Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who is the best NFL franchise of the Super Bowl era

Which is the best NFL franchise in the Super Bowl era? 54 members have voted

  1. 1. Which is the best NFL franchise in the Super Bowl era?

    • Steelers
      57%
      31
    • Cowboys
      22%
      12
    • 49ers
      11%
      6
    • Other (please specify)
      9%
      5

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Did you leave out the part where the Steelers played 4 of their 6 in a 6 year span?? Also they didn't play in a super bowl in the 80's, it was 1979. I think it is hands down Dallas with the things you posted above.

 

Thats exactly why i didnt pick the Steelers.

  • Replies 52
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best on my unscientific research, I think it has to be Steelers.

 

If you take into account the entire 43 Super Bowls.

 

Pittsburgh has 5 rings with 6 appearances and this year making the 7th. 4 of their 5 rings were in a 6 year period with three other appearances outside of that span. They have technically played in a Super Bowl in 4 decades with 3 in the 70's, 1 in the 80's, 1 in the 90's and 2 in the 00's. They are one of two teams to have played in a Super Bowl in 4 decades. That seals the deal for them over the Cowboys.

 

Dallas has appeared in 8 Super Bowls. The best of any and are 5-3 in those games. They have appeared in a Super Bowl in two decades with no appearances in the 60's, 80's or 00's and are tied with Pittsburgh with 5 rings. But 5 of their apperances came in one 8-year span while the other 3 came in a 4-year span. Two very nice runs but we are talking 43 Super Bowls.

 

 

3rd is a surprise but when you are looking at the entire run of the Super Bowl, they have the resume to be in the discussion. The Raiders. They are the other team to appear in a Super Bowl in 4 different decades. 68 lost to Packers. 77 beat the Vikings. 81 beat the Eagles. 84 beat the Redskins. 03 lost to Tampa Bay. 3-2 record in 5 appearances. One appearance in the 90's or they win the game over Tampa Bay and the RAIDERS would be the team of the Super Bowl era.

 

49ers get the 4th spot with their spotless 5-0 record. But that spotless record is the reason why they are in the 5th spot. Their appearances came in a 10-year span and we are looking at 43 Super Bowls. They beat the Patriots out because they have 5 titles and the Patriots only has 3. Winning breaks the ties.

 

5th on the list should be, the Patriots. They have made 6 appearances and are 3-3. 4 of their appearances are from one decade and they don't have the resume for the entire 43 Super Bowl run.

 

 

Packers get consideration for winning the first two and totaling up a 3-1 record in their 4 appearances while appearing in two different decades.

 

The Colts, Redskins and Broncos get some minor consideration.

 

Great post LBC. :thumb:

 

Although I would put Miami in the conversation before the Colts.

 

Steelers in the 70's won four Super Bowls in Four tries and were in the Conference title game two other times.

 

In the 80's I think they made the Conference title game twice but lost both times.

 

In the 90's they lost their one SB appearance but had at least 2 or 3 other Conference title game appearances.

 

 

As to the Cowboys, they made it to the Super Bowl 5 times in the 70's (winning twice). I think they made the NFC title game at least 2 other times.

 

Dallas made Conference title games in the 80's (twice maybe) but never won or appeared in a Super Bowl that decade.

 

They owned the 90's for about 6 years and kept the 49'ers from a few other titles by winning it themselves. But by the end of the 90's they had fallen and were not heard from since. In fact I'm not sure they've made a Conference title game since the Super Bowl run.

 

So you have to give the Steelers the edge in the 70's, a draw between the two in the 80's, the Cowboys own the 90's (much as the Steelers owned the 70's) and this decade has been much more the Steeler's decade thant he Cowboys.

Did you leave out the part where the Steelers played 4 of their 6 in a 6 year span?? Also they didn't play in a super bowl in the 80's, it was 1979. I think it is hands down Dallas with the things you posted above.

 

From my post...

 

4 of their 5 rings were in a 6 year period with three other appearances outside of that span.

 

Thats exactly why i didnt pick the Steelers.

 

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history

While it might have been from the 1979 season, on Jan 20th, 1980, the Steelers beat the Rams 31 to 19.

Best on my unscientific research, I think it has to be Steelers.

 

If you take into account the entire 43 Super Bowls.

