Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

13th region Baseball

Featured Replies

Cumberland High School did dominate the 13th region in the late '80s and early '90s (but they were loaded with fundamentally talented players), seems like they ran off like 5 straight championships from '86-'90. Freddy Maggard and David Shoop were two of many very solid baseball players to play for the Redskins. Maggard was drafted by the Pirates but chose to QB at UK and Shoop went on to play for Morehead. Coach Lewis played on some of these teams, I think?

 

Well to be fair, the region has changed a little bit. First of all, neither Laurel County schools were in the 13th at that time. SL and North would have no doubt been a factor.

 

Also, wasn't Middlesboro just as good during the 80's and early 90's? Just by looking it up, I know they went to the final four sometime in the early 80's and in 92 which means they at least won the region in those years. I'm sure there were others.

 

 

Also, Cumberland was LOADED during that time and haven't come close to that talent since. Not even close. Not even combined with the other Harlan County schools.

 

Lewis may have well played during that time but that doesn't change the fact that his record pegs him as an average coach at best.

  • Replies 102
  • Views 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch out 4 Williamsburg and Whitley there both pretty strong. Williamsburg has Barton which no one else does so that's a plus, they add the hitting of seniors Conlin and Teague. Then Junior Ryan Moses who has the best bat in the region then the finish with Sophmore Jones who's a good contact hitter. Whitley has Cody Jones enough said.

Watch out 4 Williamsburg and Whitley there both pretty strong. Williamsburg has Barton which no one else does so that's a plus, they add the hitting of seniors Conlin and Teague. Then Junior Ryan Moses who has the best bat in the region then the finish with Sophmore Jones who's a good contact hitter. Whitley has Cody Jones enough said.

Best hitter in the 13 Region Ryan Moses:idunno:

Well to be fair, the region has changed a little bit. First of all, neither Laurel County schools were in the 13th at that time. SL and North would have no doubt been a factor.

 

Also, wasn't Middlesboro just as good during the 80's and early 90's? Just by looking it up, I know they went to the final four sometime in the early 80's and in 92 which means they at least won the region in those years. I'm sure there were others.

 

 

Also, Cumberland was LOADED during that time and haven't come close to that talent since. Not even close. Not even combined with the other Harlan County schools.

 

Lewis may have well played during that time but that doesn't change the fact that his record pegs him as an average coach at best.

 

 

Let It go...My gosh, You'll see :deadhorse:

Watch out 4 Williamsburg and Whitley there both pretty strong. Williamsburg has Barton which no one else does so that's a plus, they add the hitting of seniors Conlin and Teague. Then Junior Ryan Moses who has the best bat in the region then the finish with Sophmore Jones who's a good contact hitter. Whitley has Cody Jones enough said.

 

I understand Cody Jones is out with an ACL injury. Williamsburg will have to vastly improve on fundamentals, fielding, and hitting to challenge in the district this year. I'm a huge Williamsburg follower, but I'm also a realist. I just don't think they have the pitching to cover these other weaknesses, as I thought was aptly displayed in their scrimmage with North Laurel tonight. It's difficult for me to understand why they seemingly have the same problems each year. The last group that was fairly sound fundamentally was the year Andy Greer was a senior, and had solid pitching from Reynolds, Foley, and Jones, outstanding defensive catching from Root, and a pretty solid infield and outfield. That group was also pretty good offensively and very unselfish. Is it due to the little league programs diminishing? Is it just a cycle? Is it coaching? Maybe all of the above, I really don't know. I hope I'm wrong about this season's team and they improve by leaps and bounds. Moses does have an outstanding bat and is as sound fundamentally as any kid I've seen there, and Barton has alot of talent that should be developed. Any way I've rambled, best of luck on the season.

Also, wasn't Middlesboro just as good during the 80's and early 90's? Just by looking it up, I know they went to the final four sometime in the early 80's and in 92 which means they at least won the region in those years. I'm sure there were others.

 

 

Very good?

Yes

 

Just as good?

Wrong

 

 

Regional championship games from 1983-93

 

1993 Cumberland 5, Corbin 4

1992 Middlesboro 4, Corbin 0

1991 Cumberland 7, Knox Central 4

1990 Cumberland 1, Corbin 0

1989 Cumberland 12, Corbin 2

1988 Cumberland 15, Harlan 2

1987 Cumberland 5, Middlesboro 4

1986 Cumberland 16, Corbin 5

1985 Cumberland 4, M.C. Napier 3 (Cumberland was in 14th Region)

1984 Middlesboro won (no score available)

1983 Cumberland 7, M.C. Napier 5 (Cumberland was in 14th Region)

Cumberland High School did dominate the 13th region in the late '80s and early '90s (but they were loaded with fundamentally talented players), seems like they ran off like 5 straight championships from '86-'90. Freddy Maggard and David Shoop were two of many very solid baseball players to play for the Redskins. Maggard was drafted by the Pirates but chose to QB at UK and Shoop went on to play for Morehead. Coach Lewis played on some of these teams, I think?

