones. I hope he has a big senior season.

 

:laugh::laugh: Good post RP.

 

I hope that the young Mr. Jones has a good season as well. I know that his dad was one of the best RB's that I have ever seen in this area.

From what I've heard about all these transfers, in the future, it sounds like that article will read more like this:

 

 

 

All kidding aside, it sounds like some of these kids and parents could learn a thing or two from a player who is willing to put himself aside and just do what his coaches tell him to. Kudos to Travis Jones. I hope he has a big senior season.

 

Not to mention the benefit it would have for a RB. You'd think after a year on the line, he might have a better understanding of the plays, blocking schemes, etc...it would seem to have the potential to really help him as a runner...vision, where to look for the holes, how the plays develop, etc.

 

Just a thought. But, you're right, he definitely deserves some credit for taking the move in stride. Not many would do that, IMO.

2006, Raceland had 2 senior running backs that went to offensive line after spending their entire careers in the backfield. The coaches ask them in the winter workouts to change for the good of the team. They went 11-2 and lost in the 3rd round of the playoffs to NewCath. I always like to see kids play the position the coach wants for the good of the team instead of worrying about "me" and personal stats. So, koudos to the Jones kid and I hope his sacrifice for the team last year is rewarded with a tremendous senior season. I hope he has 1,500 yards and 20 TD's (all before Oct. 23rd, of course:D).

I think this year will be an eye opener for some people, they have talent on this team, and they have leadership also, don't count them out,they will suprise you.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

TEAM CAPTIANS are;

Max Rogers #1

Drake Dehofff #16

Will Rice #34

Kamron Smith#59

Lee Marr #62

TEAM CAPTIANS are;

Max Rogers #1

Drake Dehofff #16

Will Rice #34

Kamron Smith#59

Lee Marr #62

 

I am suprised that Jones was not named a captain.

I went to the Maroon/White game this evening and concluded I can't really tell much about the quality of this year's team from an intrasquad scrimmage like this. Maybe Saturday's scrimmage against Spring Valley will reveal more.

Russell had their one and only scrimmage of the season this morning against Spring Valley, a West Virginia school.

 

Russell's defense looked OK, giving up only one score to Spring Valley on a long run. There weren't a whole lot of tackles for losses, but they held the Spring Valley running attack in check. Spring Valley didn't pass a lot so the pass defense wasn't really tested.

 

Russell's offense had big problems moving the ball against Spring Valley. They didn't score any. The line is going to have to see some significant improvements.

 

Overall, it wasn't terrible where I walk away saying that Russell is in serious trouble this year. However, it wasn't impressive where I walk away saying Russell is going to dominate this year. I think focusing on defense is the best way for this team to win a lot of games this year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.