 

Pittsburgh has 5 rings with 6 appearances and this year making the 7th. 4 of their 5 rings were in a 6 year period with three other appearances outside of that span. They have technically played in a Super Bowl in 4 decades with 3 in the 70's, 1 in the 80's, 1 in the 90's and 2 in the 00's. They are one of two teams to have played in a Super Bowl in 4 decades. That seals the deal for them over the Cowboys.

 

Dallas has appeared in 8 Super Bowls. The best of any and are 5-3 in those games. They have appeared in a Super Bowl in two decades with no appearances in the 60's, 80's or 00's and are tied with Pittsburgh with 5 rings. But 5 of their apperances came in one 8-year span while the other 3 came in a 4-year span. Two very nice runs but we are talking 43 Super Bowls.

 

 

3rd is a surprise but when you are looking at the entire run of the Super Bowl, they have the resume to be in the discussion. The Raiders. They are the other team to appear in a Super Bowl in 4 different decades. 68 lost to Packers. 77 beat the Vikings. 81 beat the Eagles. 84 beat the Redskins. 03 lost to Tampa Bay. 3-2 record in 5 appearances. One appearance in the 90's or they win the game over Tampa Bay and the RAIDERS would be the team of the Super Bowl era.

 

49ers get the 4th spot with their spotless 5-0 record. But that spotless record is the reason why they are in the 5th spot. Their appearances came in a 10-year span and we are looking at 43 Super Bowls. They beat the Patriots out because they have 5 titles and the Patriots only has 3. Winning breaks the ties.

 

5th on the list should be, the Patriots. They have made 6 appearances and are 3-3. 4 of their appearances are from one decade and they don't have the resume for the entire 43 Super Bowl run.

 

 

Packers get consideration for winning the first two and totaling up a 3-1 record in their 4 appearances while appearing in two different decades.

 

The Colts, Redskins and Broncos get some minor consideration.

 

Great post LBC. :thumb:

 

Although I would put Miami in the conversation before the Colts.

 

Steelers in the 70's won four Super Bowls in Four tries and were in the Conference title game two other times.

 

In the 80's I think they made the Conference title game twice but lost both times.

 

In the 90's they lost their one SB appearance but had at least 2 or 3 other Conference title game appearances.

 

 

As to the Cowboys, they made it to the Super Bowl 5 times in the 70's (winning twice). I think they made the NFC title game at least 2 other times.

 

Dallas made Conference title games in the 80's (twice maybe) but never won or appeared in a Super Bowl that decade.

 

They owned the 90's for about 6 years and kept the 49'ers from a few other titles by winning it themselves. But by the end of the 90's they had fallen and were not heard from since. In fact I'm not sure they've made a Conference title game since the Super Bowl run.

 

So you have to give the Steelers the edge in the 70's, a draw between the two in the 80's, the Cowboys own the 90's (much as the Steelers owned the 70's) and this decade has been much more the Steeler's decade thant he Cowboys.

I have to give Dallas the slightest edge right now but if Pitt wins tomorrow that would put them ahead in my mind.

Did you leave out the part where the Steelers played 4 of their 6 in a 6 year span?? Also they didn't play in a super bowl in the 80's, it was 1979. I think it is hands down Dallas with the things you posted above.

 

I wouldn't say hands down Dallas, but they are my pick. I certainly think any pick outside of Dallas or Pittsburgh is wrong.

 

More SB appearances and equal wins...as of now.

 

Plus, despite not making a Super Bowl in the '80's or the '00's, they still had some good teams in those decades. Really, the Cowboys have been pretty good other than one bad stretch in the '80's...and I think Pittsburgh stacks up similarly. Both franchises have a similar resume...lots of Super Bowl success and consistently good otherwise with one bad stretch in the midst.

 

Either pick is fine, but I go with Dallas. Also, I think the view may be a little skewed since we're asking this question a day before the Steelers are playing in a Super Bowl that they're favored to win, while Dallas underachieved and missed the playoffs. The present is fresh in the mind and probably carries more weight in the discussion than it should.

I wouldn't say hands down Dallas, but they are my pick. I certainly think any pick outside of Dallas or Pittsburgh is wrong.

 

More SB appearances and equal wins...as of now.

 

Plus, despite not making a Super Bowl in the '80's or the '00's, they still had some good teams in those decades. Really, the Cowboys have been pretty good other than one bad stretch in the '80's...and I think Pittsburgh stacks up similarly. Both franchises have a similar resume...lots of Super Bowl success and consistently good otherwise with one bad stretch in the midst.