 

 

 

John Lewis started at catcher on four straight regional championship teams from 1985 to 1988.

 

I doubt any 13th Region has had a better pitching staff in the last 30 years than Cumberland did on the 1985 sectional championship team. Lewis Morris was AP Athlete of the Year as a senior, and I think he signed with ETSU. Otis Lewis was a five-year starter who went on to play at Western. Freddie Maggard was drafted by the Kansas City Royals but went on to play quarterback at the University of Kentucky.

 

David Shoupe played at Morehead State and Mike Dudash pitched at Georgetown, and numerous other players went on to play college baseball.

John Lewis started at catcher on four straight regional championship teams from 1985 to 1988.

 

I doubt any 13th Region has had a better pitching staff in the last 30 years than Cumberland did on the 1985 sectional championship team. Lewis Morris was AP Athlete of the Year as a senior, and I think he signed with ETSU. Otis Lewis was a five-year starter who went on to play at Western. Freddie Maggard was drafted by the Kansas City Royals but went on to play quarterback at the University of Kentucky.

 

David Shoupe played at Morehead State and Mike Dudash pitched at Georgetown, and numerous other players went on to play college baseball.

Why has this post turned into the glory days.How about we talk about the players playing right now.
I understand Cody Jones is out with an ACL injury. Williamsburg will have to vastly improve on fundamentals, fielding, and hitting to challenge in the district this year. I'm a huge Williamsburg follower, but I'm also a realist. I just don't think they have the pitching to cover these other weaknesses, as I thought was aptly displayed in their scrimmage with North Laurel tonight. It's difficult for me to understand why they seemingly have the same problems each year. The last group that was fairly sound fundamentally was the year Andy Greer was a senior, and had solid pitching from Reynolds, Foley, and Jones, outstanding defensive catching from Root, and a pretty solid infield and outfield. That group was also pretty good offensively and very unselfish. Is it due to the little league programs diminishing? Is it just a cycle? Is it coaching? Maybe all of the above, I really don't know. I hope I'm wrong about this season's team and they improve by leaps and bounds. Moses does have an outstanding bat and is as sound fundamentally as any kid I've seen there, and Barton has alot of talent that should be developed. Any way I've rambled, best of luck on the season.
Root was the man for W'burg last year. They will miss his leadership big time. Is he playing college ball anywhere?

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

I understand Cody Jones is out with an ACL injury. Williamsburg will have to vastly improve on fundamentals, fielding, and hitting to challenge in the district this year. I'm a huge Williamsburg follower, but I'm also a realist. I just don't think they have the pitching to cover these other weaknesses, as I thought was aptly displayed in their scrimmage with North Laurel tonight. It's difficult for me to understand why they seemingly have the same problems each year. The last group that was fairly sound fundamentally was the year Andy Greer was a senior, and had solid pitching from Reynolds, Foley, and Jones, outstanding defensive catching from Root, and a pretty solid infield and outfield. That group was also pretty good offensively and very unselfish. Is it due to the little league programs diminishing? Is it just a cycle? Is it coaching? Maybe all of the above, I really don't know. I hope I'm wrong about this season's team and they improve by leaps and bounds. Moses does have an outstanding bat and is as sound fundamentally as any kid I've seen there, and Barton has alot of talent that should be developed. Any way I've rambled, best of luck on the season.

 

I agree with you Volfan, Williamsburg's pitching has a long ways to go from what I saw.

Root was the man for W'burg last year. They will miss his leadership big time. Is he playing college ball anywhere?

 

Football..University of the Cumberlands

Why has this post turned into the glory days.How about we talk about the players playing right now.

 

 

 

Talk about whoever you like, but if you pay attention you may learn something.

Watch out 4 Williamsburg and Whitley there both pretty strong. Williamsburg has Barton which no one else does so that's a plus, they add the hitting of seniors Conlin and Teague. Then Junior Ryan Moses who has the best bat in the region then the finish with Sophmore Jones who's a good contact hitter. Whitley has Cody Jones enough said.

 

Cody has alot of athletic talent but, can't win alone. Whitley has alot of talent to go along with him. I look for the Colonels to make some noise this year. If the Colonels can stay healthy, they have the talent to make a run at region. Go Colonels!

Talk about whoever you like, but if you pay attention you may learn something.
Denny Mclain was the best pitcher ever to come out of Harlan.
Denny Mclain was the best pitcher ever to come out of Harlan.

 

 

 

McLain isn't from Harlan.

 

He pitched one summer here in Appalachian League baseball in the 1960s.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.