 

Either pick is fine, but I go with Dallas. Also, I think the view may be a little skewed since we're asking this question a day before the Steelers are playing in a Super Bowl that they're favored to win, while Dallas underachieved and missed the playoffs. The present is fresh in the mind and probably carries more weight in the discussion than it should.

 

I agree with this. I think picking the steelers is a very trendy thing to do today.

From my post...

 

4 of their 5 rings were in a 6 year period with three other appearances outside of that span.

 

 

 

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history

While it might have been from the 1979 season, on Jan 20th, 1980, the Steelers beat the Rams 31 to 19.

 

 

Anything that fits your agenda I guess.

I agree with this. I think picking the steelers is a very trendy thing to do today.

 

I don't have a lot of love for either the Steelers or Cowboys. (I'm a Dolphins fan)

 

There were as many dry spells for the Cowboys (mid 80's to '91) as there were for the Steelers. While Cowboys have been to more Super Bowls (8 to 6) it's not by much.

 

Good discussion on the eve of the Super Bowl.

Great post LBC. :thumb:

 

Although I would put Miami in the conversation before the Colts.

 

Steelers in the 70's won four Super Bowls in Four tries and were in the Conference title game two other times.

 

In the 80's I think they made the Conference title game twice but lost both times.

 

In the 90's they lost their one SB appearance but had at least 2 or 3 other Conference title game appearances.

 

 

As to the Cowboys, they made it to the Super Bowl 5 times in the 70's (winning twice). I think they made the NFC title game at least 2 other times.

 

Dallas made Conference title games in the 80's (twice maybe) but never won or appeared in a Super Bowl that decade.

 

They owned the 90's for about 6 years and kept the 49'ers from a few other titles by winning it themselves. But by the end of the 90's they had fallen and were not heard from since. In fact I'm not sure they've made a Conference title game since the Super Bowl run.

 

So you have to give the Steelers the edge in the 70's, a draw between the two in the 80's, the Cowboys own the 90's (much as the Steelers owned the 70's) and this decade has been much more the Steeler's decade thant he Cowboys.

 

The Cowboys haven't won a playoff game since "96"...

Anything that fits your agenda I guess.

 

You have no clue. When I first put it together I had Dallas as the top choice. But the Steelers and the Raiders playing in 4 decades put the Steelers narrowly in front of Dallas. They win tomorrow and they are firmly in front of Dallas.

 

Dallas only being to Super Bowls in two decades compared to four decades with the same amount of wins. Seems like it narrowly to the Steelers.

 

Now if the Boys had been in the Super Bowl this year instead of the Steelers, it would be the Cowboys who would be the choice. But they aren't and they ain't.

From my post...

 

4 of their 5 rings were in a 6 year period with three other appearances outside of that span.

 

 

 

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history

While it might have been from the 1979 season, on Jan 20th, 1980, the Steelers beat the Rams 31 to 19.

 

 

It was still the 79 season. Like corndog said anything that fits your agenda. Four super bowl wins in the 70's and counting the 79 superbowl in the 80's,laughable.

It was still the 79 season. Like corndog said anything that fits your agenda. Four super bowl wins in the 70's and counting the 79 superbowl in the 80's,laughable.

 

Goodness, I have no agenda. I don't really care. Just was bored and did the research.

 

My original post said TECHNICALLY they have played in Super Bowls in 4 decades.

 

I am sorry that you don't feel January 20th, 1980 as in the 80's. I will go by the Agent calendar next time.

I'd say 49er's

 

3 in the 80's and 2 in the 90's.

 

It was still the 79 season. Like corndog said anything that fits your agenda. Four super bowl wins in the 70's and counting the 79 superbowl in the 80's,laughable.

 

You know what is sooooo funny about your post.

 

The 49ers won two Super Bowls in the 90's according TO YOUR POST.

 

One on Jan 29th, 1995.

One on Jan 28th, 1990. Let me repeat that. 1990.

 

For the Steelers winning in 1980, you call that laughable.

For the 49ers winning in 1990, you call that 2 in the 90's.

That is hilarious that you call me out for a mistake, IYO, and make the IDENTICAL call in support of YOUR ARGUMENT.

So, which is it Agent. Did the Steelers win one in the 80's or the 49ers win 4 in the 80's?

It may be the perfect time to use some new smileys!:ohbrother::isurrender:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.